sapphirerose

Do you ever wish you lived in a different time/era?

I've been feeling down lately about the world I currently live in and the way things are today. I'm in my early twenties, but part of me truly hates all the technology that surrounds us and how everything is accessible to us at the click of a button. Though I do use social media, I despise it and the way it has changed everything and everyone. I guess I wish I could experience life at my age in the late 70s, 80s or early 90s.

For example, yesterday at work I was on tea break with two of my coworkers. We got to the break room, they both pulled out their phones and sat there looking at their screens for almost the entire time, scrolling and not speaking. Sure, they can do whatever they want on their break, but the whole thing just saddens me in general. I find it rude when you're sitting with people and they'd rather look down at their screens as opposed to having a simple chat. I didn't speak to them either, as there was no point. Any attempt from me to make conversation would've been acknowledged for a mere second, then not reciprocated any further. I sat there thinking, 'wow... what has this world come to?'

I absolutely love older rock music (mostly from the 80s) and I always listen to it and imagine what it would've been like to live during that time. I also love going to watch small local bands at the bar with friends, as it feels like we've stepped back in time. No phones - just everyone enjoying the music and having a drink. A brilliant atmosphere that makes me feel like I can be myself. I know technology and social media hold many benefits (e.g. keeping in touch with friends/family), and I'm aware of them all. However, I just wish we weren't all so absorbed in it. Ugh.

Edited by sapphirerose

Hi Rose. I have also wanted to live in a different era. I've thought about what it could have been like in the 1800s. I feel like I could spend my days doing work that I enjoy (like chopping wood) and then spend the nights next to a comfy fireplace in my cabin in the woods. Life would be simple. 

I also read your post about your uncle, and I just want to say that I will not judge you for your feelings. I relate to it in a way where you see comfort in him. And safety. And simplicity. And we all long for comfort.

I agree wiTh you 100%. You have no idea how lucky you are to not be sucked into your phone and technology along with your co workers.. later on in life they will regret it because they literally will not be able to survive without their stupid phone. Btw I love your taste in music. I also "kinda" wish I lived in a time when money wasn't the main goal in life. I wish I lived in an era, future or past, where the main purpose in life is to help the planet and focus on the survival of natures animals, instead of living in this era where the main purpose in life is to become filthy rich and famous without caring about who you hurt  or betray on the way to that "goal".. I hate humans so much sometimes

Edited by UhHello

I occasionally romanticize the past, particularly the 50s and 60s because in my mind people were nicer to each other and people had more job security. I suppose it's movies that give me that illusion, when I look at history books life certainly didn't seem any better. There was the cold war which was way scarier than terrorism, social unrest, racial tensions, and while people may have had more job security they also had way less than we have today, if we downscaled we wouldn't be so stressed out either. Objectively speaking I don't think people were really nicer, they just hid their emotions better than we do today. That and in the past we didn't have as much information available so we simply wouldn't have heard a lot of the bad news that we hear about today. 

Things that seem better in other eras are mostly superficial because we haven't gone through the struggles that people went. Heck, just think about how mental illness used to be treated. It's stigmatized today but at least we don't get locked up in asylums anymore. 

4 minutes ago, sober4life said:

Yeah back in the 50s I would be the one that they locked away in the attic.

Yup, happened to my great uncle. My grandmother and her family fled from Eastern Europe during WW2 and were all traumatized. Her brother ended up being severely depressed and got locked away, doctors gave him strong meds that more or less turned him into a zombie whereas my grandmother ended up abusing alcohol and pills. No real therapy... Psychological issues just weren't talked about. Either people self-medicated or got locked away. 

Edited by lonelyforeigner

54 minutes ago, sober4life said:

Yeah back in the 50s I would be the one that they locked away in the attic.

I probably would be burned at the stake or imprisoned and deemed a communist in the 50s, in the 60s I think I could fit in and people would just right me off as a hippie. I don't know much about the 70's but I would not like the 80's or early 90's that's when people were at there s***test and there would be no technology to offset the s***ness factor. The 2000 sucked with the recession,911 and the worst president we had since Nixon who was still miles better than bush. So I guess I would want to live in the 2010's or the 60's if I had to pick.

Lol science guy. I agree with saphire all the way. The social structure of the world is pretty depressing. Its all about individualism and instagram. The fake gets glorified. I am a combat veteran, always fantasized what it wpuld be like with a sword amd shield rather than an m4 a1.

I think lonelyforeigner makes some very good points. Whenever I start romanticizing the past I think about the fact that one of my sons is gay and the other is engaged to a young woman of a different race. For their sakes I'm really glad it's now and not 100 years ago or even 50 years ago.

I wish I lived during World War 2 to get drafted; be a part of something and make a difference. If not, then at least do something interesting. Experience something.

Hahaha hell no! I would rather throw myself in front of a firing squad than deal with the older racist, sexist, ageist, homophobic intolerant a holes of the past particularly in my family. Also despite my Catholic families ideals I am more than a walking womb and would hate to live in a time everyone thought that. 

And you know the whole lobotomy, pysch ward, ECT risk options. Also before the 60's we were still being displaced while hydro destroyed what was left of our tokens after they got rid of us, and I am only Metis.

Edited by LouisRiel

31 minutes ago, LouisRiel said:

Hahaha hell no! I would rather throw myself in front of a firing squad than deal with the older racist, sexist, ageist, homophobic intolerant a holes of the past particularly in my family. Also despite my Catholic families ideals I am more than a walking womb and would hate to live in a time everyone thought that. 

And you know the whole lobotomy, pysch ward, ECT risk options. Also before the 60's we were still being displaced while hydro destroyed what was left of our tokens after they got rid of us, and I am only Metis.

hahaha soo much yess to this ! lol i think people think to fantasy like when they say they want to live in the older times . they dont think about how horrible it really was. if people fee like others dont care now people definitely didnt care back then. Mental illness awareness wasnt what it is today neither was other social issues 

I pretty much concur with @scienceguy. And most of the rest of you for that matter.

I have the warm fuzzies for 1977. I think of that as the year before my life started down the path towards sh!ttiness. I was probably happier during the summer of '77 than I've ever been, before or since.

The Vietnam war was behind us, civil rights were being promoted and people seemed to be much more upbeat.

Of course the majority of the humans on earth were suffering miserably in '77, just as they are now, But for me, it was a very good year.

Edited by JD4010

10 hours ago, LouisRiel said:

Totally with you!! I sometimes think how cool it would be to experience the 60’s and 70’s then I remember just how much racism I experienced as a mixed race child of the 80’s, I can only imagine that it would have been much worse back then! I know family that had to deal with some serious s**t!! Even though today it seems to be heading back full circle!! 

On 5/3/2018 at 3:51 PM, LeilaNadine said:

Totally with you!! I sometimes think how cool it would be to experience the 60’s and 70’s then I remember just how much racism I experienced as a mixed race child of the 80’s, I can only imagine that it would have been much worse back then! I know family that had to deal with some serious s**t!! Even though today it seems to be heading back full circle!! 

Yep.  As a member of the LGBT community, there's no way I'd want to go back.  

Posted (edited)

Yes and no, if only for the fact the 60s were my time of innocence.  But it was emotional hell for me being dragged around my narcissistic adopted mother and her incessant abuse, about which I was powerless to do a damn thing.  I'm grateful I at least had Dad and my stepmother to counter some of it, if only a few times a year.

When I came of age in the 70s, having narrowly escaped the draft, I also escaped NM's clutches and, with Dad's help, was able to pursue my dreams in recording engineering and broadcasting and reclaim some self-esteem, right into the 80s, though I had to remain closeted for the most part.

Then AIDS came and I started losing friends left and right...but then I also lost Dad in '85.  At least his carefully-planned legacy made it possible for me to realize many of my dreams in the 90s. 

After I got seriously ill in 2001 - progressing to AIDS myself - it's mostly been downhill.  And now I've lived only a few months longer than Dad did.  I feel completely lost in this uncharted territory at a time when I've particularly needed Dad's guidance (even 34 years on).  Now in my mid-60s, with no familial support and having lost so much of my health to exhaustion, I've largely lost the will to live.

I guess that's to say, my life has been so full of contradictions, I can't answer either way.

Edited by MarkintheDark

Things certainly seemed better in the 80s and  90s growing up.  It's been a lifetime of abuse but maybe I just became more bitter over time.  I got tired of being beat up by the world.  It's hard.  Were things different or was it just an illusion because different things were allowed to be on tv back then compared to now.  If I watch the tv of now it's filled with complete lies about the world.  It's nothing like they want us to believe and that's probably always been the case.  The truth is over my lifetime the world probably hasn't really changed much.  Years ago they would have put me away somewhere because of who I am.  Now all they have really done is come up with other reasons to put me away for who I am.

As a student of history. Uuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh.... now or the future is good enough (even if all the climate change burns me to a crisp and Trumponator robots eat me alive).

As a strange person. Late 15th century pls. Fashion is ok. Eyeglasses exist. Depression still sucks, but at least I have this new technology - hosen with a codpiece! Conjoined into... trousers!

Posted (edited)

I dream about different eras...what was life like for my ancestors 1000 years ago? 2000 years ago? It would have been disease ridden and full of dangers I'm sure. You were lucky to live to 40 back in those times.

1977 was my best year ever. I still had optimism and I had yet to discover alcohol. So set the WABAC machine (Bullwinkle reference) to 1977, please.

I see that I already answered above. Fortunately, 1977 popped up in both posts. 🙂

Edited by JD4010

Posted (edited)

I would love to live in the 1960s and 1970s, when people were less superficial compared to now. Life was simpler. I would accept having no Internet. Internet all over the place is a blessing and a curse. For me, however, it seems like a curse. 

Edited by Lundi_Hvalursson