Seriously depressed because I can't find a job

squeakels

I just don't know what to do anymore I have worked my whole life consistently.  Because of some bad things that have happened starting in 2012 I haven't had very stable employment.  When we moved back here I had such horrible anxiety and quit several jobs because I did not want to live here. Now I have accepted living here and can't find a job!  I can't take this sitting around all day on the internet, I just want to sleep to pass the time in hopes that i'll have a voice mail when I wake up about a job.

I'm sorry to hear how you're feeling. At the end of the day, you have done your best dealing with life the best way you can, that may not seem like much, but sometimes just existing is heroism in action. Eroism is feeling the fear and doing anyway in my understanding, so try to cut yourself some slack. The job will come when you're ready.

I have an interview tomorrow and i'm not even happy about it.  It's some kind of customer service which means i'll probably be on the phone all day.  I know the pay will not be what I used to make.  I have brought all this on myself with my anxiety of moving here and not wanting to be here I quit a lot of good jobs and now i'm paying the price.  Any advice?  I worked so hard getting to where I was in my career without a college degree and I've ruined everything.

Edited by squeakels

Right - don't throw the interview no matter how much you may think the job is unsuitable. See it as being much needed practise. If you do get offered the job, remember the old saying "Its easier to get a job whilst in a job".

If you hate the job, give it 6 months and you'll be at the time when companies are looking for new employees i.e. the new year.

You are catastrophising at this point. See this as a signal that someone liked what they saw in your CV. Fair dues dude!! Now make like Duke Nukem and kick a$$

And ffs dude - Do NOT undersell yourself. You might be desperate but you're not a chimp i.e. you need more than peanuts :-)

I hope you are listening to some kick-a$$ choonage ... Mastodon's "Blood and Thunder" would suffice

And finally ... click on the link to be a DOG :roll2:

I'll say an Agnostic's Prayer for ya tomorrow.

Edited by StoniumFrog

3 minutes ago, squeakels said:

Only problem is, I am afraid I won't be able to do the job.  I never used to be like this, lacking confidence....I have to make it work I can't lose another job.

It's really hard to regain confidence once you've been down in the dumps. If you get the position keep reminding yourself that it takes time to learn the ropes when starting a new job.

Every time I started new work or got promoted I got a major case of "impostor syndrome" and would worry myself sick thinking I couldn't do it and soon everybody would realize that I am just a fraud. If you google "impostor syndrome" you'll find that it pretty normal, even otherwise healthy and successful people go through this (though to a lesser extent), they just don't talk about it and keep their insecurities to themselves so to us it seems like they have it all under control...

You'll do fine, just don't overthink it. Now go get them! :-)

I know the feeling trying to find a job and how it makes you feel but remember that people can read that sadness when they interview you so.........................

It is really hard to be upbeat when you have been knocked down for so long but think of a really good time you had or a funny situation you were in just before you go in for that interview and it will reflect better than if you go in thinking that they probably won't hire you anyways.

Keep your head up and keep trying and things will come your way.

@squeakels - Sorry to hear that news. It is both heartbreaking and frustrating.But this is why we are all here - we are here to support you and to help you eventually succeed. Write today off as a loss and hit the ground running tomorrow.

First thing to do will be painful but needed to be done - Get constructive feedback from both interviews. It will be arkward asking for it but its needed to be done.

Secondly, act on the feedback. If there are things, like mannerisms showing in the interviews, do something about them.

Job hunting is a torturous process which can wear the most optimistic of us down. I've no doubt you're probably angry/sad/pi$$ed off at this point but if there is anything we can do to help, let us know.