Honestly! Have you ever turned to alcohol?

SonOfTom

Just a question for you guys an honest question. Have any of you ever turned to alcohol at a time of severe depression. I have done it again recently have been drinking alcohol a lot of the last two weeks.  Strangely enough I have sort of improved a little over the last few weeks no thanks to the alcohol though mostly due to changing other aspects of my lifestyle such as washing more and buying new clothes, but this depression is something you just cant kick no matter what you do.

I do not ask this question to encourage alcohol abuse, I must make that clear.

What made you resort to alcohol? Would anyone like to share their own personal story?

I have consumed a lot of alcohol in my life, but always found it didn't affect my depression one way or another. Now, I enjoy alcohol but can't understand how it would help depression in spite of what all those country songs say. I couldn't possibly care less about bars and nightclubs. Nothing but a massive waste of time and money.

I smoke cigarettes when I am really depressed. It doesn't relieve the problem so much as provide a distraction. Also, it provides the same sort of psychological stress relief that self injury does for some folks. I guess because each cigarette shortens your lifespan a little bit.

Yes and no.

In large amounts at once (drinking heavy liquor to get plastered), alcohol almost always exacerbates my depression. If I'm in a bad spot, be it depressed or just upset, alcohol will make it worse for me....

But, I've often found, especially in stressful times, a cheap gas station tall boy, occasionally paired with a cheap cigar, helps take the edge off and improve my focus, mood, and emotional capacity to deal with frustrating circumstances. But that's only when in small doses.

I won't encourage alcohol and tobacco use, as both are objectively detrimental to physical health, just speaking from my own experience.

Yes several times, it will definitely make you feel better temporarily, but when the next day comes you'll be in a much worse state. A hang over plus depression is pure hell. I tend to self medicate, but it only makes things worse. There seems to be no real escape from the suffering which plagues many of us,

I spent the last 2 1/2 years drinking basically every day and all day. At first it was the miracle cure. My anxiety was cured, I was more social, I was happier, but it was all just covering more and more problems. I'm still struggling with it. I've been to rehab more times than I care to mention, damaged trust in my girlfriend that I should have gotten engaged to years ago(thankfully she's still my biggest support), I hurt family and just got out of a mental hospital. That was a horrifying experience. My roommate would go psycho on people at random and try to hit them with garbage cans or whatever was nearby...so that was fun. Long story short I give alcohol a .01 out of 5 stars for treating depression. 😬

There was a 8 year time span when I drank a lot.  Had good memories and bad ones as well.  Alcohol always broke me out of my shell and made me feel more alive.  Of course the health effects weren't worth it anymore so essentially I quit.  Occasionally I miss those times.  I don't want to fall back into that trap so I try to steer clear of bars and clubs.  I'm a much healthier person these days because of it.

I am 26, and have never tried alcohol. Not even so much as a sip, despite that I've been struggling with depression since I was at least 17, and have been legally able to purchase alcohol for a handful of years now. I don't know, something seems illogical about resorting to alcohol to fix depression.  

On 2 September 2017 at 0:33 PM, SonOfTom said:
Advertisement

Just a question for you guys an honest question. Have any of you ever turned to alcohol at a time of severe depression. I have done it again recently have been drinking alcohol a lot of the last two weeks.  Strangely enough I have sort of improved a little over the last few weeks no thanks to the alcohol though mostly due to changing other aspects of my lifestyle such as washing more and buying new clothes, but this depression is something you just cant kick no matter what you do.

I do not ask this question to encourage alcohol abuse, I must make that clear.

What made you resort to alcohol? Would anyone like to share their own personal story?

Hi SonOfTom,

I did indeed.

. I "medicated" on alcohol for many years. It might work (sort of) in the short term but in the long term it can result in trading two problems for one i.e. alcoholism and depression.

I gave it up about 20 years ago. I'd say if I had stayed at it I could very well be an alcoholic now. 

It is very common for people to present in hospital with both problems.

Alcohol might relieve the fire in your head in the short term but I think its not worth the risk. I think you would be wiser to seek medical advice and if advised take suitable medication.

Good Luck

I've used alcohol many times in my life to deal with depression.  It has not worked for me when I drank to excess. It has, however, done wonders for me when used moderately.

I used to drink in an out of control fashion maybe 20 years ago. For about 10 years I would drink 4-5 times per week and would drink to the point of blackout and unconsciousness almost every time. I didn't know then but I know now that I drank because I could not interact with other people when sober (social phobia) and because I absolutely hated myself (which I still do). That type of drinking did not help me at all and it even caused many other problems, as you can imagine, that caused me considerable grief. I don't really know how but I stopped drinking like that about 20 years ago. I pretty much woke up one day and told myself that I don't want to do that anymore. And I didn't. I still drank a alcohol or two here and there but I never drank to excess again.

Since then my depression has gotten worse and worse. And I've found no real relief.  But I still have a alcohol or two probably two or three times per week. Those drinks help me tremendously because they take the edge off of my days. Whenever I've had or am having a terrible day I can sit down, have a alcohol, and then feel a heck of a lot better 30 mins later. I would be one rough, angry, disgruntled, miserable, human if I cut out all drinking.

Now, maybe I should learn to live life without having to involve a bottle. But it doesn't cause me any problems, I really enjoy the beverage, and it certainly helps me in the end.  So why not?

Yes I have drank more alcohol in my life than all the people I know put together.  I don't even want to know how much I've drank in my life.  The empty containers would probably fill the entire house and the 2 and a half acre yard too.  It would look like I was living at the dump.

I have been "treating" depression with alcohol before doctor gave me opioids for severe injury and I would feel good when I get the booze buzz but I'd feel like crap later or the next day usually. Right now I am not allowed to drink due to medication I take but maybe that was one thing that helped at times. Overall it is better to treat depression without alcohol because it is a depressant and can lead to severe alcoholism. But some people surely turn to alcohol/drugs because of their depression.

Edited by Zagor