Time off of work for depression

shaunjc780

Okay so it's a long story but try and keep it short. I'm 22 and for the last year and a half I have suffered with depression pretty badly. It all started when my mum died unexpectedly on the operating table in march 2016 and then in may 2016 my older brother was hit by a drunk driver and died. I've had in total about four month off with depression since march 2016 but still suffer really bad. Should I take the time off to get to the doctors? 

Sorry about your loss. It would be a good idea to see a therapist, you need some psychological help and health is more important than job so it is natural to take time off due to illness especially a serious one as depression is.

I'm deeply sorry for your loss. I think you should definitely take as much time off as you need, if your financial situation allows it. However, sometimes when we're out of work for a long time, our lives lose a sense of structure. Are you keeping yourself busy? Do you have hobbies? Personally, I really need that structure, so I have a morning routine that includes yoga and meditation.

I'd strongly recommend you to try talking to a psychotherapist. I was about your age when I first started (about three years ago) and it has helped me overcome clinical depression.