Sign in to follow this  
skigirl1689

Poop-out after a decade?

I've been on Lexapro 20mg for almost 10 years, and the past month has been hell. It started with extreme anxiety, and now I am having borderline suicidal thoughts, not wanting to be here and struggling to get through each day. I've seen my doctor twice as I am so hesitant to change meds in fears it will make it worse. But I just emailed her and asked if she could call in a new med (she wants to try Zoloft).

My question is, does this sound like a poop-out? I thought it was because of stopping birth control and some stress, but now it feels like my last severe depressive episode (my first).

Because our bodies change every seven years, so can our tolerance and reactions to medicine.  It can be that Lexapro no longer works well with you or that you need a higher dosage. 

You did the write thing by contacting your doctor.  If Zoloft doesn't work, she will find something that will.

Hang in there.

40 minutes ago, Azzurra18 said:

Because our bodies change every seven years, so can our tolerance and reactions to medicine.  It can be that Lexapro no longer works well with you or that you need a higher dosage. 

You did the write thing by contacting your doctor.  If Zoloft doesn't work, she will find something that will.

Hang in there.

Thank you. I keep doubting myself because I feel better most evenings, but then the cycle repeats itself. Then I also worry that changing meds will make it worse. But like my doctor says, it cannot go on like this. I was hoping it was a med interaction, but it doesn't seem to be improving as it should.

You're welcome.  I agree with your doctor; there has to be something out there that will make you feel good all the time.  I completely understand your reluctance in changing your meds.  You just have to trust your doctor, but you should definitely express your concerns to her.  

Celexa pooped out exactly at 10 years and I had a major relapsed that ended in divorce. Try something else now, there are many meds. Take care!!

2 hours ago, Inbetween said:

Celexa pooped out exactly at 10 years and I had a major relapsed that ended in divorce. Try something else now, there are many meds. Take care!!

I'm sorry to hear that. Major relapses are so very difficult. I've been on Zoloft for over 3 months now, upped after 3 weeks from 100mg to 150mg. I don't know if it's working as well as it should be. I am dealing with some major life issues. I am moderately physically disabled and I can't get answers as to who will take care of me when my parents are no longer able to. The state is not answering my inquiries. Worse is coming to the realization I'll never have a family life and I'll be alone for a lot of my life. I feel trapped in my body and like I have no control over my future. I know it's just the lot I've been given in this life, but it's very difficult for me to see much to my life after my parents are gone :(.