Do your Spiritual/religious beliefs protect you?

I have treatment resistant depression and can't take meds because of the side effects (I've posted about it a lot). But here is a question. I am not religious, but I am very spiritual. I do not believe that we will ever be eternally punished for what we do as human beings (not saying that the Universe is going to reward immoral behavior, I'm just saying I don't think I'm going to be sitting in a lake of fire for eternity because of my mistakes). So then, suicide to me, is not a punishable offense. I'm not condoning it, even though I have lots of suicidal thoughts. But my spiritual beliefs are certainly not protective factors from my depression. I believe in a loving being and a chance to rest and recover surrounded by love after we die. Why in the world would I want to stick around on this earth if that's what I believe happens when I die? Point is, there comes a time when surviving is just silly. In my opinion. I love my spiritual beliefs but they aren't protective factors for me. Can anyone relate or am I just rambling? 

Peace. 

Positivenegative:

I respect your beliefs and I don't think you are rambling.  What I understand you saying is that you don't feel one would be punished in an afterlife for committing suicide and that after death one who has been challenged by treatment-resistant depression would receive rest and recovery.  Which leads to  your question, Why stick around on earth?  

I want to affirm the empathy evident in your comments.  They show compassion and, I think, wisdom. 

I wish that spiritual belief or religious practices could produce a protective sphere that wards off mental illness.  But the evidence isn't there.  At least such protection doesn't happen magically. 

I do think that my spiritual practices and religious beliefs serve as resources for dealing with depression, anxiety, and OCD.

My prayer (is it okay for me to use that word?) for you is that you continue to think and feel with such empathy and wisdom so that your spiritual gifts serve to widen your life experience, even if just incrementally, so that others might see the Light in you.  

Yes, I can relate.  I had to think about it for a little bit to realize what you meant by your spiritual beliefs not 'protecting' you.  I no longer believe that suicide will cause me to go to H*ll.  And that's about all I can tell you without 'preaching'. I keep going because of my spiritual beliefs, and because of my family.  Survival is not stupid or useless.  It will get you somewhere, and someday you will do more than just survive.  It might take you a while to recognize that you are doing more than just surviving, though. 

My unique understanding of faith shields me from myself and others (things that lead to straying from the light and descent into falsity). I will tell you, He that is most mighty gathers not the selfish dead to his side; salvation is earned, not given on demand. Punishment is something to be expected for wrong doing. I expect nothing less than judgement for what I have done. That's just how it is. Fire and brimstone things like this guide people on the path to righteousness and slaying of foul beasts that would sure love for you to give yourself over to them. Survival of the grand ideal above all else. Do what is needed over what you want. Don't make haste with a cheap exit seeking riches for self. Service eternal. "Lo, though the time is dark, my faith shines"

Edited by Going_it_Alonne

Going it Alone....

I respect your beliefs. The only part of what you shared that resonates with me though was when you said "do what is needed over what you want." When people are in as much pain as some of us are, what's needed is mercy and for the pain to be taken away. Who is going to judge me? I can't understand or believe that there is an entity out there waiting to torture me for my wrongdoings. I think I will only me faced with Love. Which is a great thing. We torture ourselves enough already. 

I signed up just to answer this question. 

For what its worth,  I do not believe you will be "punished" for taking your life as much as you yourself will realize you made a mistake and wish you hadn't done that. We only get one chance here. I believe we are all here for a reason. Even misery has its purpose too. 

You can decide to change your mind later, if you don't it. The opposite is not true if you do. 

If nothing else, if you wait long enough the problem solves itself. 

Suicide is a big decision. Anyone considering it should wait 90 years just to be certain. 

Happy vibes to you! As much as possible. And I'm sorry this is happening to you. 

Edited by Stormy01
Stupidity

On 7/6/2017 at 7:27 PM, 20YearsandCounting said:

Yes, I can relate.  I had to think about it for a little bit to realize what you meant by your spiritual beliefs not 'protecting' you.  I no longer believe that suicide will cause me to go to H*ll.  And that's about all I can tell you without 'preaching'. I keep going because of my spiritual beliefs, and because of my family.  Survival is not stupid or useless.  It will get you somewhere, and someday you will do more than just survive.  It might take you a while to recognize that you are doing more than just surviving, though. 

This is beautiful!

On 7/6/2017 at 11:36 AM, Positivenegative said:
Advertisement

I have treatment resistant depression and can't take meds because of the side effects (I've posted about it a lot). But here is a question. I am not religious, but I am very spiritual. I do not believe that we will ever be eternally punished for what we do as human beings (not saying that the Universe is going to reward immoral behavior, I'm just saying I don't think I'm going to be sitting in a lake of fire for eternity because of my mistakes). So then, suicide to me, is not a punishable offense. I'm not condoning it, even though I have lots of suicidal thoughts. But my spiritual beliefs are certainly not protective factors from my depression. I believe in a loving being and a chance to rest and recover surrounded by love after we die. Why in the world would I want to stick around on this earth if that's what I believe happens when I die? Point is, there comes a time when surviving is just silly. In my opinion. I love my spiritual beliefs but they aren't protective factors for me. Can anyone relate or am I just rambling? 

Peace. 

Definitely Not rambling at all! I see very various good points here. However as someone who is spiritual such as yourself I would think that perhaps by believing in some sort of after life that itself can you give an idea to believe that herpas there is a greater purpose for you to experience here on Earth before making it to the other side. If there somewhere you go after death than there must be a reason why you would have to(experience earth first before getting there. If there was no purpose for this and you believe that there is indeed something after death like you state than theres a reason why youre just not there in the first place. By choosing to cut your life before its meant to end its not that you're going to hell but perhaps youre cutting out an important part of the equation out. Spirituality has its purposes. Not sure if I am making any sense im probably the one whos rambling lol

10 hours ago, Maryyy said:

Definitely Not rambling at all! I see very various good points here. However as someone who is spiritual such as yourself I would think that perhaps by believing in some sort of after life that itself can you give an idea to believe that herpas there is a greater purpose for you to experience here on Earth before making it to the other side. If there somewhere you go after death than there must be a reason why you would have to(experience earth first before getting there. If there was no purpose for this and you believe that there is indeed something after death like you state than theres a reason why youre just not there in the first place. By choosing to cut your life before its meant to end its not that you're going to hell but perhaps youre cutting out an important part of the equation out. Spirituality has its purposes. Not sure if I am making any sense im probably the one whos rambling lol

Great points. I know there is a reason. I just get exhausted of trying to figure it out sometimes. And weary of everything. But, I agree with you, spirituality has it's purposes. Maybe the point of life is to just accept that. Who knows. Peace. 

15 hours ago, Positivenegative said:

Great points. I know there is a reason. I just get exhausted of trying to figure it out sometimes. And weary of everything. But, I agree with you, spirituality has it's purposes. Maybe the point of life is to just accept that. Who knows. Peace. 

Youre talking to the person whos constanlty in a disassociating state and in existential crisis every other hour. 😩 it definetly is hard. Because theres never really a solid anwser to anything and when your depressed its extremely difficult to find something that will help you feel like time is even worth experiencing idk. But yeah you're right who knows. I wish you the best!! And i wish you peace of mind .

Hello, I'm writing to let you know that God is the judge of all thing. Praying fervently for His help in times of trouble has helped me tremendously. I also had resistant depression and anxiety. It took 12 years till I found the right mix. What you eat also has an impact on your mood. I changed meds last summer and easily went on a diet and for the first time lost 60 lbs. My self confidence grew, and I didn't cheat on my diet at all. I gave all the glory to God. You must know that there is a God, where would this beautiful world and universe come from? Not monkeys evolving!, pick up a bible and start reading about Jesus Christ, Gods only son who died for our sins, so that we would go to heaven if only we believed. You can't EARN your way there. JEsus did that for us on the cross. If this is Greek to you, I would advise you to get some Christian counseling. God is the beginning and the end. You can only get to heaven believing in Him. Wouldn't it be better to learn about Him and believe, than wait and find out what a huge mistake you made. I hope you can find someone to speak with about this. Good Luck and God Bless. I would be willing to speak with you.

You're not rambling at all.  In my religion, I always had to hear how people who commit suicide go straight to hell but I do not believe that at all.  Those who commit suicide already have been tortured so much on earth that there is no way God sends them to hell.  While I also agree that the afterlife for those who possess no evil is nothing but peace and love, living on earth is very important.  This is the place to grow and make strong bonds with people that you will get to see on the other side as well.  We know what to expect here on earth, but we don't know what else to expect about death.

"Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, only changed in form."  Albert Einstein

Whether or not you decided to remain in your physical form, your energy is eternal, because we are all part of that eternal universal Source.  Sometimes I realize I'm sticking around not only because I'm "following orders" (as my sister calls it) and must "obey" that voice within me that says I have to finish a particular project, but more often its just to see how far I get without offing myself.  Every day can be an opportunity for gratitude and/or pain. 

On 7/6/2017 at 9:36 AM, Positivenegative said:
Advertisement

Peace. 

I used to think prayer did than after some traumatic things happened I started thinking that no now I'm waiting to see if it does.