Sign in to follow this  
weareinfinite

Good Pets for Depression?

I really would like to get a pet. I think it would bring me some more happiness and something else to focus on. In my apartment I cannot have dogs or cats though. Besides fish, is there anything anyone has personal experience with that would be a good idea? Or any advice in general if this would help me?

Maybe bunnies? they certainly make a good target for human affections but I've also heard they're kind of fragile and require a lot of care, but maybe that could be a positive given what you're looking for?

If you're in the U.S., you could talk to a doctor/therapist about prescribing you an emotional support animal (ESA). ESAs aren't allowed to go everywhere in public like a service dog, but through the American's with Disabilities Act (ADA), they should be allowed in any housing as they're considered a reasonable accommodation. So even if your apartment doesn't allow cats or dogs, if a doctor says one would help you with your depression, your apartment can't really say no. They'd have to prove that it would be an unreasonable burden for them to not allow it. 

I started looking into this before I lost my health insurance, trying to find the right person to write a letter for me. Hopefully I'll be able to follow through with it once my new insurance kicks in. 

Depending on what you're looking for, a bird could be very nice! While not all birds are incredibly affectionate, they are quite chatty. They're also great if you're lonely! Even though my grandfather's bird is extremely grumpy, he still manages to make me and my cousins extremely happy, so I would definitely highly suggest one. They are hard work, but most animals are, so I wouldn't exactly put that as a downside for them. I hope that you're able to overcome your depression, and that you find a loving pet for your home.

I actually moved in order to get a pet. It took me some time before I could find the right, affordable place, but I very much wanted a cat and so it was important to me. Best decision I ever made.

Have you considered a bird? I had parakeets growing up and adored them. I think if I were going to get one now, I'd probably get a cockatiel; I don't know much about them, but I've known a number of folks who've had them who really loved them. I had all sorts of animals growing up - reptiles, amphibians, small mammals, birds - and I think the key is knowing how much care, time, and attention you are able and willing to provide. What you can give you will get back tenfold.

I have a cat, don't know where she came from, I opened my door one day and there she was. I don't know her name so I just call her cat. She follows my everywhere in the house, she'll out to the patio but never goes downstairs. She's good company for meand keeps me occupied. 

It depends on how much work or interaction you want.

Ferrets are very friendly and love to play, but need a lot of attention.  Guinea Pigs are also super friendly and just like to hang out, eat and be petted (they need daily vitamin C to remain healthy).

Birds are cool and interesting, but not cuddly - if you want something to pet.  Green Cheek Conures are full of personality. Cockatiels can also be nice.  You can teach them both to whistle and talk. (Just don't get a Sun Conure - noisy!)

Some hamsters can be quite bitey, but not always. They are also nocturnal so they're up all night running on a wheel.  

Bunnies can be nice, but can hurt themselves or you if not held right (strong back legs).

Edited by 1966michigan

It's a perfect idea to get a pet! My Syrian hamsters have always been a great help (you can keep just one in the cage, they don't like company)...these hamsters are cute, fluffy, nice to look at...but they are not very smart, the hamster I have now is bitey and anxious even though I try to tame him...so I would prefer rats if I could keep them...

pet rat is a great idea.they are smart and loving.similar to dogs they come if you call their name,give you kisses

,can tech them tricks... but if you get a rat its better to get 2 so that they wont be lonely when your not around.

4 hours ago, 6dantex6 said:

but if you get a rat its better to get 2 so that they wont be lonely when your not around.

But then they might try to take over the world! (Sorry, couldn't resist the Pinky & the Brain reference :Coopwink:)

2 hours ago, Nisemono said:

Lol. I remember reading that the majority people with cats in the US never actually chose to own a cat. The cat chose them. Your story is suprisingly common. Humans don't choose their cats, cats choose their humans.

Honestly if it weren't for this fur ball I think I'd be worse off. I try keeping her out of the bedroom when I go to sleep but she'll, I guess cry till I let her in but she never scratches the door, just keep meowing till she tires me out and I let her in. She runs in, runs around, lays down by my feet, when I wake up she's laying on my pillow, right above my head. I think SHE thinks she's a dog because she follows me all around the house and patio but she never goes downstairs. I've had birds land almost next to us and she won't even look their way. I might have to take her to my pdoc, there has to be something wrong with her. Lol. She came to me right when I needed her most. I haven't given her a name just in case she decides to leave me. I hope not, then I'll be totally alone. No one to fret about or take care of, so I just call her cat. 

2 hours ago, Nisemono said:

Lol. I remember reading that the majority people with cats in the US never actually chose to own a cat. The cat chose them. Your story is suprisingly common. Humans don't choose their cats, cats choose their humans.

I might just get a tattoo of her with "cat" for her name. Lol. Txs

I also have a cat for about 7 months now. It's nice to have some company. But she's becoming an increased burden to me. She keeps me awake at night because of her extremely loud screaming. Her mental health is declining, and she's also quite deaf. She's an old cat, about 18 years. Supersweet, but sometimes I am getting furious because I can't get sleep during the night. Not the cat's fault of course.

I'm very lucky I don't have to work (or am I) so I can nap during the day when the cat's also napping. But I hate how it changes my daily rythm. Pets can also be expensive, it's not just food and the occasional check-up. I'd definitely recommend starting with something easily maintainable. Because especially when you're depressed, it become extra difficult to do the required daily maintenance.

Damn my weak mind and damn this depression.

On 10/1/2017 at 0:08 AM, Nisemono said:

Our cats chose us, also. I'm so sorry that your apartment doesn't allow cats and dogs... I've owned many cats and they have been wonderful companionship. Our current cat loves our children that when we take them to school and come back home, he walks up to us inquisitively as if to wonder where the children went.