Sign in to follow this  
SailingSoul

Anyone else have chronic nightmares?

Even when I'm not anxious or thinking about something totally different I have nightmares.... 

Last night's mare was pretty scary...something charging at me and fast...  Another was very strange... a girl by a stream...her soul or whatever came out of her...it was somewhat glittery..very beautiful..and it was travelling...like just weird stuff. 

Thing is I'm usually watching happy cheerful things..I just don't understand why I have these nightmares... I don't get it ..it makes me afraid to sleep. 

Anyone else have these

I get them too and my doctor put me on prazosin for PTSD and it helps sort of with the nightmares, I still dream really vivid dreams but they are not nightmares. I hope you find something to help because sleep is really important. I don't know why I have them but the meds do help.

Edited by ColdFire

I normally never have nightmares, but my antidepressants make me have some crazy ass vivid dreams and nightmares. Lately they have been disrupting my sleep, but I've been taking some melatonin (5mg) each night and that seems to be helping a lot. I've read that some people take up to 10mg. 

I had a dream the other night that my therapist peaced out on me. I told her that at the end of last session and she said we should probably chat about that next session... uh oh :roll2:

I mostly don't remember my dreams but when I do I always seem to be having nightmares. Either someone following and trying to **** me, getting really sick (like teeth rotting or skin falling off), or getting publicly embarrassed. I suppose it's somehow related to me fear of people finding out what a gigantic loser I am, having to put up an act all the time and then in my dreams I get exposed or harmed. Dunno, I try not to read too much into it, it is rather annoying though. 

I get them too, they ain't fun. Sometimes it takes me like 10-20 minutes to calm down when I wake up.

i read a study that Alpha-1 blockers are used for them or something? I'd post a link , but I can't. Google alpha 1 blockers...

3 hours ago, Teddy545 said:

I guess I do, since I was little.  I don't really think they're a big deal.  It's kind of fun to look them up in dream dictionary's and see what they could mean psychologically.  Then I found this book that said if you tell yourself you don't want to remember your dreams your subconscious will listen. I don't remember my dreams anymore but sometimes I wake up with bad feelings so I must have had a nightmare. 

I should start saying that in addition with i don't wanna be depressed anymore lol

When I was in my early 20s I was plagued by nightmares almost every night.  It was terrifying.  It only stopped when I started to become lucid in the nightmares and would indentify them as merely dreams during the dreams. Then I would face them, and all the fear would go away. Then I stopped having them and haven't had them for many years.  I also haven't been lucid in dreams for many years. 

Edited by One More Red Nightmare

3 minutes ago, Blues2210 said:

When I'm in a very depressive episode I will have very vivid dreams and I tend to remember them better when I'm feeling down. I'm in an episode now and I had a nightmare this morning that woke me right up this morning. Not fun. 

Yeah this is probably happening because I'm depressed. I hope you're feeling better though.

Ive always had nightmares every since I was a child but now more so. To the point sometimes im afraid to go to sleep lol..but I heard nightmares can an indication of a good night rest because they usually always occur in the deepeat of rem sleep 

I have very strong vivid dreams nightmares and lucid dreams regularly always have. My therapist talks a lot about dreams and says that your subconscious  uses symbolism in dreams to communicate with your conscious self. We go through some of my dreams and sometimes I am quite amazed at what they reveal despite my initial skepticism.  For example I had a nightmare of a butcher shop selling dried up human parts to cabnibals (disturbing I know please don't judge me) I was terrified by it and basically she explained then the human pieces were symbolic of feeling like my soul had been severed and out apart into pieces and I was horrified in the dream trying to stop if because I'm trying to heal my soul and make it whole again.  

I use my dreams for inspiration to write. They are always little trips into horrific insanity. Once I woke up to find myself screaming rage at my then-wife. She was terrified. I didn't get much writing out of that one actually, but I did get her p***** at me for a solid week.

16 hours ago, lonelyforeigner said:

I mostly don't remember my dreams but when I do I always seem to be having nightmares. Either someone following and trying to **** me, getting really sick (like teeth rotting or skin falling off), or getting publicly embarrassed. I suppose it's somehow related to me fear of people finding out what a gigantic loser I am, having to put up an act all the time and then in my dreams I get exposed or harmed. Dunno, I try not to read too much into it, it is rather annoying though. 

I get those too where in my dreams my teeth are really loose and I start pulling them out one by one. I wonder what those kinds of dreams mean.

Google shows this as a result for dreams about loose teeth:

Dreaming of loose teeth indicate that you may feel unsettled or unsure about what to do regarding an important matter in your waking life. This dream symbol typically represents a state of instability or indecisiveness.

51 minutes ago, chris8088 said:

Google shows this as a result for dreams about loose teeth:

Dreaming of loose teeth indicate that you may feel unsettled or unsure about what to do regarding an important matter in your waking life. This dream symbol typically represents a state of instability or indecisiveness.

Makes sense! 

The other two common themes I have, not as scary though, are the brakes failing while driving or bathroom flooding (toilet or shower overflowing and being unable to shut off the water). 

i'm not sure how accurate this is but I looked up the brakes failing and a couple of things say that it's an area of life careening out of control.

I had nightmares about my narcissistic abuser. I never knew what to expect with her and I kept dreaming about her. I think I was trying to work it out in my mind. I spent about 8 months with recurring dreams about this person. The dreams are a lot less in frequency now though.

Yeah... the thing is they're not such a big thing when reality is worse. I find getting killed by a traitor legion or something ****ed up a level of satisfying over reality. At worst some bulls*** (forced no fight back) until dawn glass powder tea party hanging off a sky crane with dark creatures flying around full on ********  happens and I wake up (I call bulls*** through the whole experience). (at times) I get to live the life (my purpose), in the universe befitting, dying horribly for the grand cause I believe in. Waking up to this reality of perpetual INFJ torture pi**es me off on whole other level.

7 hours ago, Teddy545 said:

I used to have these dreams where my breaks didn't work when I was impulsive. 

I had a dream where my narcissistic grandmother was possessed by a demon.  I have lots of dreams about her doing mean things to me.  Dreaming about someone you know is a symbol of part of your personality but I'm pretty sure these dreams are about her. 

Yeah, dreaming about a narcissist is normal, I think. The subconscious is probably trying to work out the narcissist's "strange" behavior. I'll never understand a narcissists need for supply and what they really get out of putting other people down. I'm just not wired that way. (Though sometime it would be nice to be more like them.)

On 6/8/2017 at 3:06 AM, ColdFire said:

(((((Sober4Life)))))

Thank you.  It's basically my addict brain trying to draw me back to drinking.  It tries everything it can to bring me back.  It's sad when your brain is willing to put itself through misery to get relief.  Alcohol isn't relief it's poison that is trying to **** me and destroy my life.