Advertisement
  • Announcements

• Lindsay

A Reminder that we are a PG13 Site   12/09/2016

Please keep in mind that NO content can be posted that is not PG13!  No sexual content and definitely not images which is not permitted in a post! We will delete it.  Not even memes or humorous images should be posted, if you want these forums to continue. NO IMAGES! If you want to post an image, post the URL pointing it to your gallery.  Again, Depressionforums.org is PG13!! Thank you~ ~Forum Admin  
Jonobell

ECT?

9 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post  

Advertisement

I just joined the Forums, and am surprised that I can't find any threads or discussions concerning ECT (electroconvulsive therapy).  I've recently begun undergoing ECT again, after having success several years ago, and I was hoping to share experiences, hear about others' ECT experiences, and just have a mutually-beneficial discussion with others who are dealing with treatment resistant depression, like me.  If anyone would like to weigh in, I would appreciate it.

Jonathan

You might also be interested in:

Posted · Report post  

I tried it back in 2012 but didn't make it through a whole course of treatment so sadly I didn't see any benefit. The temporary memory loss really scared me at the time since my doctors didn't adequately prepare me and I didn't really know what to expect. It was just kinda sprung on me when I was in a mental hospital and they didn't know what else to try so they kinda pushed me into it without really taking the time to explain everything. Good news is I didn't suffer any long-term effects and other than feeling confused for a couple of days there weren't really any side-effects. It's definitely nothing like in the movies. 

Posted · Report post  

• Thank you for responding, and I am sorry to hear that you didn't have success.  You mentioned that the doctors didn't prepare you for the side effects.  I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be a lot of discussion, in that regard, as well.  I had kind of assumed that the doctors don't want to plant negative ideas in patients' minds, and discourage them from pursuing a treatment that could be life-saving.  But a candid discussion/heads-up about what to expect would be helpful.  I don't remember much from the last time I did ECT, probably due to the short-term memory loss.  This time, I am not taking an antidepressant ( been on the psychotropic rollercoaster for too long, with too many prolonged negative experiences...) and I'm wondering what will happen.  5th treatment today, and I can't really tell any benefit yet... 6 to 12 seems to be the number wherein most people are finding benefit, according to the internet...

Posted · Report post  

1 hour ago, Jonobell said:
  • Thank you for responding, and I am sorry to hear that you didn't have success.  You mentioned that the doctors didn't prepare you for the side effects.  I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be a lot of discussion, in that regard, as well.  I had kind of assumed that the doctors don't want to plant negative ideas in patients' minds, and discourage them from pursuing a treatment that could be life-saving.  But a candid discussion/heads-up about what to expect would be helpful.  I don't remember much from the last time I did ECT, probably due to the short-term memory loss.  This time, I am not taking an antidepressant ( been on the psychotropic rollercoaster for too long, with too many prolonged negative experiences...) and I'm wondering what will happen.  5th treatment today, and I can't really tell any benefit yet... 6 to 12 seems to be the number wherein most people are finding benefit, according to the internet...

Hi Jonobell,

I have tried ect three different tines over the past 8 years...The first two times it worked great...I was healed from my depression just after about 7 or 8 treatments....yes there was some memory loss and confusion but worth it...this past year though i went in again and felt better again after about 10 treatments, started to wean off of them and still felt good for about a month, that was last October...then all of a sudden i slipped back into the depression full blown.....we started up ect treatments again, 3 a week and for some reason it didnt work this time. Over the course of about 7 months I had in total of about 33 treatments and still wasnt getting better. The memory loss and confusion was really bad and so i decided to stop the ect. That was in February....I then tried TMS and unfortunately no luck with that either. Ive been on many different types of antidepressants and nothing. I am so discouraged at this point as it has been over a year now with this episode of depression. im looking into trying ketamine injections but am a little weary of it because of the phsychodellic trip of it plus its about 3-400 dollars an injection. Anyway, I hope your treatments work for you....God Bless us all

Posted · Report post  

Hey man, thank you for responding, and I am SOOOOOO sorry to hear of what you're going through right now.  I hope that an opportunity to try something new presents itself to you.  I've heard little bits of things about ketamine, but I don't really know anything about it being used for depression.  I know I'd personally be leery of a psychedelic trip, but some desperate times call for desperate measures... My psychiatrist actually told me that at the office where she used to practice they prescribed low dose suboxone for depression sometimes, and thought I should consider looking into it.  That was terrifying to me bc I'm a recovering addict/alcoholic and I used to buy suboxone when I was still using.  I've been clean for over 5 years, but its something that never goes away, even if it settles into the background.  I couldn't risk anything that could wake up the old addiction.  Anyway, I truly hope you can find some relief... some hope.

Posted · Report post  

On 8/15/2017 at 7:50 AM, Jonobell said:

Hey man, thank you for responding, and I am SOOOOOO sorry to hear of what you're going through right now.  I hope that an opportunity to try something new presents itself to you.  I've heard little bits of things about ketamine, but I don't really know anything about it being used for depression.  I know I'd personally be leery of a psychedelic trip, but some desperate times call for desperate measures... My psychiatrist actually told me that at the office where she used to practice they prescribed low dose suboxone for depression sometimes, and thought I should consider looking into it.  That was terrifying to me bc I'm a recovering addict/alcoholic and I used to buy suboxone when I was still using.  I've been clean for over 5 years, but its something that never goes away, even if it settles into the background.  I couldn't risk anything that could wake up the old addiction.  Anyway, I truly hope you can find some relief... some hope.

Hey Jonobell, sorry so long in responding, wasnt following the thread. Anyway, how is the ect going? I hope well. Like I said it was great for me the first 2 times, then the third group of sessions didnt work anymore. But I hope its going well for you. I just had first appointment with dr for ketamine, I will be starting treatments next week...hoping and praying it works for me.....

Posted · Report post  

Hey Michaelalan...

Thanks for asking.  I've had 7 treatments, thus far, and it's been a mixed bag.  I certainly haven't had the lifting of mood I was hoping for.  But I also haven't had the intense suicidal ideation either, so that's a plus.  Definitely the foggy, forgetful, spacey effects.  Some strange heightened olfactory sense, early on.  It was as if I was suddenly on a journey of the smells of my life.  Things I had forgotten about for decades were coming back to me, through scents and memories connected to them.  This was both a curse and a blessing.  Some memories were exciting and neat, while others were disturbing and repulsive.  Anyway, I haven't had a treatment since last Friday bc I wanted to give my head some time to clear out a little... felt like I was drifting too far out, and wanted to make sure I could regain some clarity before proceeding any further.  And the whole experience of the treatment REALLY, REALLY sucks.  The getting up super early to drive almost an hour, just to sit around for another hour while they prep me for treatment... the forever dry mouth from the meds... the mental fog after treatment...  

I intend to go back for another treatment on Friday.  Perhaps there is some benefit to be had from more treatment.  I do wonder if it's something that gets used up over time.  Like what you were saying about the first 2 times and then the 3rd... I wonder if I used up most of the dramatic benefit the first time I did ECT, years ago, when it worked so well...  

I wish you the very best with your upcoming ketamine treatment.  I truly hope you find some relief.  Let me know how it goes, if you would.

Wishing you the best

Posted · Report post  

Oh, I almost forgot (well I did forget)... the anxiety.  Anxiety REALLLY  ramped up during the last few treatments.  Had to increase the amount of diazepam I'm taking, as a result.  This, in turn, left me more spaced-out and down, so... counter-productive in that capacity.  I wonder if others experience that intensified anxiety while undergoing ECT...

Posted · Report post  

1 hour ago, Jonobell said:

Hey Michaelalan...

Thanks for asking.  I've had 7 treatments, thus far, and it's been a mixed bag.  I certainly haven't had the lifting of mood I was hoping for.  But I also haven't had the intense suicidal ideation either, so that's a plus.  Definitely the foggy, forgetful, spacey effects.  Some strange heightened olfactory sense, early on.  It was as if I was suddenly on a journey of the smells of my life.  Things I had forgotten about for decades were coming back to me, through scents and memories connected to them.  This was both a curse and a blessing.  Some memories were exciting and neat, while others were disturbing and repulsive.  Anyway, I haven't had a treatment since last Friday bc I wanted to give my head some time to clear out a little... felt like I was drifting too far out, and wanted to make sure I could regain some clarity before proceeding any further.  And the whole experience of the treatment REALLY, REALLY sucks.  The getting up super early to drive almost an hour, just to sit around for another hour while they prep me for treatment... the forever dry mouth from the meds... the mental fog after treatment...  

I intend to go back for another treatment on Friday.  Perhaps there is some benefit to be had from more treatment.  I do wonder if it's something that gets used up over time.  Like what you were saying about the first 2 times and then the 3rd... I wonder if I used up most of the dramatic benefit the first time I did ECT, years ago, when it worked so well...  

I wish you the very best with your upcoming ketamine treatment.  I truly hope you find some relief.  Let me know how it goes, if you would.

Wishing you the best

thanks Jonobell, so sorry your not getting much from the ect as of yet... but its only 7 treatments so far, so there is still hope. Ive been praying for you the past couple days thst this is an answer.....with regard to the anxiety you mentioned, I never got that from my experience with ect, dont know about others...... keep us updated as the treatments continue and i will do the same with my ketamine..... blessings...Michael