Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
rgk29381

Has anyone been off abilify and been back to normal?

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, CoolCat7 said:

I've taken ability on and off.  I find it takes a few weeks to feel normal after withdrawing from any med, gradually.  It takes a lot more time if you do it cold turkey.

Are you able to read after a few weeks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It helps a friend of mine, personally it made me feel worse, but what do you mean by back to normal? i only took it for a few months it made me feel worse, aggressive, and suicidal.. so i had to stop ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ladysmurf said:

It helps a friend of mine, personally it made me feel worse, but what do you mean by back to normal? i only took it for a few months it made me feel worse, aggressive, and suicidal.. so i had to stop ..

You are able to concentrate, you don't have akathisia or always feel like you need to do something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Aripiprazole, sold under the brand name Abilify among others, is an atypical antipsychotic." Same rules apply. It's not meant to be taken forever. 80 days or so are treatment course. Very ****** useful when you have episodes or urges, but atypical antipsychothics don't have permanent affect on brain - they are temporary. 24-36 hours or so. It's basically a cold medicine - you have a cold, you take it. But if you have cold every day - you can't really "be off". Take a break? Sure. Every other day? Sure. I personally take Risperidone but with the same rules - keep it like asthma medicine. You don't need it to breathe - but you have it if you have troubles with that.

Edited by Tungsten Aromatics
Link in violation of ToS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nyetimber said:

"Aripiprazole, sold under the brand name Abilify among others, is an atypical antipsychotic." Same rules apply. It's not meant to be taken forever. 80 days or so are treatment course. Very ****** useful when you have episodes or urges, but atypical antipsychothics don't have permanent affect on brain - they are temporary. 24-36 hours or so. It's basically a cold medicine - you have a cold, you take it. But if you have cold every day - you can't really "be off". Take a break? Sure. Every other day? Sure. I personally take Risperidone but with the same rules - keep it like asthma medicine. You don't need it to breathe - but you have it if you have troubles with that.

I didn't take it for 7 days and I can tell you that I was still feeling the same as on abilify if not worst

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feeling of taking antipsychothics is not really mental, it's more emotional. I feel like I have no interest in anything, both on typical/atypical antipsychotics. "Feeling like a zombie", many people say. And again, I must say, they don't have permanent effect on brain. If you are feeling better without them - that's exactly the point. If you don't feel many changes with/without, your brain is not permanently damaged. I've seen people with illness- they can barely speak their thoughts.. But for temporary chemical imbalance atypical antipsychotics are doing their job. Primarily, taking away feeling of aggression towards yourself/others. And if you say you were feeling the same, really? You didn't feel angry about many things. Medicine is mostly invented to prevent anger. About you/others. I know how to be angry but not to be destructive about it, can you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rgk29381 said:

You are able to concentrate, you don't have akathisia or always feel like you need to do something.

it was years ago I took. but yes the anger and suicide went away....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was on Abilify for about a year, and I felt really bad on it, well I didn't really feel I guess... It caused really bad shakes and weight gain. REALLY bad weight gain. In the first few months I was on Abilify I gained about 50 pounds. I'm not sure if anyone else had this happen to them, but it happened to me. I couldn't lose weight or even maintain weight while on it. I kept gaining until my last hospitalization and they took me off of it. I'm slowly starting to lose weight again and I guess that's me getting back to normal. As for the emotions, I feel a little more "real" I guess you could say but I'm not sure if that was getting off the Abilify alone or the other combination of meds I was taking. Either way, I'm really glad to be off of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i was on it for two and a half years and it did nothing good for me. I was on 12 mg a day I think. I had  blurred vision. 

Note . There is a newer version called "Rexulti"  Some say it's better. I dunno.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, duck said:

i was on it for two and a half years and it did nothing good for me. I was on 12 mg a day I think. I had  blurred vision. 

Note . There is a newer version called "Rexulti"  Some say it's better. I dunno.

How do you feel now after stopping?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No change.  Maybe they were sugar pills. You never know since no one is checking.

Edited by duck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I felt good on them (add on to zoloft then wellbutrin, for depression). Spiked my blood sugar and cholestorol. Took a while to get off, I would go into a depression about a week after stopping. Tapered way down to 1/2 every other day. Been off them for maybe a month.

 

They have a long half life, so it takes a while to get out of your system. Also supposed to just cold turkey since the withdrawl out of your system is so prolonged. Supposed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2017 at 0:50 PM, Nyetimber said:

Feeling of taking antipsychothics is not really mental, it's more emotional. I feel like I have no interest in anything, both on typical/atypical antipsychotics. "Feeling like a zombie", many people say. And again, I must say, they don't have permanent effect on brain. If you are feeling better without them - that's exactly the point. If you don't feel many changes with/without, your brain is not permanently damaged. I've seen people with illness- they can barely speak their thoughts.. But for temporary chemical imbalance atypical antipsychotics are doing their job. Primarily, taking away feeling of aggression towards yourself/others. And if you say you were feeling the same, really? You didn't feel angry about many things. Medicine is mostly invented to prevent anger. About you/others. I know how to be angry but not to be destructive about it, can you?

There is so much wrong with this I wouldn't know where to begin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2017 at 0:50 PM, Nyetimber said:

Feeling of taking antipsychothics is not really mental, it's more emotional. I feel like I have no interest in anything, both on typical/atypical antipsychotics. "Feeling like a zombie", many people say. And again, I must say, they don't have permanent effect on brain. If you are feeling better without them - that's exactly the point. If you don't feel many changes with/without, your brain is not permanently damaged. I've seen people with illness- they can barely speak their thoughts.. But for temporary chemical imbalance atypical antipsychotics are doing their job. Primarily, taking away feeling of aggression towards yourself/others. And if you say you were feeling the same, really? You didn't feel angry about many things. Medicine is mostly invented to prevent anger. About you/others. I know how to be angry but not to be destructive about it, can you?

 

On 10/23/2017 at 11:11 PM, rhyl said:

There is so much wrong with this I wouldn't know where to begin.

+1 lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those who couldn't tolerate Abilify, I would highly recommend Rexulti. Been on it 5 days now and it feels nothing like Abilify. Much more calming yet still stimulating at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been on Abilify (aripiprazole) for about a year.  I don't know if these are side effects, but I've gained 20 pounds in the past year and my cholesterol is high even though I'm on an anti-cholesterol medication.  When I was on the brand name, I felt good.  The generic does nothing for me.  I may stop it altogether or take it every other day, like someone here suggested.  I also take Trintellix and my therapist is adding Wellbutrin to the mix.

Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick update:

I have been off abilify for 5 weeks now and I see no changes in my focus / concentration. I still cannot read properly. From what I read permanent brain damage is not uncommon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Abilify has an incredibly long half life. It takes a month just to get it completely out of your system. So you ve technically only been off abilify for a week. I think in another month youll be back to your pre abilify self. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, I know this is a while back you asked, but I remember being on Abilify. I'm currently being treated for and diagnosed as ADD and Depression/Generalized Anxiety but at that point in my life I had the diagnosis of Bipolar type 2. Now, when I went off Abilify, I had been on it for about 2 years maybe less, and I had gained about 30lbs. I also was pretty happy, but I slowly weaned off because I was gaining weight and just felt tired (sidenote: I pretty much always feel tired hence my name on here). I was also on Adderall XR, so to wean off both at once was difficult, but I slowly did, and then I fell pregnant and quit weaning because they make you stop cold turkey (meds aren't currently studied enough to say it's safe for pregnant women). I could not have an abortion because I would have felt too guilty. It took not very long to feel okay again but at first I felt SO numb and so depressed I just had no motivation but it was also lifestyle too... I had no job and when I finally got one, my boyfriend didn't want me to keep our baby and stopped talking to me (*****)...needless to say, I was so so sad. I would cry a lot, but that could have been hormones. It's tough to say!! Anyways, after I had the baby, I didn't get better I actually got worse (hormones maybe and underlying anxiety and depression reared their ugly heads again). I finally sought help around 4 months Post Partum (it isn't Post Partum depression since I've always struggled since around age 13 with depression and endless weepy crying fits and anger and anxiety as far back as I remember with my first anxiety attack hitting in third or fourth grade I believe --I didn't know it was an anxiety attack I just couldn't go to school and was anxious fearful and nervous, and the sounds were so loud inside the school and I remember having to repeat a mantra to myself in order to stay in school when I finally went back). Annnnnyways, wow, so yeah I actually have felt back to normal without the abilify but that's probably because I'm on zoloft and adderall XR and Wellbutrin and also maybe because of lifestyle changes too! Exercise and sleep. Exercise and sleep! Also living well and eating well and making sure to dream big and follow your passions as much as you can!!! Really really important that we never give up on our dreams :) even after a kid, I learned to play my guitar and I sing and now write my own songs!! So really the best thing you can do for yourself in my opinion: Dream and do it!---hang in there, you can go so much further than you think you can. There is light at the end of the tunnel, try everything you can. You are so worth it, don't stop fighting and trying different meds until you get a good combination. It might feel like you need the abilify but if there's a way to get around it (since there's probably good reason for going off it) try that & see how you feel (another medication could work wonderfully with your brain chemistry) xox lots of love and support towards you and all who commented too! I just found this forum site so I'm new here and just wanted to pass along some encouragement because I can always use that I know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2017 at 11:00 PM, lilmsdarkness13 said:

I was on Abilify for about a year, and I felt really bad on it, well I didn't really feel I guess... It caused really bad shakes and weight gain. REALLY bad weight gain. In the first few months I was on Abilify I gained about 50 pounds. I'm not sure if anyone else had this happen to them, but it happened to me. I couldn't lose weight or even maintain weight while on it. I kept gaining until my last hospitalization and they took me off of it. I'm slowly starting to lose weight again and I guess that's me getting back to normal. As for the emotions, I feel a little more "real" I guess you could say but I'm not sure if that was getting off the Abilify alone or the other combination of meds I was taking. Either way, I'm really glad to be off of it.

I had that happen too. I was on 50mg a day and gained about 30 lbs. then I became pregnant and gained 60 more. I was 200 lbs at delivery so, and I am only 5'3" I believe abilify stayed in my system a looooong long time. But also, when pregnant and depressed off meds you tend to eat so it's hard to say. But yes abilify made me gain a ton of weight you're no alone in that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Abilify goes up to 50mg? Last year at a group I heard a lady say she was very unhappy with this medication it made her worse. I wish I knew more to tell you ...Good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...