Sign in to follow this  
Debbers

Game: Childhood Memories

Dad taking us to the bookstore and Dairy Queen every Sunday

Playing softball in the back yard

Reading a Dr. Seuss book aloud one summer night on the front stoop with our friend, "Gooney," from across the street

("Look what we found in the park in the dark.
We will take him home.  We will call him Clark.
He will live in our house.  He will grow and grow.
Will our mother like this?  We don't know.")

Summertime - being free from school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Creating characters with my dolls (doing voices, etc.) with my younger brother

Going to Idlewild, Michigan (an all-Black summer resort area) to my grandparents' summer house (which they bought in the days of segregation) (Oh!  the smell of the lake beach!!!!!!)

Edited by womanofthelight

oooh great topic!

Add me to the people with fondness for Saturday morning cartoons :)

but I'll add another 3:

1. How deep and intense was imagination! My little brother and I put on "shows"--we played superheroes after we were supposed to be asleep.

2. Playing with my Barbie dolls that they were the queens & princesses of the fantasy world I was creating

3. The bookmobile on a summer afternoon. It was air conditioned!

1. The day JFK died

2. trout fishing on the Trinity River (N. California, US)

3. licking the beaters (which I still think would make a good name for a band! LOL)

1 hour ago, Lady Mozzer said:

1.Music videos

2.Saturday morning cartoons for me too!

3.Record shopping

Oh man!  Record shopping!!!!!  I remember being in a listening station at the Barnes and Noble when I first heard Tracy Chapman's voice!  Wow!  Thank you for stirring that good memory for me, Lady Mozzer!!!!!!!

Incredible Edibles

the way my lunch box smelled

fastening playing cards on my Stingray bike with a wooden clothespin to make it sound like it had a motor when the card flipped across the spokes

On 9/8/2017 at 1:10 AM, Debbers said:

1. The day JFK died

I vividly remember that day, and the days that followed, how all 3 major t.v. network stations and the public station carried nothing but coverage of the assassination and the events afterwards. We missed our tv shows, but we knew how important a time in history this was.

Catching grasshoppers and keeping them in little Fleischman's Margarine tubs on grandmother's back porch... all the little tubs popping around on the porch....

The sound of 'tree locusts' (cicadas) in the trees on a hot summer evening, signaling the end of the day. 

Long car rides to grandma's house, and me looking out the car window and imagining that I was the Black Stallion racing the car through the fields, leaping over fences and ditches....

Sitting at the dining room window watching the bird feeder in grandma's back yard, trying to remember all the types of birds... (Cardinals, Juncoes, Titmice, Chickadees, Yellow Finches, even Purple Finch sometimes...) 

Playing out in the street or at the outdoor pool until dark

Getting caught eating strange foods like raw bacon or spoons of the cheap Chefmaster brand margarine (a bit of a lead in to my food issues)

Growing a small garden every year for the Horticultural Society

Walking to the park with my family and our neighbors and their families to the park for the 4th of July fireworks at the park down the road from where we lived.

Helms bakery truck pulling up in front of the house and when the guy opened the drawer full of freshly made glazed doughnuts, the fragrance was heavenly.

During the summer, when the street lights came on, I had to be in the house.

My kids have memories similar to your first one, debbers.... our town puts up fireworks at Thanksgiving as well as July Fourth.  We sit downtown and watch, then walk around while everyone enjoys a tax free shopping evening.  :flowers:

Sign in to follow this