Sign in to follow this  
Corbin

It's never enough

No matter how hard I try, it's never enough for her. My mom has been pressuring me more than ever to get me a job, now that her health insurance has been cancelled by her boss. So far, I've applied to 34 jobs and I ask myself: "When is enough enough?" I'm only 19 years old, but I feel like she's just pressuring me to no end.

Honestly that isn't that unusual, you've not been working for a while now and aren't going to school, I know my parents would have given me hell for that. When I took 6 months off from school and worked my mom demanded that I pay half the rent to contribute to the household. Your mom probably just feels that you're letting yourself go and not making enough of an effort. 

You say you applied for 34 jobs, what kind of jobs? Are you just sending your resume and a copy/paste cover letter? You may have better luck knocking on small businesses' doors or calling them up asking if they have any work available. If you're only applying for jobs that are publicly posted odds will be against you since they may get 100 applicants for a vacant position and lacking an education you won't be on top of their list. Another good option is signing up with a few temp agencies, if you do a good job the employer may later hire you as a full-time employee and in the meantime you'll be making some money to contribute to the household. 

6 hours ago, lonelyforeigner said:

Honestly that isn't that unusual, you've not been working for a while now and aren't going to school, I know my parents would have given me hell for that. When I took 6 months off from school and worked my mom demanded that I pay half the rent to contribute to the household. Your mom probably just feels that you're letting yourself go and not making enough of an effort. 

You say you applied for 34 jobs, what kind of jobs? Are you just sending your resume and a copy/paste cover letter? You may have better luck knocking on small businesses' doors or calling them up asking if they have any work available. If you're only applying for jobs that are publicly posted odds will be against you since they may get 100 applicants for a vacant position and lacking an education you won't be on top of their list. Another good option is signing up with a few temp agencies, if you do a good job the employer may later hire you as a full-time employee and in the meantime you'll be making some money to contribute to the household. 

Well, college is still abound for August, so there's something to look forward to. The only problem is just being able to keep myself there for as long as I could. Last year did not work out so well due to my hospitalization, medications, and poor commute going on. I had no idea why I chose that college in the first place. You're right that my Mom thinks I'm letting myself go, but I'm only 19, not 25. The jobs mainly consist of internships, pets, online, data entry, and assistant jobs and they're all on indeed. Only one job needed a cover letter sent.

That's what I was trying to do in my first few weeks of finding a job until the mention of temp agencies and building my resume came up in late March. That's when I started to get more motivated and compelled to finding a job in this tough market, but considering how my disassociation with business specifics (in terms of the concept and how it works, not with working in said field (sometimes; I do get along with all kinds of people regardless), my lack of an outgoing personality (most of the time) and post-education, College, regardless, always remains my top priority, especially since it's the gateway to a successful career (depending on what degree you choose, of course). However, as I mentioned before, I'm afraid of giving up and being alone with no one to relate to, because I don't want to act like I don't do anything with my life and how everything is my fault. I have checked temp agencies, but most of them require degrees. And I do help my family in some instances such as bringing laundry, cleaning, etc. Even today, I helped some movers with some boxes and they were impressed. The boss even discussed how hard it is with no college degree since he didn't go to college. I just hope I can get there on time. There's only 2 months left. And even then, Plattsburgh did provide a "soft" reset to my time I've been unemployed.

18 minutes ago, Corbin said:

Well, college is still abound for August, so there's something to look forward to.

Hope this works out for you! It would do you good to gain some independence from your parents since they seem to be a major stressor in your life. Not necessarily anyone's fault, we don't choose our families and sometimes personalities clash so being around each other all day can be tough. Based on your previous posts I get the impression that everybody in your family is just talking at each other instead of listening to the other person's point of view so that would be very frustrating indeed and cause a lot of friction. 

However, as I mentioned before, I'm afraid of giving up and being alone with no one to relate to, because I don't want to act like I don't do anything with my life and how everything is my fault.

Being alone is scary at first but trust me, you get used to it rather quickly and after a while you will most likely meet some people you get along with. One nice thing about college is that people tend to be less judgmental than they are in high school and once you're in the work force it gets better still. Not that there aren't bullies and backstabbing idiots but most people are busy with their own lives so they mind their own business and the remaining bad apples are pretty easy to avoid as long as it's not your boss. 

The boss even discussed how hard it is with no college degree since he didn't go to college. I just hope I can get there on time. There's only 2 months left. And even then, Plattsburgh did provide a "soft" reset to my time I've been unemployed.

Sadly this is true. Many jobs really shouldn't require a degree from a skills standpoint, most things could easily be learned on the job... Used to be that an apprenticeship or associate degree would suffice until companies started demanding a bachelor degree for just about any job. 

Edited by lonelyforeigner