College Student Financial DEPRESSION

I am so tired of constantly being stressed my age, I feel like everyone else is having fun and enjoying there lives. I am a college student on the pre-medical track, I plan on taking the MCAT exam this week. I have not had a summer this year, I've spent my entire summer studying for this exam, 6 days a week for 50-60 hours per week.

My mother was in a car accident my freshman year that left her in a bankruptcy and only bringing home about $400 per month and my dad lost his job of 20 years. I am in the process of applying to medical school, so far I've already invested $1000+ in primary applications and my exam. I have an old hospital bill I just found out went to collections for $109 that will ruin my credit if I don't pay, I just don't have it. My dad said he was going to take care of it, but never did.

My clothes are worn and are developing holes, I have no money to replace my clothes. I am down to one bra and the wires are already coming loose and cutting me each day. Secondary applications will cost close to $700 and I don't know how I will do it, I don't even have money for books this year. I'm worried the stress of money will effect my exam and my grades, I am just exhausted with constant stress. I am a couponer, I get a lot of things like paper towels, toilet paper, lotion, soap, shampoo, detergent etc for my family and myself to take back to campus, that is the only positive I can think of.

Edited by depressedamber

I’m so sorry to hear about your situation, girl. Your post brought tears to my eyes, and I wish I could give you a hug. I know it’s not easy to face an ongoing struggle to make ends meet, and I can understand how difficult and frustrating it must be for you. I just said a prayer for you, and I hope that God will provide for all your needs and surround you many reminders of His unfailing watch-care. Please don’t get stressed out. Stay strong. You’re in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs!

Wow, you have a lot on your plate!  First of all, I'm sending all the positive vibes and good wishes I can for the MCAT.  Sounds like you have been putting in an immense amount of time preparing for it; I know how anxiety is around big tests like this, so I won't hope that you are free of it, but I will hope that once you take it, you finally feel some relief at it being over. :-)

Even when we have a lot of responsibilities and a lot of things going on in our lives, it's important to find ways to self-nurture. Have you been doing anything to take care of yourself during all of this upheaval in your life? If not, can you think of things you might be able to do (that don't cost money) to help soothe yourself...things you enjoy or just things that offer comfort?

I'm wondering also if you have anyone there you can talk to? Sometimes simply having someone to share the burden is helpful when we're under a lot of stress.

Are you able to get financial aid for your schooling?

Take care,

rhyl