Advertisement
  • Announcements

• Lindsay

A Reminder that we are a PG13 Site   12/09/2016

Please keep in mind that NO content can be posted that is not PG13!  No sexual content and definitely not images which is not permitted in a post! We will delete it.  Not even memes or humorous images should be posted, if you want these forums to continue. NO IMAGES! If you want to post an image, post the URL pointing it to your gallery.  Again, Depressionforums.org is PG13!! Thank you~ ~Forum Admin  
Sign in to follow this  
Myth_

My story. My hell.

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post  

Advertisement

Hello,

I'm new here but I've been struggling with depression for about 2-3 years continuously. It began when I started using a topical called Retin-A and another AHA cream on my face. Looking back, there was nothing wrong with my face - But I had heard so many good things that I thought, if it could make it "better", why not? After a few days, I woke up one morning and realized I had made a terrible mistake. My face was irritated, I had huge pores, lines, dents, broken capillaries and fat atrophy - I looked and felt like a different person. I still do.

This is embarrassing and I was going to leave it out but I'm venting: Around the same time I was using Apple Cider Vinegar on a skin tag on my chicken and burnt it pretty severely, I had a large open wound and kept it covered for a couple of weeks but it left a pretty discolored scar with a pock mark in the center.

Since then, I have searched frantically for an answer, but have come up with none. Now, not only do I have all of these skin problems, I have another - A thick layer of dead skin built up between my eyebrows, my cheek, forehead and nose. I'm afraid to do anything to my face other than apply moisturizer which hasn't helped. 

I've tried to talk to people about it but they don't seem to understand. I feel like I just fell apart so abruptly and there's nothing I can do about any of it - I don't like myself anymore, I don't like the way I look, I don't like the way I feel.

I feel so defeated.

Edited by Myth_

You might also be interested in:

Posted · Report post  

I don't know what the other AHA cream is but you're not supposed to use other creams with the Retin A.  I used to use Retin A, you're only supposed to used a tiny amount.  It will make your skin sensitive for a few months and then get better.  It also makes the skin peal a lot.  You have to put on lots of sunscreen when using it also.  I got a 3rd degree sun burn from using my friends expired sunblock, most of my face turned into a water blister for awhile. 

It's probably best to go to a Dr. to have your skin treated. 

Posted · Report post  

Hi Myth.  As someone who struggles mightily with rosacea and other skin problems, my heart goes out to you. I too have dents, scars, marks and enlarged pores, as well as redness.  It's hard to believe that Retin-A or AHA creams could cause such damage, though.  Especially fat atrophy.  Have you talked to a dermatologist?  The layer of dead skin sounds unusual, too. 

In this society where we are judged daily on how we look, it can be heartbreaking and soul destroying to have it made clear you don't measure up.  But how you look is not YOU. 

Posted (edited) · Report post  

Hi Myth,

I am sorry this happened to you.  Something very similar happened to a dear friend of mine.  It happened to her when she was a teenager and living in another country.  Have you consulted a dermatologist.    I wish I knew what to say to help you feel better.  Are you seeing a therapist or doctor about the depression?  Please do not lose hope.  I think they are always working on breakthrough treatments in dermatology.  And there are treatments for depression.  Sorry if I have been unable to be helpful to you.  I think you are a wonderful person and that you deserve a happy life!

Edited by Epictetus

Posted · Report post  

Hey guys, thank you for the replies. I actually came here to delete my post because I felt stupid for writing all of this but I like this place already. :hugs:

Teddy: You are correct, I should of been more careful and believe me a day hasn't gone by since that I haven't woken up and gone to sleep thinking about it. I was trying to be conservative with the Retin-A at the time but alternating with something else was obviously a terrible idea. 

CoolCat: I'm sorry you have skin problems as well, it really is debilitating. I'm not seeing anyone about the depression, I just try to get through it. This site seems helpful though. The fat atrophy - Crazy, I know, but it's honestly like part of the fat in my cheek melted. My pores look that way too, at least that is the best way I can describe it - Like they droop down. I'm 28! The skin build up: I just thought about this earlier, but my eyes have been randomly stinging whenever they water (ocular roscacea maybe? I have no idea, but they sting horribly several times a day, this has been ongoing for a couple of months now) and whenever this happens I take a shower - So I think overcleansing might of had something to do with that. Right now, I'm slathering moisturizer on my face in an attempt to soften it up so it will fall off, I'm too afraid of exfolients. Hopefully it will work because the thick layer of dead skin is practically glued to my face, when I get out of the shower I see a thick layer of dead white skin, sorry I know isn't a very nice image. 

Epic: Your response was helpful, and thank you for the kind words. I have called around but I do not live in a very populated area and everywhere I inquired about mentioned lasers, I'm apprehensive about perusing anything because I'm worried it will just exacerbate my problems. 

Posted · Report post  

I don't think my dead skin (peeling) was this bad.  I would soak my face in the shower and then gently rub the dead skin off with my finger tips.  You have to be really careful because if you rub too much it will end up hurting really bad. Put moisturizer and sun block on after because the skin under is very sensitive.