Peyton17

Is it a mental illness?

Hi, I'm really new here and I'm not entirely sure how this works, but I'll try my best.

I was told that I have depression a couple months ago and have been on Wellbutrin ever since. I don't really know how it's going. I have really low moments that usually happen at night; they're pretty hard to explain, but I'm sure everyone here has them. I think we all know that they suck. Anyway, it gets really hard because my family doesn't exactly believe in mental illness and they don't talk about so it's really lonely. I've tried talking to my friends about it, but it's not their problem and they believe as much. So I'm pretty alone going through all of this, but it's fine I should be able to handle it. One of the things I'm really struggling with is whether it's a mental illness. I know it's a mental illness that affects a lot of people. I know the stigma involved in mental illness. I know it's real, and it affects me. I don't know if I'm being too hard on myself, but it's really hard to comprehend that it's something I have. It's not that I'm in denial, I just find it hard to acknowledge that this is happening to me. Any advice would be much appreciated on how people have coped with the fact that they have depression.

I think of it as the mental equivalent of a physical illness.  Lots of people get sprained ankles, infections and things like that, and the same is true for mental illness.