Sign in to follow this  
Joanna Lizcano

Road to recovery

I’m kind of lost. I’m a single teen mom and I sometimes wonder if I’m capable of being able to take care of myself and my son. My family is supportive. And so is the father of my son and his family too. But I wonder can I ever find love again? Can I be happy with my own skin again? 

Hello Joanna,

It's good to hear that you are surrounded by support. Have you considered speaking with your mother? I don't yet have children, so I can't really speak to how your body has changed. It may take time for you adjust. Don't be too hard on yourself. I would encourage you to reach out to women you know who have had children and enjoy being parents. May I ask, why are you a single parent if the baby's father is supportive? You aren't alone. I encourage you to seek out a counselor who can help the both of you together on this journey. You may need to learn what your roles in the child's life will be. I grew up without a proper dad. It was tough. If he's willing to be a part of your child's life, that's a great opportunity! I don't doubt that it'll take time for him to adjust as well. Please don't be afraid to continue building a relationship with him through this new stage in both your lives. And please, don't allow yourself to be isolated, even in your thoughts, share them with those you trust. Don't be afraid or embarrassed to ask questions or voice concerns. You're blessed to have the support of two families, as is your child. Embrace them. ((hugs))