Jump to content

My mom's addiction, and religion


Recommended Posts

I grew up in a very religious house hold. We went to church everyday, and my parents even put me in a bunch of christian, and catholic private schools. During that time, me and my mom were very close. So close that we would play video games together. She was like my best friend. As i got older I started going to public school for high school, and I became agnostic. Along the way my mom retired from her job, and became a stay at home mom. Due to my mom retiring, we suffered from a lot of phases in our life because my dad was the only one working. She still got a monthly check, but it was still a big step down. As my mom got older, she became even more religious, and reads the Bible everyday, along with watching these religion videos on youtube. (This is where the addiction part kicks in.) With my mom always watching these videos, she stays on her computer, or phone all day. Sometimes she doesn't even acknowledge that I'm in the same room as her. I'll be talking, and she missed everything I said. The only time she talks to me is if she wants to talk about her religion, and with me being agnostic, I don't believe in any of the stuff she's telling me. It's gotten so bad that she doesn't pay her bills anymore. For an example she got her car repossessed, and she didn't even care. All she did was stare at her stupid phone and videos without noticing it. What can I do to get my old mom back. I miss being able to talk to her everyday without religion being involved. I also miss her being energetic, and actually taking care of herself rather than staying on the phone all day. I'm going to college soon so I'm extremely worried. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wish I knew what to say :( reading your post, it's like I was reading something that I could have written. My mother got deeply involved in religion, which led to her to join an online cult. What kind of religious videos does she watch? Is it the regular televangelist stuff you'd see on tv or the more hardcore kind of fringe stuff?

Religion can be a trap and a n addiction just like gambling or substance abuse. Ultimately she has to want to get help for herself, or the pleas of you and your family may just be falling on deaf ears. My mother finally cut herself off from us entirely and moved away. 

I'm not saying that will happen to you, just that I empathize and know how frustrating it can be. Sorry, I'm clearly still bitter. I wish you the best and hope she comes around. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Jman232 said:

I wish I knew what to say :( reading your post, it's like I was reading something that I could have written. My mother got deeply involved in religion, which led to her to join an online cult. What kind of religious videos does she watch? Is it the regular televangelist stuff you'd see on tv or the more hardcore kind of fringe stuff?

Religion can be a trap and a n addiction just like gambling or substance abuse. Ultimately she has to want to get help for herself, or the pleas of you and your family may just be falling on deaf ears. My mother finally cut herself off from us entirely and moved away. 

I'm not saying that will happen to you, just that I empathize and know how frustrating it can be. Sorry, I'm clearly still bitter. I wish you the best and hope she comes around. 

She's into a group called the IUIC. I'm African American, so she's big on the topic of black lives matter, and stuff like that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, boringchris said:

She's into a group called the IUIC. I'm African American, so she's big on the topic of black lives matter, and stuff like that. 

Gotcha. I very briefly scanned over the IUIC's website so I have a vague idea. So is your mother big on civil rights as well? That sounds like a good cause to get behind, but it sounds like she isn't seeing the forest for the trees. Feel free to pm me, I'd be happy to talk with you more on this. I've been through a very similar situation and I sympathize.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/17/2017 at 9:58 PM, Jman232 said:

Gotcha. I very briefly scanned over the IUIC's website so I have a vague idea. So is your mother big on civil rights as well? That sounds like a good cause to get behind, but it sounds like she isn't seeing the forest for the trees. Feel free to pm me, I'd be happy to talk with you more on this. I've been through a very similar situation and I sympathize.

 

Yeah she is. Plus when growing up I went to an all black church. Thanks you, really appreciate your reply, and I will. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...