Why do I have to be old?

Thedreamfox

I want to be young. I think about it so much it saddens me. And I have to grow up and understand myself. I don't have anyone to shield me. It feels as though no one has the answer key to my mind but me though I've misplaced it. But I'm still a teen. Yet I feel like I'm unable to crawl back to that place of innocence and vulnerability. I will never be back in my flower themed room, surrounded by stray goldfish and stuffed animals. I won't ever be a kid again. A fun-loving, carefree, oblivious kid. 

I hear you ! ! !  Hopefully you will find some way to keep your "young self" alive within you throughout your life.  I am 62 years old and my body is starting to fall apart but I try to keep the child within me alive and well.

What you wrote reminds me of something said by a famous old movie director.  He was being interviewed and was asked about his childhood.  He said that when he was little he had an imaginary friend.  The interviewer asked him:  "Do you ever miss your imaginary friend?"  And the movie director answered:  "How could I miss him, he is still with me even after 50 years."  I only mentions this to offer you some hope that you will be able to keep the child within you for your entire life.  That might even be the secret of a happier life.  What do you think?

Edited by Epictetus

You never have to stop being a fun-loving carefree oblivious kid.  I'm 38 and am still as much like a kid as I ever was.  Nobody will ever say you act like an adult to me.  You never really have to act your age if you don't want to.  I'm proof of that.

6 hours ago, Epictetus said:

I hear you ! ! !  Hopefully you will find some way to keep your "young self" alive within you throughout your life.  I am 62 years old and my body is starting to fall apart but I try to keep the child within me alive and well.

What you wrote reminds me of something said by a famous old movie director.  He was being interviewed and was asked about his childhood.  He said that when he was little he had an imaginary friend.  The interviewer asked him:  "Do you ever miss your imaginary friend?"  And the movie director answered:  "How could I miss him, he is still with me even after 50 years."  I only mentions this to offer you some hope that you will be able to keep the child within you for your entire life.  That might even be the secret of a happier life.  What do you think?

Thank you for you feedback. I think that's a lovely quote. What was the director's name?

5 hours ago, Teddy545 said:

You can still have a room like you said and you can still be fun loving. You don't have to start liking different things because of your age.  The main thing is you have more responsibilities the older you are. until you become an adult.  When you're an adult you can choose if you want to add more responsibilities.  I think the key is not to take on more responsibilities then you can handle.  :flowers:

Sometimes I don't really get a choice about how many responsibilities I have to take on. It's so stressful. Thank you for your feedback

4 hours ago, sober4life said:

You never have to stop being a fun-loving carefree oblivious kid.  I'm 38 and am still as much like a kid as I ever was.  Nobody will ever say you act like an adult to me.  You never really have to act your age if you don't want to.  I'm proof of that.

I will try to be more in touch with my inner child, thank you very much for your reply 

7 hours ago, Thedreamfox said:
Advertisement

I want to be young. I think about it so much it saddens me. And I have to grow up and understand myself. I don't have anyone to shield me. It feels as though no one has the answer key to my mind but me though I've misplaced it. But I'm still a teen. Yet I feel like I'm unable to crawl back to that place of innocence and vulnerability. I will never be back in my flower themed room, surrounded by stray goldfish and stuffed animals. I won't ever be a kid again. A fun-loving, carefree, oblivious kid. 

I hear you im 22 and already feel so old and useless. It never feels like I have enough time for anything. Its sad time only moves quickly foward. You know what sucks that as you get older people expect you to stop liking certain things and dress a certain way because youre an "adult" now

It is because (in my mind) that the past is safe.  The future and the unknown is scary if you deal with anxiety.  I would give anything to be a kid again and not have a care In the world except to play. 😓