Advertisement
  • Announcements

    • Lindsay

      Donate Now   11/12/2017

      Depression Forums has no real advertising help and no corporate sponsors. We depend on the support from our readers and especially our members. Your Donations would help DF to continue to stay on the internet and is greatly appreciated. Give the gift that keeps on giving. Donate Now  
sarahbeth24

A man tried to grab me

14 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post  

Advertisement

I was on a train heading home from London and I was sitting texting my friend when his man came over to me and tried to grab me and attack me. I was quick and extra fast, I pushed me off of me and his phone went slamming to the ground and he ran away.

i would have called the police but the police never do anything, the last time I was abused on a train the police got cctv footage and failed to find out who the suspect was despite sending it to all police forces in the neighbouring areas.

ive just had enough I am taking up jujitsu or some martial arts kind of stuff 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You might also be interested in:

Posted · Report post  

Sickening... Are you allowed to purchase pepper spray or a taser in the UK? Here in Germany the law is extremely restrictive but screw that, criminals don't care about the law so neither should honest citizens when defending themselves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post  

Take a women's assertiveness and self-defence course instead.  1 class can make you much more safe, plus help you avoid these sorts of situations from occurring in the first place by making you *appear* more intimidating.  

Martial arts is great for fitness and discipline, but it would take years of training before it would ever help you in a physical fight.  Women's self defence will teach you the dirty tricks (and no, kicking his groin isn't one of them - guys expect you to try that).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post  

PM me if you want more information.  For instance one thing you could have done, since your attack was so public, was scream at the top of your lungs.

p.s. since you fought him off, you're obviously doing something right.

p.p.s. when you're looking down and doing something is when you're most vulnerable to attack, but it's quite rare in such a public venue.  At least look around and look everyone in the eye at regular intervals.  This will also help you notice if anyone is staring at you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post  

2 minutes ago, CoolCat7 said:

Martial arts is great for fitness and discipline, but it would take years of training before it would ever help you in a physical fight.  Women's self defence will teach you the dirty tricks (and no, kicking his groin isn't one of them - guys expect you to try that).

Good point! Martial arts often don't fare that well in street fighting since an attacker isn't going to act in a predictable manner like an opponent in class. Most important of all, like you pointed out, is to just looking intimidating. I've had a very beautiful friend and she never had problems like that because she had the "I will stand up for myself"-aura, most attackers will choose someone that looks weak and insecure, they generally won't take any unnecessary risks unless they're drunk or high. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post  

A personal alarm is also legal and often highly effective.  The correct way to use one is to set it off and then throw it aside, so that your attacker's attention is divided between you and the alarm.  

If you are ever threatened or attacked inside a building when you're alone, scream "Fire!" because that cry will not get ignored, whereas cries for help often do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post  

46 minutes ago, lonelyforeigner said:

Sickening... Are you allowed to purchase pepper spray or a taser in the UK? Here in Germany the law is extremely restrictive but screw that, criminals don't care about the law so neither should honest citizens when defending themselves. 

To be honest there's so many website online  on how to make your own Pepper spray, but the only spray we are allowed in England is a red dye that colours your assailants skin so police can indentify them at a later date, meanwhile your attacker will get angry and could worsen the situation, but England is the worst for self defence as the authorities are on the side of criminals.

I don't want to be a victim anymore I will try and take some classes. I am between London and my dads so I can take a few classes in the city, wondered about kickboxing. 

I struggle with people because at least with animals you look in to their eyes and what you see is what you get, with people they can be deceiving. I saw the man 45mins before the attack just sitting on the train table in the distance and I wouldn't have classes him as a threat until he came up to me and tried to grab me.

I would never act that way, I was brought up better than to try and harm others and I would never harm other nor animals.

Thanks I will pm you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post  

Just now, sarahbeth24 said:

To be honest there's so many website online  on how to make your own Pepper spray, but the only spray we are allowed in England is a red dye that colours your assailants skin so police can indentify them at a later date, meanwhile your attacker will get angry and could worsen the situation, but England is the worst for self defence as the authorities are on the side of criminals.

I don't want to be a victim anymore I will try and take some classes. I am between London and my dads so I can take a few classes in the city, wondered about kickboxing. 

I struggle with people because at least with animals you look in to their eyes and what you see is what you get, with people they can be deceiving. I saw the man 45mins before the attack just sitting on the train table in the distance and I wouldn't have classes him as a threat until he came up to me and tried to grab me.

I would never act that way, I was brought up better than to try and harm others and I would never harm other nor animals.

Thanks I will pm you

Gotta love Europe... One of my dad's friends went to prison for shooting (not even chickening) someone who broke into his house. Harm an assailant or don't pay your taxes and they'll throw the book at you but rapists and other criminals often only get probation. 

AFAIK the most effective martial arts are Krav Maga and Sambo, both systems are used by armed forces and aim to end the fight as quickly as possible by inflicting maximum damage. But a self-defense course for women like @CoolCat7 suggested would probably the best short-term solution just to learn how to react in such a situation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post  

8 minutes ago, lonelyforeigner said:

Gotta love Europe... One of my dad's friends went to prison for shooting (not even chickening) someone who broke into his house. Harm an assailant or don't pay your taxes and they'll throw the book at you but rapists and other criminals often only get probation. 

AFAIK the most effective martial arts are Krav Maga and Sambo, both systems are used by armed forces and aim to end the fight as quickly as possible by inflicting maximum damage. But a self-defense course for women like @CoolCat7 suggested would probably the best short-term solution just to learn how to react in such a situation. 

I agree, I've been attacked twice before the first time I was arrested for it as they don't recognise the right to defending  yourself, in the end the judge said that the wrong person was in court, that it should have been the thug who tried to harm  me.

ive been lucky that I've not got seriously hurt but I think the streets are getting more and more unsafe.

back in the 60's my dad was in a band and some skinheads came along and started kicking the bands equipment, a fight broke out and my dad picked up this fully grown man and threw him through a shop window, the police showed up and said to my dad (good on you mate, they have been causing trouble around here and no one would stand up to them) the police then told my dad and the band to get out of there because they will return with friends.

if that had happened now my dad and the band probably would have been thrown in jail.

Europe is bad for self dense, even through the law says you have a right to defend yourself in European law, the British gov just ignore European law 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post  

2 minutes ago, sarahbeth24 said:

I agree, I've been attacked twice before the first time I was arrested for it as they don't recognise the right to defending  yourself, in the end the judge said that the wrong person was in court, that it should have been the thug who tried to harm  me.

ive been lucky that I've not got seriously hurt but I think the streets are getting more and more unsafe.

back in the 60's my dad was in a band and some skinheads came along and started kicking the bands equipment, a fight broke out and my dad picked up this fully grown man and threw him through a shop window, the police showed up and said to my dad (good on you mate, they have been causing trouble around here and no one would stand up to them) the police then told my dad and the band to get out of there because they will return with friends.

if that had happened now my dad and the band probably would have been thrown in jail.

Europe is bad for self dense, even through the law says you have a right to defend yourself in European law, the British gov just ignore European law 

You must never, ever hesitate to defend yourself physically once he puts his hands on you.  What the police/and or courts do later is less important than your survival.  But carrying things like pepper spray or a knife isn't a good idea because they are illegal, and can be turned against you.  I was taught that you only need your body and some good self-defence moves to protect yourself in most situations.  Men don't expect women to be able to fight back hard and effectively, because most women can't.  Things like pushing him away are ineffective, and slapping him across the face will only make him angry.  I will PM you some general rules.

Often some kind of verbal exchange takes place before an attack, so that's a good chance for prevention.  Look him right in the eye, and use "I" statements, like "I don't like how close you're standing to me."  Do not look away, but don't be aggressive either.

In my experience martial arts are useless for self defence.  I knew a woman who had a 2nd degree black belt in karate kickboxing.  She went up against a street fighter who took her down in 20 seconds.  He was a trained street fighter, though, but he had way less years of training than her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post  

My wife used to carry a loud whistle when walking alone at night, and would blow it briefly if she saw anybody suspicious looking. 

 

A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post  

At the end of the day I think most thugs in the UK where ever taught to fight. I had a few classes before I injured myself falling on my back, but I want to learn more.

i also want to get fitter so I can run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post  

Thank you for your replies and private messages, I have decided to try and take Krav Maga classes as there are some near me 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted · Report post  

Hi Sarah -- I'm really sorry to hear that you were assaulted.

I train in Aikido and it's a defensive martial art. Like Cat has said, there is a big women's self defence aspect to aikido. As it's defensive, there is no kicking and punching in it.

It bases it's self in movement, nerve holds and throws. Using the attackers momentum against them. I will PM you more details and a few links. I'm going for my black belt (finally!) as I took a few years off to go to uni.

Tungsten.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now