sapphirerose

Do you ever wish you lived in a different time/era?

Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2017 at 2:38 PM, sapphirerose said:

I've been feeling down lately about the world I currently live in and the way things are today. I'm in my early twenties, but part of me truly hates all the technology that surrounds us and how everything is accessible to us at the click of a button. Though I do use social media, I despise it and the way it has changed everything and everyone. I guess I wish I could experience life at my age in the late 70s, 80s or early 90s.

For example, yesterday at work I was on tea break with two of my coworkers. We got to the break room, they both pulled out their phones and sat there looking at their screens for almost the entire time, scrolling and not speaking. Sure, they can do whatever they want on their break, but the whole thing just saddens me in general. I find it rude when you're sitting with people and they'd rather look down at their screens as opposed to having a simple chat. I didn't speak to them either, as there was no point. Any attempt from me to make conversation would've been acknowledged for a mere second, then not reciprocated any further. I sat there thinking, 'wow... what has this world come to?'

I absolutely love older rock music (mostly from the 80s) and I always listen to it and imagine what it would've been like to live during that time. I also love going to watch small local bands at the bar with friends, as it feels like we've stepped back in time. No phones - just everyone enjoying the music and having a drink. A brilliant atmosphere that makes me feel like I can be myself. I know technology and social media hold many benefits (e.g. keeping in touch with friends/family), and I'm aware of them all. However, I just wish we weren't all so absorbed in it. Ugh.

I know what you mean!  While I enjoy a lot of the internet, (instant information, education stuff, access to wonderful videos, cheap movie streaming,) there's a lot I hate, (some of the other instant information, socal media, hate and trolls, and the fact that it put video stores out of business. I know it cost more than Netflix, but I freakin' loved my local Blockbuster! The only social media I don't hate really is the Depression Forums.) I had a hit of nostalgia for the 90s recently, and was just thinkng about how we'd memorized all our family and associates' telephone numbers, couldn't be accessed every moment of the day, and some things were a mystery. How we got excited about that older piece of pop or rock music on the radio because we couldn't just look it up on YouTube, so we rushed to record it with the cassette tape, or had to go and buy the actual CD. (Or cassette tape if you wanted to listen in the car, maybe.) But I guess times change, and the 90s weren't perfect, either, and I guess each era has great and terrible things about it.

Edited by MargotMontage

On 5/12/2017 at 9:38 AM, Imisshavingafamily said:

Hi Rose. I have also wanted to live in a different era. I've thought about what it could have been like in the 1800s. I feel like I could spend my days doing work that I enjoy (like chopping wood) and then spend the nights next to a comfy fireplace in my cabin in the woods. Life would be simple. 

I also read your post about your uncle, and I just want to say that I will not judge you for your feelings. I relate to it in a way where you see comfort in him. And safety. And simplicity. And we all long for comfort.

Wow, that's a beautiful idea! We all do long for comfort, and I'm sad that so few of us get it.

I guess the only problem would have been that you could have been born as a poor city person or something, such as you read about in Charles Dickens novels, but out in the country, this could definitely have been your life. Is there any way you could look at doing it now? Leaving to go live in the country and becoming a self-sufficient individual? I know that people do it. I'd do it if I wasn't so reliant on doctors right now. Maybe one day.

On 5/12/2017 at 9:45 AM, UhHello said:

I agree wiTh you 100%. You have no idea how lucky you are to not be sucked into your phone and technology along with your co workers.. later on in life they will regret it because they literally will not be able to survive without their stupid phone. Btw I love your taste in music. I also "kinda" wish I lived in a time when money wasn't the main goal in life. I wish I lived in an era, future or past, where the main purpose in life is to help the planet and focus on the survival of natures animals, instead of living in this era where the main purpose in life is to become filthy rich and famous without caring about who you hurt  or betray on the way to that "goal".. I hate humans so much sometimes

That would be awesome! I hate greed and waste. I mean, I like beautifiul and worthwhile things, but I think that it's wasteful to be filthy rich and spend thousands of dollars on a handbag or a tie or something when people are starving, and to drive around a private jet everywhere when some people can't even escape their own messed up countries. I wish humans would help one another and the planet, and then maybe there wouldn't be so many people who need Depression Forums so much. (The forums are a good thing, but I'm sad that so many people are suffering.)

On 5/12/2017 at 10:06 AM, lonelyforeigner said:

I occasionally romanticize the past, particularly the 50s and 60s because in my mind people were nicer to each other and people had more job security. I suppose it's movies that give me that illusion, when I look at history books life certainly didn't seem any better. There was the cold war which was way scarier than terrorism, social unrest, racial tensions, and while people may have had more job security they also had way less than we have today, if we downscaled we wouldn't be so stressed out either. Objectively speaking I don't think people were really nicer, they just hid their emotions better than we do today. That and in the past we didn't have as much information available so we simply wouldn't have heard a lot of the bad news that we hear about today. 

Things that seem better in other eras are mostly superficial because we haven't gone through the struggles that people went. Heck, just think about how mental illness used to be treated. It's stigmatized today but at least we don't get locked up in asylums anymore. 

Very true. The Cold War was horrific, (thinking about the Cuban Missile Crisis and all), and I'm thinking about how I would have been treated with my mental problem. Locked up, definitely. Probably electroshocked, or maybe given insulin shock therapy. Treated with older sorts of antipsychotics, so maybe coming out with parkinson's disease or something, (more stigma. Yay!) Horrifying. It's still not always good now, but at least there are options, information, and the ability to try and avoid doctors if that's your choice. I guess back then any deviation would have been noticed.

Still, the job security was way better, and I'm sure that not all the romanticized stuff is wrong. There must have been a lot of great things, too. And the fashion was fantastic. Everyone looked so smart!

On 5/12/2017 at 10:27 AM, sober4life said:

Yeah back in the 50s I would be the one that they locked away in the attic.

Makes me think of Jane Eyre. The bit where Jane finds out that her groom to be is already married, and locked his wife in the attic because she was 'insane' (although she may not have been until he locked her in there for years. It's up for debate.) I think that even if he hadn't already been secretly married, the fact he did that to another woman would have stopped me from ever going back to him after the other woman died.

53 minutes ago, MargotMontage said:

Makes me think of Jane Eyre. The bit where Jane finds out that her groom to be is already married, and locked his wife in the attic because she was 'insane' (although she may not have been until he locked her in there for years. It's up for debate.) I think that even if he hadn't already been secretly married, the fact he did that to another woman would have stopped me from ever going back to him after the other woman died.

Yeah that's the big question for me as well.  Was I crazy before or after I was locked away for years?  I'm a throwaway in this world.  I'll be used and abused and taken advantage of the whole time I'm in this world.

If we could trip through time, I could quite happily stumble and fall into late 18th century Paris. What would not be to like? Parasols and plumage and the golden age of millinery and the beginning of the end of the monarchy and tough men ruling the mean streets on penny farthings and the new romanticism that gave us J.M Turner and Keats and air as clean as open sewers might allow and the birth of a better social contract and more tolerance than what came later for open secrets and handwritten letters and the febrile excitement of revolution and ...probably a grim early death from tuberculosis. Oh well, can't have everything. 

Would also want wifi and all-day lipstick. 

On 5/3/2018 at 8:08 PM, LouisRiel said:

Hahaha hell no! I would rather throw myself in front of a firing squad than deal with the older racist, sexist, ageist, homophobic intolerant a holes of the past particularly in my family. Also despite my Catholic families ideals I am more than a walking womb and would hate to live in a time everyone thought that. 

And you know the whole lobotomy, pysch ward, ECT risk options. Also before the 60's we were still being displaced while hydro destroyed what was left of our tokens after they got rid of us, and I am only Metis.

This really is very good!

No, because gotten too used to present-day modern conveniences

1) past eras have less socioeconomic mobility. If you were born to a serf, educational opportunities are nonexistent, only manually laborious jobs are available and you'll die a serf. Only those born into the gentry classes get to live better

2) mental health was less understood. Imagine after disclosing you have depressive disorder, your family calls for an exorcist

Posted (edited)
On 1/4/2020 at 12:52 PM, sober4life said:

Yeah that's the big question for me as well.  Was I crazy before or after I was locked away for years?  I'm a throwaway in this world.  I'll be used and abused and taken advantage of the whole time I'm in this world.

:hugs:

Edited by MargotMontage

On 1/4/2020 at 11:15 PM, iWantRope said:

No, because gotten too used to present-day modern conveniences

1) past eras have less socioeconomic mobility. If you were born to a serf, educational opportunities are nonexistent, only manually laborious jobs are available and you'll die a serf. Only those born into the gentry classes get to live better

2) mental health was less understood. Imagine after disclosing you have depressive disorder, your family calls for an exorcist

You're right about that! While older eras had some perks, it depended so much on who you were born as, where, and who your parents were. Being poor would have probably sucked even more than it does now, and it sucks big time now!

Does it have to be in the past? If I were to pick an era, I'd opt for the distant future, when depression and mental illness in general may be curable. Hopefully such a time will come, though humans might have migrated out of their biological bodies and into some sort of other substrate -- whether a virtual universe or some form of natural existence. (The sci-fi notion of ascension comes to mind.)

Should humanity not survive (for whatever reason), that would also be a good era for me (that is, assuming I don't exist).

10 hours ago, anon22ae said:

Does it have to be in the past? If I were to pick an era, I'd opt for the distant future, when depression and mental illness in general may be curable. Hopefully such a time will come, though humans might have migrated out of their biological bodies and into some sort of other substrate -- whether a virtual universe or some form of natural existence. (The sci-fi notion of ascension comes to mind.)

Should humanity not survive (for whatever reason), that would also be a good era for me (that is, assuming I don't exist).

Now that is a fascinating answer. My ex and I used to talk about that. I always wanted to go back in time, she wanted to go into the future. I guess my answer shows pessimism about humanity's future.  I remember thinking about how cool the future might/could be when I was younger. I read a lot of sci fi (still do, actually) and the alternative futures fascinate me.

Posted (edited)

I think about this all the time. For the most part, my desire to live in a different era is entirely motivated by pop culture and fashion and aesthetics. I would like to have lived between 1950-1983. I would loved to have been a teen in the 60s and an adult in the 70s-early 80s. Besides not having as much interest in the later half of the decade, I hate the 80s politically and wouldn't want to live too far into them. 

I would be willing to have died at the age of 33 if it meant I could have experienced the 60s and 70s. I know, though, that if I were born the same person, only at a different time, I likely wouldn't have been any happier. I also would have hated contemporary pop culture, and wished it were the 1930s and 40s instead.

Sometimes I simply wished I was old enough to remember better what the world was like before the internet took it over. My family got online in 1999 when I was 10 years old. I barely recall what life was like before then. 

Edited by SqueezeWax

On 1/8/2020 at 8:06 AM, JD4010 said:

I always wanted to go back in time, she wanted to go into the future. I guess my answer shows pessimism about humanity's future.  I remember thinking about how cool the future might/could be when I was younger. I read a lot of sci fi (still do, actually) and the alternative futures fascinate me.

Yes, and there's also the idea of alternative presents, as in parallel universes. These might actually be real, given current physics theory (there are experiments planned to test this out).

Somehow that idea is helpful, mainly in the sense that maybe we're just living in the wrong timeline. There could well be alternate timelines where we're free of the problems plaguing us in this one. (If you've watched the Stargate series, you might have seen the episode(s) with the Alternate Reality Drive. We could definitely use it here, even if only to appreciate what's possible.)

6 hours ago, anon22ae said:

Yes, and there's also the idea of alternative presents, as in parallel universes. These might actually be real, given current physics theory (there are experiments planned to test this out).

Somehow that idea is helpful, mainly in the sense that maybe we're just living in the wrong timeline. There could well be alternate timelines where we're free of the problems plaguing us in this one. (If you've watched the Stargate series, you might have seen the episode(s) with the Alternate Reality Drive. We could definitely use it here, even if only to appreciate what's possible.)

Intriguing...which Stargate series was that? I haven't watched SG1 or Atlantis in years. I never caught on to SGU for some reason.

On 1/10/2020 at 11:19 AM, JD4010 said:

Intriguing...which Stargate series was that? I haven't watched SG1 or Atlantis in years. I never caught on to SGU for some reason.

The Alternate Reality Drive itself is from Atlantis. Here's one clip:

[video removed]

Stargate Atlantis - Alternate Reality Drive & Alternate Daedalus (S5E4) [Admiral Titan Channel, YouTube]

Independently, the same concept is used in some SG1 and SGU episodes as well. Strangely enough, most of the alternate realities tend to be worse, but I suppose it wouldn't be good for the plot if the characters wanted to stay instead of doing their best to get back to their own.

Edited by 20YearsandCounting
replace YouTube link with video title and channel

On 1/10/2020 at 9:19 AM, JD4010 said:

It's from Atlantis, but SG1 and SGU also have their own independent takes on the idea. (I replied with a video clip from Atlantis, but the post was marked as "Hidden" for some reason, so I've no idea if anyone but me is able to see it.)

Y'know, I'm a lot younger than y'all. I grew up in... well, the 2000s. That awkward time where for some reason people wore jeans under dresses and teachers were switching from projectors to promethean boards and hannah montana was on TV. As awkward as this transition was, it was fascinating to watch as in about a decade of my life, we went from flip phones to these amazing mini computers in our hands, as the world grew and changed to fit this new century. I love the modern day, honestly, at least the technologies and openness and acceptance of it (Such as mental health and sexuality).  I guess I'd go back and relive my childhood,.

Any farther back and i'm pretty sure I'd end up in an asylum- I mean, autism, depression, and being a female of color? Yikes.

14 hours ago, anon22ae said:

It's from Atlantis, but SG1 and SGU also have their own independent takes on the idea. (I replied with a video clip from Atlantis, but the post was marked as "Hidden" for some reason, so I've no idea if anyone but me is able to see it.)

Yeah, they don't allow links to videos or images in the forums because of potential triggers. You gave me enough info that I can go on Youtube and find it! 🙂 

13 hours ago, PraiseBrownies said:

Y'know, I'm a lot younger than y'all. I grew up in... well, the 2000s. That awkward time where for some reason people wore jeans under dresses and teachers were switching from projectors to promethean boards and hannah montana was on TV. As awkward as this transition was, it was fascinating to watch as in about a decade of my life, we went from flip phones to these amazing mini computers in our hands, as the world grew and changed to fit this new century. I love the modern day, honestly, at least the technologies and openness and acceptance of it (Such as mental health and sexuality).  I guess I'd go back and relive my childhood,.

Any farther back and i'm pretty sure I'd end up in an asylum- I mean, autism, depression, and being a female of color? Yikes.

You're my daughter's age then. I used to watch Hannah Montana with her. Hahaha. Also Wizards of Waverly Place. 🙂

My daughter is a person of color as well (adopted from India). She's also legally blind so society would have been tougher for her to navigate in earlier times as well.

I sometimes think about pushing the reset button on my life, say back to high school, and imagine what I would have done differently. Well, I wouldn't want to miss out on my daughter...she gives so much meaning to my life.

19 hours ago, PraiseBrownies said:

My sister wore the jeans-under-dress look in 2000-2001, and I could never grasp why she thought that was a good look. To her, there was no way to look hipper.

11 minutes ago, watalife said:

Yes , right now especially.  Or stopping  my dad from ever meeting my mom :talktohand:

Yeah I think of Back to the Future where Marty made sure his parents got together.  I would make sure they never met.  You wouldn't exist if that happened people would say.  Yeah and I never wanted to.  If my mom never met my dad she would have had a happy life so I would do it for sure!

5 hours ago, watalife said:

Yes , right now especially.  Or stopping  my dad from ever meeting my mom :talktohand:

If going to the future doesn't work out, that would've been my choice as well, at least if I had been a single child. I'm not sure about robbing my siblings of their lives, but then I suppose no one would've been the wiser if none of us existed.

I'm also wondering whether anyone here feels resentment towards their parents because they did get together. Of course, it's not their fault, but it's hard to be unselfish and reasonable about this.