Sign in to follow this  
Steve P

What do you do?

What Do you do when the only thing that helps with your depression/anxiety is Klonapin, Xanex, or one of the other benzos?  Do you just suffer in pain, or get addicted?

1 hour ago, Steve P said:

What Do you do when the only thing that helps with your depression/anxiety is Klonapin, Xanex, or one of the other benzos?  Do you just suffer in pain, or get addicted?

I used to take 2 - 4mg Klonopin daily plus Xanax as needed for around two years. Luckily I didn't get addicted and was able to stop cold turkey once I no longer got daily panic attacks, I did get withdrawal effects for about 3 months though which were rather unpleasant. If benzos help you function then I don't see anything wrong with it but you do need to be careful not to get too addicted, I heard many horror stories of people unable to stop... I think the thing to watch out for is if you run out of pills before your next refill, that's when you know you need to be careful. 

22 minutes ago, Phantastic Mirage said:

I still use food to cope.  Does that count as an addiction?

Definitely! Almost anything can be abused, some people even abuse otherwise healthy things like sports to forget about their problems. 

On 2017-09-23 at 10:56 AM, Steve P said:
Advertisement

I take Ativan every say or two. It helps. Without it I have crippling anxiety and depression. I make my prescription last until the next refill. That helps me not get addicted. My doctor asked me if I needed increase and I said no. I don't need more than I get. If I got more I worry I would be addicted.  I get 60 ativans every 60 days I think. I take 1.5 each time, very rarely 2, and sometimes just 1. 

I've been prescribed something called Hydroxyzine of Atrax, it's an antihistamine, but it does help my anxiety and does help me sleep when I take higher doses. It's not addicting, and you can take high doses, maybe you can ask your provider for something like that. One time I had to take a pill everyday for a week because things were so stressful and the anxiety was so bad. Hope this information helps. Hang in there.

On 9/23/2017 at 10:39 AM, Phantastic Mirage said:

I still use food to cope.  Does that count as an addiction?

Yes it does, and I use that too lol. But for me, it's the lesser of the bad behaviors.

I've got oxazepam (Opamox) as benzos but I was recently prescribed quatepiane (Ketiapinor, Seroquel) for anxiety and sleeping because my doctor thinks I've got enough to deal with other than drug addiction. 

At the moment I'm suffering from severe depression so luckily it takes the edge off from anxiety as I feel numb. When the depression gets better the anxiety kicks in. It's always either or.