Sign in to follow this  
Wanderlust4ever

Diabetes & Depression

Hi!

I am new to this site. I had no idea this place existed and I'm honestly glad I found it. 

I am 24 years old and I have been a Type 1 Diabetic since I was 5. I have basically lived with this my whole life and I have never been "normal". My father was a HUGE help for me because he also had diabetes. I was very close with him (most definitely a daddy's girl). He had MANY complications from poor treatment and he sadly passed away in February 2003 from his heart failing in recovery after surgery. Ever since then, my depression has only gotten worse. Through out the years I went to therapy for a short time. But along with growing up & having no one else "like me" around to help and understand. I felt very alone (still do). I've self-harmed myself on and off for years, my last time sadly being some time last year.

I also don't take care of myself very well when it comes to my diabetes. I just want to be normal and worry free. I just haven't seen the point in trying to take care of myself. I don't want to P**k and stab myself multiple times a day, every day. I don't want to have to think about how my EVERY move/choice will effect me and my diabetes. Cause that's how things are now. This has caused me to start having neuropathy symptoms (SHARP, extremely painful stabbing pains in my feet/hands/body). Because of this and my depression, my doctor put me on 30mg of Cymbalta. While it has helped me greatly for the neuropathy, I don't feel it is helping my depression and anxiety anymore. I can't really talk to my friends because they don't understand how hard diabetes can really be.

I mainly would just like to know if any other diabetics out there are struggling just as much as me and are feeling just as alone as me.

Hello WanderLust.
I know this thread is old but I guess I'm one of the few on here who understands your plight. I've been type 1 diabetic since age 5 too (33 years now). I've dealt w/ depression as well; how much of the depression is due directly to the 'beetus I can't say, but dealing w/ the disease is more likely to cause the depression to me than having the disease. Probably what's hardest for is not being able to lose weight. It seems like it just creeps up and up and up and no matter what I do, no matter how hard I work out, I'm still chubby and can see why no women want me when I see my tubby frame passing by in a store window reflection. The Lantus is just unmerciful w/ weight gain, it seems. I don't think I'll ever find love again b/c of it, tbh.
I get neuropathy too but luckily it's not too painful and it just feels like these teeny,tiny pinpricks all over.
The biggest problem I find w/ Diabetes is how fatigued I feel. And God, getting up for work 5 days in a row truly is a form of unacknowledged torture. And the ****ing insulin cartel which has profited from us having a disease which we can't help & will need the medication for until the day we die is truly radicalizing. They charge us $300+ for a medication that costs about $6 to manufacture. And yet this is supposedly the "Greatest Country on the face of the planet. Ever"™️
Hope you're hanging in there.

-The Last Outpost

Whether it is old thread but i like to say that there is old connection between depression and diabetes. I have read somewhere that having diabetes doubles risk of developing depression. If diabetes related health problems emerge, your risk for depression can increase even further.

Edited by Anav Sharma