What do you like to do on Memorial Day Weekend?

cariv

I generally don't do anything on Memorial day weekend except go to my mom's grave and leave flowers, but this year we have made the whole weekend about my daughter's birthday (which is the 29th), because she is 15 and deserves a little pampering.  I have been feeling pretty good for a change and it's been fun so far (although pretty hot here in Oregon).  So what do you like to do on Memorial Day weekend to have fun?

My knee jerk reaction to holidays is dread:  I just want to get "through" them to the other side.  Its a psychological thing.  I like to be good to my brain though so I am trying to have fun.  So far so good. 

Yeah.  I see. To be down around all holidays it seems.  I worked today.  My 13 year old son is with his mom.  Nor.ally I would be picking him up after school now.  School is out.  And my routine is messed up.  Probably why I am in a funk.  

14 minutes ago, Epictetus said:

My knee jerk reaction to holidays is dread:  I just want to get "through" them to the other side.  Its a psychological thing.  I like to be good to my brain though so I am trying to have fun.  So far so good. 

A part of me is the same as you.  Want it to pass and get back to normal days.  I prefer to spend it with family/friends but in small doses.  This year I got stuck working all weekend including Monday.  Good money but in the same sense I feel sorta lonely and empty.  I see all the posts on Facebook about what everyone is doing and can't help but feel some jealousy. 

Visit graves to pay respects (aka a version of "press F to pay respects" in real life) and eat a good meal. As you can see it is a no fun zone, but I get my service jollies from doing it. Thought for the day: "Remember us [the fallen]. The rest is up to you."

Edited by Going_it_Alonne

I was gonna make a thread about this. But will share it here. In 2010 i deployed to mosul, iraq. I was artillery, but while deployed i had an infantry mission. Mainly providing security for vips and construction projects.  I lost alot. I guess being a soldier, your just programmed to take the nonsense. I was part of more ramp ceremonies than i care to remember. When i came back, 2 days later cpt cassidy died. He was probably the only one that seemed to actually care about me. Danger dave lost an arm. One soldier that served under me got busted for drugs. Another soldier that i served in my section, who i spent a lot of time looking out for, committed suicide a couple years ago. The last person i have seen that deployed with me, i saw in my first drug program. So sad. Sad that the bravest people i ever knew, didnt make it, or are suffering. Some days are tough, but every memorial day, i take time out to remember them. Not an easy day for me. 

I ended up spending 2 hours of the 3 days outside my house. It was bad all the way around.

May 28th was a bad anniversary for me. The 40th anniversary of the largest supper club fire in the country - happened in my neighborhood when I was 16, and my whole community was involved. It affected me for years.

I did some research about Memorial Day and its origins.  Several family members were in the services, but none were lost recently. I had a family member, though, who was taken prisoner during the Civil War and held at Andersonville Prison - an internment camp and one of the really blatant abuses in our military history - and he died there after 6 years in captivity.  I vowed to include his story in the book I'm writing. It's on river history, but it weaves in that side of family history, as well. 

In general I don't like holidays because they upset the usual and predictable course of events in life. I did go to my grandfather's grave (WWII vet) and pay respects. Really, I need to go hang out there more often. Cemeteries are very comforting places to me.

Thank you Glfinding for sharing and for your service, it brings home the meaning of the holiday.  My daughter is in the JROTC program at her high school and they spend the day putting flags on all the veterans graves at the local cemeteries and I like to go and see all the kids paying respect to all the service men and women.  I also went and put flowers on my mom's grave, she died 3 years ago at the age of 58.