Sign in to follow this  
The_Catalyst

Just a fellow Newbie passing through.

You're doing it just right The_Catalyst!  Hi and welcome to the Forums!  I hope you will find this site as helpful as I have.  Depression and anxiety can be so awful; indescribably so.  I look forward to reading your posts here.  By the way, I like your avatar!   - epictetus

Hello! I also just joined. I am 25, work full time, no kids. My troubles are anxiety/panic disorder & I was diagnosed with depression at a young age. Not really sure where to start with this website but I hope to get some helpful advice. Thanks in advance!

@cactus_princess Hi there! It's nice to know there are other new members here too, especially of similar age. That's great that you work! I'm unemployed, which doesn't help with my depression. I've been a job seeker for 4 months now. 

I think it might help to find something specific to talk about. Maybe, I'm not sure. 

Hi @The_Catalyst!!! So nice to meet you. I'm also glad to see new members of similar age :) Good luck with your job search! I know that it can be so stressful looking for work but don't get discouraged. Working full time has helped keep my mind somewhat busy, away from my anxious thoughts. Right now I am semi-struggling with taking a new medication (Effexor XR) to combat the anxiety. Are you currently taking anything for your depression/anxiety, if you don't mind me asking?

Welcome to the forums!

It is great that you have chosen to take action on your own to combat the depression and anxiety. It shows your initiative and willingness to change, something that I know from experience is not an easy thing to decide at first. I hope that being on this forum ends up being a fruitful experience for you and that you get to learn a great many things in regards to combating depression.

I read in one of your replies that you are currently unemployed. Me to, so I can sort of understand the feelings behind that and how it has an effect on depression. What sort of things have you tried for your job search?

Is the market tough right now for your chosen field of occupation?

Have you tried of internships? Some companies still hire new graduate for internships if they prove to have the attitude for the job. It won't be something long-term, but it can help you get experience and new contacts to use later on for networking purposes in getting a full-time job.

Where I reside, it is honestly not the greatest thanks to a downturn in the economy. But as long as you know you are trying your absolute BEST in your job hunt and other aspects of life, you can't really ask for much more. You are doing all that you can on your end and that's all one can really do. In the end, I hope something works out for you as being unemployed is a major bummer. But I do find that if you can, find something to invest yourself in. Perhaps a new hobby, or a project using your current skills to potentially share with the rest of the world.

Again, welcome and I hope you enjoy your time here! :)

Welcome aboard, Catalyst! Nice to meet you, and I’m sure you’ll find a lot of help here. Depression is a very complex issue that deserves personal and in-depth attention. Are you seeing a therapist/counselor? Please feel free to share your concerns. I hope you’ll enjoy your stay here. Hugs!

@cactus_princess Thanks. I need the luck. It has been quite stressful in these past 4 months and evenmore so since my boyfriend and broke up yesterday. I am taking Vyvanse for my ADHD and BED, and Clonazapam for my General Anxiety Disorder. They have helped me quite a bit, not gonna lie. I am very careful with their usage because of the dangers associated with them. 

@Naitomea1224  Thank you so much. I've had experience with other depression forums, mostly eating disorder related, but it's been a hit or miss, depending on who the active users are. As for my job search, it's been all over the place. I'm a recent graduate with a B.S. in Chemical Engineering. There isn't a whole lot of Chem eng. available in my area, but I can branch out to other things that use my education. Finding an engineering internship as a college graduate is a lot harder than it would have been if I were still in college. These internships are highly competitive and reserved for students. I did luck out a few years back and worked as the lead laboratory technician for a cosmetic company, however, the company was so small, there wasn't really any way for me to advance, plus cosmetics wasn't my passion. I've tried Indeed.com, ziprecruiter, several other job seeking online databases, and even contacting some recruiting companies. I've also been trying to network as much as I can, reaching out to as many possible contacts as I could possibly find.

You're totally right about investing in oneself. I've taken up surfing lessons while I was dating my boyfriend. Things are kind of up in the air between us. I've also been working on self improvement as well. I want to become musically talented, but I've been lacking commitment and discipline in the past few months. 

@littlestarsmum It's nice to meet you too! I was seeing a therapist, but she became too costly. I tried an online therapist, but that backfired as well. Now I just focus on specific issues I have and focus on improving them. One of the things I struggle with the most is my self esteem. 

@The_Catalyst, oh yes the competition is savage at times whether it be for internships or jobs. I practically had to talk my way into an internships when no other company was hiring. Had to put on my special negotiation hat for that, I remember going to several meetings but managed to somehow secure one. Unfortunately it was an unpaid one and while it was really good experience, it was with a non-profit organization which many for-profit seemed to not like apparently.

If music is something you are lacking the drive for right now, consider taking up creative writing until you can build up your discipline for a bigger challenge. Music definitely takes more commitment on the part of the learner than creative writing does as you most likely already have all the necessary tools. Plus, who knows, maybe you might end up writing something that may someday get published for the public :).

I personally find creative writing to be a great creative facet. It also gives an opportunity to explore one's own imagination and escape reality for a while to de-stress.