Some people online aren't terribly friendly!

I've been using Internet forums for years now. In the distant past, some of the message boards I populated were okay. I liked many of the members, and I like to think some of them liked me back. Most of the websites I registered with are about video games, so I'm sure you will agree that forums like that can attract lots of immature people with nothing better to do but annoy other [sane] users, which means I have been subjected to a lot of abuse. I've always preferred forums with a neat interface as well, free from huge flashing logos, gimmicky stuff, and dark backgrounds. I'm also not keen on members who post nothing but, 'L-O-L' type remarks or emoticons. There's a horror site I go to, and I think the users there do that just to get their post count raised.

What's better? Two or three posts with good banter, or a hundred posts with utter nonsense?

The ones that still remain though, I feel are just full of trolls, or they are a boneyard now compared to the days of forums being bigger than Facebook. Twitter. Reddit. Etc. Many websites now just post news sparingly, but otherwise, they don't have any unique content anymore.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of Facebook in general. It is like a club where you don't get into certain groups or even get approved as a friend, unless you're seen as one of the cool kids. To me, it's a lot of pettiness, egotism and backbiting. Why do you need to know what your old classmates are doing now anyway? Etc. It just irritates some people. Also, if you run the risk of disagreeing with something, you get a barrage of your "friends" insulting you and/or blocking you afterwards. Even people who you may think are a loyal friend can just decide to delete/block you after being nice at first, if "they feel like it." You know you're blocked if you go to someone's page and it has that taped up thumb picture with a comment saying the page isn't available, yet you can often see the main page of this person's account if you sign out and use the go back button. Unless this is because they deleted or deactivated their profile, I am certain you've been blocked.

Also, quite often I've been feeling depressed, so I've went on relationship/autism/mental health type sites to get support/sympathy/whatever, and some of the members are just flame predators. Because I know some people have a short attention span, I try to shorten my first post in a thread so they can see something that ain't a huge wall of text (or i.e. one big rant). Some people prefer that. Then you get some odd respondents saying stuff like, "Oh, I sympathize, but I don't think this is the whole story." Yet if I attempt to delve into all the facts, they nitpick my faults as opposed to those who I feel wronged me, or they even admit they cannot follow what I'm saying anyway.

For example, I was abused by my old support workers and I lost my flat due to a major ordeal. Yet when I was spewing about that before, they persistently overlooked everything I was saying, so I needed to remind them they're not being sympathetic, let alone observant enough. Then they kind of half agreed with me, so they didn't look bad. Like, I mentioned that I got this guy being a knob and emailing me using a nickname, despite being a care worker. The guy must have lost his marbles. Yet in the same story as it were, I said I'd been in jail because I tried to make things right again with a few ladies, and it had the opposite effect. Now I suppose admitting to stuff like that is a red flag, although I did point out I was abused. But I don't know. It's like they're just not very clever at all.

Similarly, I had issues with [IMDb web site] too. I happened to find out Sylvester Stallone was in all these movies as an extra. So I just found him, and even uploaded videos to show people. Then I had the films credited. Like, in one film, he was an extra in a restaurant, and I reckon I was probably one of like two people who knew he was in this film. So I had these morons screwing up his filmography, probably because they went moaning that it wasn't him. Etc. So I went on their support forums, and just got a yarn about how the subject needs to be identified on-screen, yet I did all this and they weren't happy. When I pointed out their so-called BS policy, they erased even more credits of his, even ones that were listed there for years. It's just so pointless.

I recently had this guy annoying me at a site where there is no regulation anymore. He put up my friend's address because it is in a video on YouTube. Then he picked on me because I said I like transgender people and then made several derogatory remarks about me being gay, when people who like transgender people do not always identify as being gay. He also uploaded pictures of people I know on another site, but since he technically isn't posting off topic spam, he isn't banned. However, I don't like online communities much any more, since I get harassed quite frequently by stalkers. Any idea on what I can do about this nuisance?

Edited by KidSurvivor2011
Links not allowed

I've had someone make an unsavory remark on here with a very lame apology but I'm keeping an open mind here. I understand what you mean though, being queer is very difficult on the internet, and being someone with a conscience woah lordy. You're in the wrong and they make you feel stupid for being so "easily offended" or make fun of you saying you're triggered or call you slurs. 

I am on some anime fan pages and people are suuuccch trash like I keep shaking my head and thinking "this is why people don't like us. This is why we can't have nice things or be taken seriously for real"

This is the guy who has been "bothering" me recently. He doesn't annoy me one bit, yet he spams in every thread I post in, practically. But he committed a ban worthy offense because he posted my mate's home address and keeps posting jive to get me to respond.

*link removed*

He made spam accounts at [Biohaze web site], then returned as Gimpy, where he admittedly posts in a normal manner, but him and another profile entitled Rawhide use stolen pictures of people I know. That's how I know it was intentional. They don't spam because they are trying to appear like normal accounts. Gimpy then made autism and anxiety topics - two issues he knows I have, where I offered off site help. Then he joined Psych Central (but got banned) and came on [Love Forum web site], harassing me in every thread I recently contributed to, besides a few, calling me crap, among other things. 

The thread above is just an edited version of a related topic I made about him bothering me. I've tried to put him on ignore mode. Someone said that should prevent annoying users from contributing in my threads, but it just hides the posts from view. That's it.

Links not allowed

No, I cannot. There aren't any moderators who log in there to deal with spammers. When I put an account on ignore mode, that profile can still post anywhere, but they just cannot send me private messages, and I disable that option most of the time anyway, which is why he targets me in active topics (so I may have to stop posting there for a while, to make him move along).

Online you decide whether to let people bother you or not. If someone says something you don't like, ignore them. Problem solved. Don't give them the satisfaction of getting a rise out of you. The only people worth your time are the ones you like. Focus on them and let anything else just roll off.

i agree with everything you said. i recently had yet another forum that i had to quit due to being "rate spammed" and a major disagreement with a moderator, i just asked to have my account banned. i have also had similar problems with autism and other forums. at this point i only have a very small fb account, i keep few friends to avoid most problems. of course this now means i have virtually no interactions with anyone which hurts.

The guy came back, as CJ Melendez (stealing the name used by someone at Rely on Horror) and spammed in dozens of threads. Then this other rude troll (named pcmaster, who claims to be in his 50s) also spammed in a thread, saying my typing style matched his so I must be him. I've already posted there to say I won't be back, because a site with no moderators to maintain it is beyond a joke.

I've been to a few other places through the years and agree that not everybody is nice.  

If you can't get help from a site moderator or block anybody who is a pest, just ignore that person.  It's the one great thing you can do online that you can't do when somebody bothers you in person.

Oh lordy you ain't a kidding! I enjoy watching anime but gave up trying to follow that scene a long time ago.

As someone who is queer, deals with mental illness, and is also an avid automotive enthusiast, I've found some car forums to be terrible dens of toxic masculinity and general jerkishness. As time has gone I've thinned out which forums I visit or post in.

I've been using the Internet since the late 90's, and I do feel that as it's gotten more populated, we've gotten a wider variety of people online -- some of them very loud, and very annoying. A crowd usually isn't the most thoughtful place to be, and it's crowded now. There are a handful of slower forums where people tend to be more open, such as this one, but I find myself connecting less and less with people I talk to online as friends. Just have to look for the right places, I suppose.

I do think there are a lot of "armchair psychologists" online as well, who attempt to give advice without having any information or being qualified to do so (meaning the advice, at best, is generally useless if not outright harmful). Annoying, but easily ignored.

The only place I still really connect to people is over video games, although I've been playing less. They're a great pastime, but at the same time they do attract immature people, as you said. I don't want to play "hardcore" as some do. The challenge is fun, but video game achievements rarely seem to make the people who work for them happy. I did high-end boss fights in MMOs for a year, and while it was an experience I'm glad to have tried I'm also glad to have quit.

In terms of troublesome people, it's best to just remove yourself and not give them attention. I've met more than my fair share and it's just not worth the energy.

Edited by Bebop

Well, this certainly sucks. 

I messaged the active moderators on Biohaze (a Resident Evil site) to point out what Gimpy did, and because I was told to stop messaging them about it because they don't care, I got banned until 13 August. Reason stated was that I was spamming. What bollocks! 

The members on that site and I had some beef years ago. That's why if trolls sign up specifically to annoy me, they just kick back, let it carry on and they probably enjoy the fact it occurs. But I'd thought about leaving there anyway. I've posted on there for years, but the replies aren't consistent or interesting enough anymore. Sadly, [Love Forum web site] will go the same way because if you go there right now, you will see that somebody called CJ Melendez has wrecked the forums by mass posting the same thing. Like I said, the popularity of message boards has gone down the drain, and I don't wish to waste my time dealing with losers on the few that are still decent. Besides, I can get news about upcoming games and films from general websites, and why should my opinion matter? They clearly couldn't care less if I left now and never went back. The websites that come with forums are just a bonus, but now I don't care. They've lost a good long term member, and they should be ashamed for letting me go. 

Links not allowed

Sorry to double post. I just like sharing my anguish, and I've had quite a lot of it lately.

I contacted the producer of some film I was in as an extra. I didn't get my perks yet apart from a role as an extra, so I just nicely messaged the person who produced the film this morning, just to ask what was up. Then after one reply, I said I like Australian music because she resides in Australia, and I got blocked. The site I used to pledge money for the film is called Indiegogo.

I must say, many people in this world (this Erin included) are anti-social. If I'd sent inflammatory remarks, I could see why being blocked would be merited. Some of these money begging cretins are very ungrateful. But why scam someone with a disability? 6 months later and no film has arrived in the mail. This is why I'd be careful about donating large amounts of money. There's too many takers out there and not enough givers. The way people bully me is a disgrace.

I'm called Peter, by the way. Rebecca Chambers is from a game.

Edited by Rebecca Chambers