Just wondering if anyone has experienced significantly increased anxiety while dieting. My anxiety has been more or less under control the past year but a couple of weeks ago I started dieting and walking 5+ miles a day and noticed that my anxiety symptoms have increased significantly the past week. Palpitations, radiating chest and back pains, and the fun anxiety induced headaches. Anyone else experience this? I really need to lose weight, at 5'7 and 200 lbs I got the "pregnant man" look which is just disgusting but I'm getting kinda frustrated with the increase in anxiety symptoms. Maybe it's just a coincidence, dunno. 

Hi LF, l found walking helped mine. Well done for being proactive. It might seem like anxiety, but could it be the effects from walking and possible low blood sugar? It can feel like anxiety, high blood pressure etc You might also want to check posture whilst you are walking, good foot wear can make a difference. Also looking at your breathing, keep taking slow deep breaths. It took me a few weeks to adjust. I'm doing countless stair climbing at work now, and feel great, just takes a little while.

Good luck and happy birthday when ever that is, guessing it must be soon.

Hi LonelyForeigner,

Sorry this is happening you!  I also experience an increase in anxiety [plus panic attacks] when dieting.  Feels like depression increases too.  I believe, but could be completely wrong about this, but I believe there is a recent scientific study which sought to correlate weight and longevity and exercise and longevity.  And if I am not mistaken, lack of exercise was found to be linked more often to decreased longevity than being over-weight.  I should note that I think the study is controversial and under attack by people in the medical field.  Regardless of the study, I think it is good to exercise as long as your physician okays it.  Note well, that I could be wrong about what I have written above!!!  Always rooting for you LonelyForeigner!

@ LonelyForeigner "like"

@Ba3inga "like

@ LifeDream777 "like"

@ CoolCat7 "like"

3 hours ago, Ba3inga said:

Well done for being proactive. It might seem like anxiety, but could it be the effects from walking and possible low blood sugar? It can feel like anxiety, high blood pressure etc You might also want to check posture whilst you are walking, good foot wear can make a difference. Also looking at your breathing, keep taking slow deep breaths. It took me a few weeks to adjust. I'm doing countless stair climbing at work now, and feel great, just takes a little while.

Thanks :) Definitely needed to start doing something about my weight, just climbing a flight of stairs would result in being out of breath plus my doctor said I was at high risk for diabetes and a ton of other problems since it's almost all visceral fat. 

Hmm, low blood sugar could be a culprit since I significantly cut my calorie intake. Haven't even thought of that. Will definitely try the magnesium supplements too as suggested by @LifeDream777

2 hours ago, CoolCat7 said:

Sadly the women in my family put their weight on in the belly area.  It's not as disgusting as you think - I think a bit of a paunch on a man can be attractive.  Frankly when I see a musclebound hunk all I can think is that he's probably not that bright.

A small paunch is one thing but when a guy looks pregnant that's a bit much :)) I have a narrow frame and since it's visceral fat it results in a hard and large belly which is quite noticeable and makes shirts fit poorly. My brother is about the same weight but he's got a broad frame and it's subcutaneous fat that's well distributed fat so it doesn't look as goofy. Yeah some of those hunks do nothing but work out for hours on end, takes a lot of work, don't think I'd want to put the time in for that even though I've always wanted a six-pack. 

2 hours ago, Epictetus said:

Feels like depression increases too.  I believe, but could be completely wrong about this, but I believe there is a recent scientific study which sought to correlate weight and longevity and exercise and longevity.  And if I am not mistaken, lack of exercise was found to be linked more often to decreased longevity than being over-weight.  I should note that I think the study is controversial and under attack by people in the medical field.  

Hmm, depression increased a bit lately but I think that's due to financial stress and uncertainty what to do with my life. I heard something similar about exercise being very beneficial even if being a bit overweight. It should definitely help my cardiovascular system which has been terrible shape since I avoided pretty much any sort of exercise after getting a panic disorder like 5 or 6 years ago. At first I was super worried about going on long walks but it doesn't seem to affect my tachycardia negatively, I'll be at 140 bps right after a brisk walk and then it comes down to it's usual 100 - 120 within an hour. Hoping that it'll improve it over time so I can try to go running, right now it would probably put too much stress on the system. 

PS: I SERIOUSLY miss the "like" button!!!

10 hours ago, Teddy545 said:

!00 bps, are you sure you don't mean bpm? Is that just from anxiety?  My resting bpm is 80 and it goes up to 100 when I'm panicking. 

Yes, bpm of course... Not sure if it's just from anxiety, I suspect it's a mix of anxiety and being in poor shape which can worsen tachycardia. I'm hoping that my HR will start coming down if I manage to stick with an active instead of sedentary lifestyle. From what I read this can take months though so it's a bit early to tell.

@CoolCat7: YAY! I can't wait!!! :) 

I would also go with low blood sugar. Plus, heavy comfort foods can have a calming effect whether it's from food coma or a dopamine fix, what have you. If you've gotten use to that on a regular basis, the lack of it can come across as anxiety. Some people's body types really do well with a higher fat/low carb diet vs. a general low-calorie diet. You might want to read up on what diet (or life style change, etc) would work best for your specific body type.

Diets that are very low in healthy fats are not good in my opinion. The brain needs a certain amount to function at it's best. High fat is probably not good either! I think it's better to avoid extremes.

A balanced diet and just cut down a bit overall. Add more vegetables. Oily fish is meant to be good for the brain. Sugar can upset moods.

Hope all goes well. 

Edited by Lumi