Donate Now Read more... ×
OverCaffeinated93

I can't even bring myself to practice basic hygiene

First of all I want to say I'm very new hear and while I have read the terms and many pinned posts if there is an issue with this one could someone please message me and let me know why it needs to be edited or removed so I can do better next time. TIA

I get so overwhelmed at the thought of taking a shower and everything that happens during and afterwards to get ready to go out of the house. Tonight I am going out with my best friend and I know what I have to do to get ready. Use a medicated cream for my skin disorder, shower, shave, get dressed, blow out my hair, straighten my hair, do my nails, brush my teeth, and put on make up. This entire routine would take me about 4 hours if I took zero breaks and taking breaks usually helps me. But my depression also makes me procrastinate and I have to leave here in 5 hours and I just can't get off of the couch. I don't want to do any of it. It's such a giant hassle and I wish that none of it were necessary! But if I don't do every bit of it I'll feel like crap. Especially compared to my friend who looks flawless no matter what.

I used to listen to music when I got ready but that just makes my dogs bark like crazy now and stresses me out because my neighbors will call animal control at the slightest peep and I can't afford a fine. I used to enjoy the whole process and see how much better I looked and felt after every step. But the past 2.5 years I've dreaded it. I've probably taken 20 showers in 2017. And I can't even imagine how much I've spent at the dentist to fix my jacked up teeth that are entirely my fault. I've tried using a timer and that just makes my anxiety go nuts because I feel rushed.

Anyone have any tips or at least is anyone in a similar boat or was? I feel like such a terrible person because I can't do basic human things.

I have the same issue. Except the extras never happen. Just a basic shower takes a week. Ill have hiked or gone to hot yoga...dripping in sweat. Ive even pulled it off being filthy from gardening and just wiping down the visible dirt.

Pulling it off lol...interesting that i said that because i was once told by a family member: you arent fooling anyone.

Doesnt matter if i have to be somewhere or im running my business. I too would love how to change this but i have zero motivation for it.

I can usually manage to get myself to take a shower but have to admit that I've neglected dental hygiene, too often I just end crashing in the evening and going to bed without brushing my teeth or taking my contacts out first. Surprising that I haven't had to have a root canal yet though I do know that I'll have to have my wisdom teeth taken out sooner or later since 2 of them have cavities, was more of an issue of not being able to reach them with a toothbrush though since it took years for them to fully erupt. I just hate going to the doctors (not scared, just hate spending hours on the phone trying to get appointments) and tend to procrastinate until I'm in pain. 

I was the same. During and after my divorce, I was in the deepest depression of my life. Just the thought of getting in the shower was overwhelming. The simplest tasks were too much. I was a gross, smelly mess. When I did eventually manage to shower, it took a huge effort and seemed to take sooo long, for whatever reason. I ended up getting on Effexor and it changed my life. It enabled me to have hope for the future, and cleared my mind enough so that I could make decisions and (eventually) find solutions.

Even today, I often dread having to shower and "get ready" to go somewhere. I try to focus on how GOOD I'll feel afterward. And I always DO feel better.

Have you tried meds?

I

19 hours ago, lonelyforeigner said:

I can usually manage to get myself to take a shower but have to admit that I've neglected dental hygiene, too often I just end crashing in the evening and going to bed without brushing my teeth or taking my contacts out first. Surprising that I haven't had to have a root canal yet though I do know that I'll have to have my wisdom teeth taken out sooner or later since 2 of them have cavities, was more of an issue of not being able to reach them with a toothbrush though since it took years for them to fully erupt. I just hate going to the doctors (not scared, just hate spending hours on the phone trying to get appointments) and tend to procrastinate until I'm in pain. 

Dental hygene is very important, I've had countless problems, including root canals,  at least six teeth had to be pulled, have glued-in bridges, several stand-alone crowns and ultra-expensive implants.   I would suggest creating a daily ritual, to make it more interesting and effective.  I brush with a regular toothbrush, then use dental floss, and finally a Water Flosser, by waterpik.   The warterpik device isn't necessary for you as you probably don't have all the problems I have, but it really makes your mouth feel fresh, especially if you rinse with some mouthwash after everything is done.  Believe me, it pays off in the end when you go to the dentist and all you need is a cleaning.    

Edited by Lumen