Need to Call My Pdoc

Shadows22

I have to call my pdoc tomorrow. He's going out of town for a couple weeks, so hopefully he hasn't left yet. I need to get another med on board. My anxiety has been through the roof for weeks now and my depression has been getting steadily worse for months. We'd tried increasingly my buspar,  but it made me too tired and I was still anxious.  I'm thinking an antidepressant that also helps with anxiety, there's been success with things of that nature in the past. Of course there's always the worry of dealing with side effects....But, I can't live like this...missing work...struggling to function....constantly anxious and feeling defeated....there's no way I can move forward in this current state

This sounds really hard.

It's my understanding that certain SSRIs can handle depression and anxiety. It could be worth asking about. Do you see a psychologist and psychiatrist? The side effects might be bad, but are they as bad as the anxiety or depression themselves?

I do see both a psychiatrist and psychologist and have for years. For a while now I'd been on the same med combo and it was working pretty well so I didn't want to mess with the mix. However, at this point I know something needs to be done and I'll just have to risk dealing with the side effects should they arise. 

Thanks for your response

I'm glad you found some success with your current combination for a time at least.

I wonder what changed? Were there any changes or stressors in your life? Or maybe a something minor that built up?

Hopefully you can find a new combination that works for you. It's great that you're taking this step to change your situation. Hoping you find some relief soon.

I called my pdoc and left a message on his receptionist's voicemail and also his nurse's voicemail.... No response today, so I'll have to call again tomorrow :( .

I live with my mother who creates an extremely stressful and negative environment.  My grandmother was in the hospital a few months ago and since then my mother's "crazy" has gotten worse.  That's definitely the key issue as to what's dragging me down.

I've tried varying things to deal with the stress (all things that were discussed between my therapist and I).....even increasing my ativan a bit due to the increased anxiety....But, I know with all that's happening there needs to be a major change.  I'm in a pretty bad place and it's not going to get better without intervention (in fact I've been getting steadily worse for months hoping that the things I was doing would pull me back up).  I plan on moving in with my brother in August (he's in another state), but with the way I am now there's no way I'll be able to handle all that will go into the move.  So, I undoubtedly need to get more stable.

I got a hold of my pdoc today.  He's increasing my mood stabilizer as he feels it will help with my anxiety and subsequently the depression.  I'm so glad I caught him before he went out of town!  Thanks for all the support

Glad to hear it!

It sounds like you have a good idea of what you need to change--your environment! I imagine that without the constant negative interactions with your mom, you'd have a good deal more reserves to handle your own mental health (of course, a change in the environment doesn't mean everything would suddenly get better, but it might create the right space to get better).

Sounds like your mom would benefit from seeing a therapist, too, but sometimes people react poorly to hearing that kind of thing. 

Thanks.  Yes, getting out of this environment will make a significant difference.  It's a dead end here. Ive tried for years to get my mother to see a therapist.  She denies that things are as bad as they are, which at this point is scary.  I had dragged her with me to my therapist a few times because I told her I simply can't live this way. She was given the name of a therapist and hasn't called her.... it's frustrating to say the least. But, just more justification for leaving (not that I needed anymore).

I really appreciate your support!