Sign in to follow this  
Epictetus

Something you should toss out but never do

Remote control for some piece of electronics I don't have any more [don't even know what it was in fact].  Do you have anything like that that you keep for no good reason?

I used to have a LOT of stuff in the past and then ended up having to sell/throw out everything I owned when I got evicted from my apartment 5 years ago. Ever since I have grown accustomed to a spartan lifestyle, I no longer hold on to things I don't need and don't even bother to decorate my apartment (like no rugs, no pictures, no lampshades, no trinkets or anything). Most brutal realization was just how little value my priced possessions had, selling anything other than high-priced electronics and jewelry is nearly impossible or just not worth the effort. I must have had tens of thousands worth of stuff but the only things I could sell were fairly new electronics, watches, and a Persian rug. At least some neighbors had fun rifling through my belongings but it was heartbreaking to watch. Through this experience I've learned not to get attached to things in the first place and honestly, not having much can even provide you with a sense of independence, I could pack 2 suitcases tomorrow and go to somewhere far away without missing anything in the slightest.

Not sure that this is healthy though since it also means home doesn't feel like home, it's just like staying in a hotel with no personal attachment to anything that's there. 

Edited by lonelyforeigner

Spartan sounds great to me.  I'm a pack rat and the stuff sometimes gives me a headache.  I live in a small place and part of me would love for it to be one of those "House and Garden" places or even more so . . . something Zen.  Just too much stuff to even "hide away" to give the appearance of simplicity.  Part of me is happy to be a pack rat since one of my parents had OCD and our house was like the Museum of Modern Art:  clear and serene but kind of cold and sterile.   

@Epictetus, spartan definitely has its advantages. My grandfather was a huge pack-rat and in the last year of his life it was just painful to watch him cling to his physical belongings. At times he seemed more worried about losing everything than he was about death itself. 

We get so attached to our belongings that they end up defining us and the second something bad happens (like an eviction, break-in, or fire) we end up in a huge crisis when really we should be happy just to be alive. I'm also fascinated by the tiny-house movement, it's amazing how some people can manage to live in a TINY space and still make it feel home so I think the secret is just radically downsizing. Perhaps you could try to start putting stuff you don't regularly use in storage just to see how it feels? Then if after a year you don't miss them you can get rid of them. Would be a soft approach to test the waters :)

All my cds and most of my books. Most of the music I listen to nowadays is either streamed or on vinyl(could give up vinyl too). Books.. I'd keep a few around but the rest can be picked up at the local library or downloaded onto a Kindle -reader or whatever.

Perhaps I will get rid of EVERYTHING one day.

I have tons of stuff, much are useless packed away things from the past but about half are still practical to me. Even when I moved to a new country, I took the "most important" belongings with me. I never find them useless though, it's just a way to avoid buying new stuff I anyway need in my everyday life f.e. kitchen supplies.

I'm a pack rat as well. I have these big Rubbermaid containers that are chock full of old car advertising. I've been collecting since I was about 9. I live in a two bedroom apartment. One of the rooms is full of those containers. I do look at the stuff from time to time, just for the sake of nostalgia. I had so much optimism back in the day of the 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix. I was going to grow up and be like the dashing, successful dudes next to the flashy cars in the ads. I can almost conjure that feeling again while looking at them, but then my 57 year old self intervenes and tells me to go do dishes or something.

Edited by JD4010

So many things.  Its like I have n amount of storage space but n x 3 amount of stuff.  So the stuff cannot be put out of sight even if company were to come over.  A bigger place would solve it.  Disposing of 2/3 of it would solve it.  A rented storage shed would solve it.  I feel that when people come over [which is rare] my dwelling looks like a a rat's nest.  I know that cognitive therapy teaches that one is not one's domain, but culturally one's domain reflects oneself.  Why do I care?  I've known lots of people who live in "rat's nests" because their possessions exceed the space needed to store it out of sight.  I don't judge them harshly for it.  But myself?   Sorry to vent.

Edited by Epictetus

50 minutes ago, Epictetus said:

So many things.  Its like I have n amount of storage space but n x 3 amount of stuff.  So the stuff cannot be put out of sight even if company were to come over.  A bigger place would solve it.  Disposing of 2/3 of it would solve it.  A rented storage shed would solve it.  I feel that when people come over [which is rare] my dwelling looks like a a rat's nest.  I know that cognitive therapy teaches that one is not one's domain, but culturally one's domain reflects oneself.  Why do I care?  I've known lots of people who live in "rat's nests" because their possessions exceed the space needed to store it out of sight.  I don't judge them harshly for it.  But myself?   Sorry to vent.

For me display solves some of it :) My book and DVD collection are beautiful and organized and I love them in my apartment. I live next door to a library and do rent, but I like having my own books. I hate ebooks (and etextbooks :coopcray:) and enjoy rereading my favorite books and marking passages. The only thing I can think of is my collection of empty pill bottles, a few hospital bracelets, and all the other things people look at me weirdly for having. (Edited because it was too personal) They are either part of an art project or will be part of a future one so I don't care.

Edited by LouisRiel

On 5/8/2017 at 2:22 PM, Natasha1 said:

CDs and records. Oh and cassette tapes.

At least records are making a comeback so they do have some value. But tapes... perhaps you can use them as an emergency rope :)

Edited by lonelyforeigner

Sign in to follow this