Advertisement
  • Announcements

• Lindsay

A Reminder that we are a PG13 Site   12/09/2016

Please keep in mind that NO content can be posted that is not PG13!  No sexual content and definitely not images which is not permitted in a post! We will delete it.  Not even memes or humorous images should be posted, if you want these forums to continue. NO IMAGES! If you want to post an image, post the URL pointing it to your gallery.  Again, Depressionforums.org is PG13!! Thank you~ ~Forum Admin  
Sign in to follow this  
GAJ123

Does anyone here own a Smartwatch?

10 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post  

Advertisement

I was looking into possibly getting one but would you say it's worth getting or would getting a traditional watch be better? I was looking into maybe an Apple Watch or the new Fitbit smartwatch. 

You might also be interested in:

Posted · Report post  

The thing is you still need to attach your smartphone to it. I think its OK for younger people to play with it but I see nothing wrong with using my regular watch and my smartphone separate. If you set a smartwatch for texts or emails, its a big no-no if you are driving or in loud place if you use calls. Too small for everything as well. Standalone watch is OK but then you still need charging it. IMO it is unnecessary luxury.

Posted · Report post  

Really depends on what you need it for. If you only want it to check the time then a traditional watch will do a better job (no need to charge it every night) but if you want a fitness tracker than a smartwatch would be your better choice. All the other features are something you'll use for a few days until the novelty wears off, not really practical since navigating to the right menu on the smartwatch is gonna take longer than pulling out your phone. 

Posted (edited) · Report post  

9 hours ago, lonelyforeigner said:

Really depends on what you need it for. If you only want it to check the time then a traditional watch will do a better job (no need to charge it every night) but if you want a fitness tracker than a smartwatch would be your better choice. All the other features are something you'll use for a few days until the novelty wears off, not really practical since navigating to the right menu on the smartwatch is gonna take longer than pulling out your phone. 

I like the way it looks as an accessory & I do have an iPhone so it wouldn't be bad to own one. I was considering just getting the Series 1 watch since I don't really need any of those extra features that I'll likely never use on the Series 3. Also, having to charge it really isn't a problem for me. I just charge my phone overnight for instance & it's at full battery again. I'll maybe be able to get one for a cheap price at my store next week since we're having a big percentage employee discount on all electronics next week. 

Edited by GAJ123

Posted · Report post  

I have a Fitbit Charge 2 and I like it a lot. It stays charged for several days so maintaining it is not a problem. It doesn't read email or any of that smartphone extensions I don't want. It's a fitness tracker and works really well for what I need. It also has a GPS function so when we go hike or ride we can map out where we went, distances, ave speed, and heart rate, cals burn, etc... As a standalone for HIIT training I would rather use my Polar FT7 w/chest strap. That is more accurate than wrist based devices. The Fitbit also gauges sleep patterns and is handy for step tracking for walks and daily routine. It hooks up to your smartphone and their app works pretty nice. It can also pull data from MyFitnessPal and share info back. Since we track all our meals and watch our calories and nutrient balance it's nice to roll it up together.

Posted · Report post  

21 minutes ago, In2deep4me said:

I have a Fitbit Charge 2 and I like it a lot. It stays charged for several days so maintaining it is not a problem. It doesn't read email or any of that smartphone extensions I don't want. It's a fitness tracker and works really well for what I need. It also has a GPS function so when we go hike or ride we can map out where we went, distances, ave speed, and heart rate, cals burn, etc... As a standalone for HIIT training I would rather use my Polar FT7 w/chest strap. That is more accurate than wrist based devices. The Fitbit also gauges sleep patterns and is handy for step tracking for walks and daily routine. It hooks up to your smartphone and their app works pretty nice. It can also pull data from MyFitnessPal and share info back. Since we track all our meals and watch our calories and nutrient balance it's nice to roll it up together.

Sounds good. Would you recommend a Smartwatch as just an accessory for the most part? I really like the way the apple watch looks & as I've said I can get a nice discount on one where I can save quite a bit. I'd probably use it at times for some of it's features too. 

Posted · Report post  

1 hour ago, GAJ123 said:

Would you recommend a Smartwatch as just an accessory for the most part? I really like the way the apple watch looks & as I've said I can get a nice discount on one where I can save quite a bit. I'd probably use it at times for some of it's features too. 

Pretty much. Yeah, the Apple watch looks nice though personally I prefer the Galaxy Gear since I'm more of a traditional sports watch guy :) The newest Apple watches with wireless charging seem really cool, my Android phone has it and it's SOOOO much more convenient to just drop devices on a charging plate. 

Posted · Report post  

4 minutes ago, lonelyforeigner said:

Pretty much. Yeah, the Apple watch looks nice though personally I prefer the Galaxy Gear since I'm more of a traditional sports watch guy :) The newest Apple watches with wireless charging seem really cool, my Android phone has it and it's SOOOO much more convenient to just drop devices on a charging plate. 

I was looking into the galaxy gear, but isn't that more for Android users mainly over Apple? I honestly don't really care about wireless charging all that much personally. I mean I'm sure it would be nice to have it if available, but it doesn't really matter to me either way.

Posted · Report post  

Just now, GAJ123 said:

I was looking into the galaxy gear, but isn't that more for Android users mainly over Apple?

Yeah, not even sure if it'll work with iPhones, I suspect not all the features would work with a non-Samsung device. Most likely the Apple Watch will be your best if you have an iPhone. 

Posted (edited) · Report post  

On 9/22/2017 at 4:15 PM, lonelyforeigner said:

Yeah, not even sure if it'll work with iPhones, I suspect not all the features would work with a non-Samsung device. Most likely the Apple Watch will be your best if you have an iPhone. 

So my store got the Series 3 42mm Apple Watch on their website now for $359. But will be able to get it for about $240+tax next week if it's available. I don't think they sell it in the store yet though. The bizarre thing is the Series 2 is more expensive on the site currently by $40. I was also looking into a FitBit possibly since some of them look nice & are a bit cheaper, but I just am unsure. I'm also not sure if there's much difference between the Series 2 & Series 3 without cellular. 

Edited by GAJ123

Sign in to follow this