How long before withdrawal starts?

Hi, y'all. I take 300mgs Effexor XR right when I wake up in the morning. I've been on this for years and it's the only AD that's ever worked for me. 

I was out of my Rx yesterday morning (I hadn't gotten around to picking up my refill yet) and I started to feel depression coming on a few hours later. Could I have been "withdrawing" that soon? 

Or, was the oncoming depression just a "self-fulfilling prophecy," due to the fact that the night before I had been thinking about what would happen if I didn't pick up my Rx?

I'm having a hard time believing that a 12 hour delay in taking my dose *one time* would have such an immediate impact.

47 minutes ago, GingerM said:

Hi, y'all. I take 300mgs Effexor XR right when I wake up in the morning. I've been on this for years and it's the only AD that's ever worked for me. 

I was out of my Rx yesterday morning (I hadn't gotten around to picking up my refill yet) and I started to feel depression coming on a few hours later. Could I have been "withdrawing" that soon? 

Or, was the oncoming depression just a "self-fulfilling prophecy," due to the fact that the night before I had been thinking about what would happen if I didn't pick up my Rx?

I'm having a hard time believing that a 12 hour delay in taking my dose *one time* would have such an immediate impact.

That's just your mind tricking you. Kinda like the placebo effect... There are physically addictive drugs with immediate withdrawal effects but ADs generally aren't that big a deal if you take a dose late. 

Yeah, I think it was in my head. I had gotten some bad news earlier in the day, and I think the depression I was starting to feel  was just a natural reaction to it.

For the record, Effexor does have physical withdrawal effects (I know, because I've been through them), but I agree that one late dose isn't enough to trigger them.

• 2 years later...