Can a massage therapy help to overcome depression?

Can a massage therapy help to overcome depression? I'm under depression because of my 5th breakup. I thought this guy will be there with me for the rest of my life but he betrayed me. He and my best friend were cheating on my back. I wouldn't be in this state if he dated someone else. This has made me not to believe any of my friends which I know is a stupid thing. So I started to live alone in Toronto and avoided all my friends. I discussed this with my elder sister and she said everyone won't be the same and asked me to hangout with some of my friends. Also, she has scheduled an appointment from a clinic which offers massage therapy services in Toronto as she read in an article it's good to relieve all tension, stress, and depression. Does anyone here got massage therapy to overcome depression? Any suggestions are highly appreciated. Thanks!!

Hi,

I have been depressed for many years now. I go to therapy pretty regularly and take drugs for depression. That helps, but I am still depressed. Just recently (3 weeks ago) I started getting acupuncture & massage for depression. It does seem to help a little, but I have not been doing it long enough to really know. Even if it is not helping my depression, it is certainly helping my bad shoulder!

If you can afford it, I would recommend you give it a try. What do you have to lose? But it is quite expensive....

Ethan

• 4 years later...

Hi,

I have tried acupuncture and massage therapy. I honestly believe it takes many things to safely get out of depression. Getting massages will help especially if you workout your muscles as it will help them recover so you will get more from a massage if you are working your muscles.

I have been betrayed before as well. I think when dating try to find someone you have an emotional connection with. I would make new friends because you don't need back stabbing traitors like that in your life. It is up to you but that is what I would do.

I think for every part of your day try to have a mental health plan even if it is as simple as staying hydrated and listening to some good music. You suffered something very painful so the best thing you can do is be proactive for your mental health.

• 2 months later...