Sign in to follow this  
Debbers

What Makes You Laugh?

Caller on the helpline:

Atra, I've only been arrested 13 times and I've lived for 20 years in LA - that's not bad, don't ya think? 

2 hours ago, Atra said:

Caller on the helpline:

Atra, I've only been arrested 13 times and I've lived for 20 years in LA - that's not bad, don't ya think? 

That’s funny 😄 but I do hope you are joking 🙃 with us

19 hours ago, Floor2017 said:

That’s funny 😄 but I do hope you are joking 🙃 with us

Yes. In that example, it is laughing with the person not at the person. They were ready to find the humor in their unfortunate past. I think when we are ready laugh at our own dark stuff, it is sometimes a sign of healing. 

I sometimes laugh [only inwardly] when children teach me history lessons and make little errors.

One kid was telling me about Abraham Lincoln and among other things he said were:

Abraham Lincoln was born in a log cabin that he built with his own hands.

On 2/13/2020 at 4:20 AM, Atra said:

Yes. In that example, it is laughing with the person not at the person. They were ready to find the humor in their unfortunate past. I think when we are ready laugh at our own dark stuff, it is sometimes a sign of healing. 

I do agree when you can laugh at yourself it is therapy   in itself and the healing can begin 

40 minutes ago, Epictetus said:

I sometimes laugh [only inwardly] when children teach me history lessons and make little errors.

One kid was telling me about Abraham Lincoln and among other things he said were:

Abraham Lincoln was born in a log cabin that he built with his own hands.

I believe that.  Back then a lot of people built their own house.  If I had to build my own house it would look about as good as those forts you make as a kid inside with chairs and blankets.

Laughing At The Little Moron

I'll often laugh at tasteless jokes before I can make a decision whether I ought or ought not laugh, if they're funny.  Which is a funny thing because jokes that pivot on dehumanizing elements shouldn't be funny.

Mind you this doesn't apply if I understand that an offensive joke is on the way.  That is, if a story starts out, "Did you hear about the fag that . . ." or, "This bimbo walks into a logging camp and says . . ." then I can just walk away, or explain that I don't care to hear any AIDs or racist jokes, thanks anyway. But if I'm caught off guard I'll laugh at about anybody or anything.

I've laughed at jokes about farmer's daughters and salesmen, about blacks, yuppies, Mexicans, elephants, Pollacks, Aggies, rednecks, WASPs, morons, Bohemians, women, children, priests, Popes, and Jesus Christ.  To my chagrin, it seems that nothing is sacred to my funny bone.

My sense of humor often outstrips my sense of propriety, which is for the most part a good thing, because I wouldn't want to sacrifice my sense of humor for a sense of propriety--the former being more necessary for survival than the latter.  That is, you can get along in the world just fine without a keen sense of propriety, but you'll never make it without a sense of humor.

Edited by Bulgakov

I sadly don't really laugh or smile really at all anymore. However I do though occasionally because of my family, pets and my tubby crazy cat. Perhaps also at stupid cheesy movies and with extremely bad actors / actresses and story. 

21 hours ago, Epictetus said:

It makes me laugh when I go to an all-you-can-eat buffet and pile my food all the way up to the ceiling and then order a diet drink.

That’s it my friend and I feel you.  That just mean there is a few less consumption of Calories. 😂

In grabbing a small towel from the dryer, I didn't realize a pair of my underwear was attached to it until I saw it in the car. I'm so relieved I didn't bring it into the gym with me!

I went to the store to buy some ground meats from the butcher counter. 

Butcher: Hi. What can I get you?

Me: Hi. Got any ground turkey breast?

Butcher: We're completely out. People have been buying it up.

Me: Why is that do you think?

Butcher: I don't know. People have been buying it as soon as we set it out. It's like toilet paper, I guess. 

Me (loudly): You can use ground turkey for toilet paper?!?

🤣

Sign in to follow this