Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
babypeanut

let's talk about pets!

Recommended Posts

even if you aren't owned by or a caregiver for, let's talk about & show off our very best friend! i was asked to note that due to bandwidth restrictions, it would be helpful if we kept pictures to a minimum. i'm excited to hear about everyone's pets, see a little bit, and talk about it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my two boys are named sid & gus. they were part of an abandoned litter of 5, whom my friend found outside of baltimore in august of 2010 when they were about 4 weeks old. that makes them 6 now, i gave them their birthdate of july 7th because i picked them up on feb. 7th of 2011.

the boys love to chase each other around & like to beat each other up a little past the play line. they are very fearful if a stranger or someone that's not me comes to the house, they immediately hide under the bed. sid is the friendlier of the 2, he will come out within a couple of min. to say hello, get petted & beg for treats. gussie usually comes out after a little longer, although sometimes not. they have something called pica which is more common in dogs, which is the urge to eat inedible things. they both love shoelaces & sponges. sid is very big on socks, gloves, towels, and hoodies. gus goes for things like twist ties & small decorative objects that are hard plastic & i think he won't eat. they both love pill, this is surprisingly common. i've had to take gus to the er twice, & induce vomiting in sid once. fortunately other than that they have no medical issues yet, although these days cats live quite long so they are barely middle aged.

they do like people once they're comfortable with them and can be affectionate and friendly if they feel like it. they are very food motivated which is helpful if i need to put them in a carrier. they are very competitive and whoever finishes eating first, the other one tries to get the others. they love most human food, will go crazy for salad. i'm very careful about what i allow them to eat though because some things are very toxic for cats &/or dogs. 

they do not like other cats, i don't know about dogs as they've never met one.i think they'd be scared though. i tried to foster a cat, it did not go well. i had to keep him in the bathroom the whole 3 months he was here, he was very friendly but the boys weren't having it. his name is mickey & an old roommate of mine ended up adopting him in february. he is very happy & spoiled & i saw him a couple of weeks ago when my friend went away for an overnight thing, i don't know if he actually remembered me but he was still the supersweet friendly & playful boy i remembered. i'll introduce you to mickey later, he is such a cutie.

so that's gus on the left, sid on the right. yes, they are 'holding paws'. they do love each other when they're not beating each other up :)

030_2 - Copy.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

here's mickey. i wanted to foster but all the rescues i'd spoken to needed a 'till adopted' commitment which i didn't want to give because i didn't know how it would go. i live in a studio apt. so there's no way to separate them except the bathroom. i finally found one that said she could accept a one week commitment so it was a go. i thought a female might be a better idea, i told her about one cat i really liked but she ended up grabbing mickey, mikey at the time, just over 1 year & not neutered. sigh. it didn't work out, the boys never accepted him. i would let him out occasionally so he could run around, climb, play, be a normal young boy. he would try to be friendly with the boys, they would ignore him. if he was out more than 1/2 hour or so, it got tense & i was afraid mickey would get hurt. i spent as much time with him in the bathroom as i could, & tried to make it as comfy as i could for him. he had been found wandering in a building, had been at the shelter for about a month & got a uri(upper respiratory infection). the majority of the time, when a cat or dog get a contagious illness at this & many other open admission shelters, they get put on the at risk list. mickey was on the list & his time was running out. the rescue lady said that if i hadn't come through she didn't think he would have made it. he is a true treasure & i'm so happy i was able to help him. here's a photo of him, that is his right paw you see there, he is polydactyl meaning he has extra toes. two on each front paw, so it's like he has 1 1/2 paws :) luckily, he is ok about getting his nails clipped, unlike my boys, who are overdue.

20170118_202411-1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love animals so much, but there has always been one that I couldn't seem to help hating and fearing:  the cockroach.  So to try to overcome this and learn some compassion I made a pet of a cockroach I found in my house.  His name is "Speedy" in honor of my pet rabbit who passed away. 

I keep my cockroach in an old aquarium.  At around 9 pm he come out into the open waiting for the drop of honey I feed him nightly.  Of course I am still a little bit scared of him [he's a big one].  I just put of drop of honey on a Q-Tip and feed him with that.  He lives on commercial cricket food and water plus any pesticide-free foods I can find.  When he molted he became pure white for a time and seemed like a "cockroach angel".  Although I have a pet cockroach, I am still scared of them in general.  My fear level has only dropped from 100 to 98.

I have a lot of daddy long legs spiders in my bathroom. No fear of them at all.    I learned they can live without food for a long time but need water every day.  So I give them a little spritz with some distilled water.  In the winter they disappear and I actually miss them. With Spring, hardly a day passes when one doesn't get trapped in the tub or sink or toilet.  I rescue them and usually they come back to life after they dry off, no worse for wear it seems.

Since losing my pat rat and rabbit, I am not ready yet for a "real" pet . . . one that you can "pet."  I like to feed birds and squirrels every day. Ducks too.  Sometimes I drop some breadcrumbs by an ant hill and watch them carry them off inside to the colony.  On the hottest days I wet a little piece of tissue and put it by the ant colony.  I learned that the ants can squeeze the water from it for hydration.  They seem to love it.

Animals fascinate me and I like to watch videos of animals from around the world.

Other than that, I try not a harm or **** any creature.  I watch my footsteps so I don't accidentally crush some poor creature moving beneath by feet.  I figure everyone was put here on earth without being asked first.  Everybody is just struggling to survive day to day.  So I don't want to crush some little being just because I am in too big a hurry to do some project that is important to me.

Strangely, when I am feeling bad or low or lonely, some animal usually appears.  Maybe it is just a coincidence.  I was feeling poorly on Easter and suddenly this big frog hopped in front of me.  I don't know . . . I felt cheered up by that.  This kind of thing happens a lot and "seems" providential or fateful. 

PS: Wont be posting photos of my bugs since they are scary and ugly to some people

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I love animals so much, but there has always been one that I couldn't seem to help hating and fearing:  the cockroach.  So to try to overcome this and learn some compassion I made a pet of a cockroach I found in my house.  His name is "Speedy" in honor of my pet rabbit who passed away. 

I keep my cockroach in an old aquarium.  At around 9 pm he come out into the open waiting for the drop of honey I feed him nightly.  Of course I am still a little bit scared of him [he's a big one].  I just put of drop of honey on a Q-Tip and feed him with that.  He lives on commercial cricket food and water plus any pesticide-free foods I can find.  When he molted he became pure white for a time and seemed like a "cockroach angel".  Although I have a pet cockroach, I am still scared of them in general.  My fear level has only dropped from 100 to 98.

I have a lot of daddy long legs spiders in my bathroom. No fear of them at all.    I learned they can live without food for a long time but need water every day.  So I give them a little spritz with some distilled water.  In the winter they disappear and I actually miss them. With Spring, hardly a day passes when one doesn't get trapped in the tub or sink or toilet.  I rescue them and usually they come back to life after they dry off, no worse for wear it seems.

Since losing my pat rat and rabbit, I am not ready yet for a "real" pet . . . one that you can "pet."  I like to feed birds and squirrels every day. Ducks too.  Sometimes I drop some breadcrumbs by an ant hill and watch them carry them off inside to the colony.  On the hottest days I wet a little piece of tissue and put it by the ant colony.  I learned that the ants can squeeze the water from it for hydration.  They seem to love it.

Animals fascinate me and I like to watch videos of animals from around the world.

Other than that, I try not a harm or **** any creature.  I watch my footsteps so I don't accidentally crush some poor creature moving beneath by feet.  I figure everyone was put here on earth without being asked first.  Everybody is just struggling to survive day to day.  So I don't want to crush some little being just because I am in too big a hurry to do some project that is important to me.

Strangely, when I am feeling bad or low or lonely, some animal usually appears.  Maybe it is just a coincidence.  I was feeling poorly on Easter and suddenly this big frog hopped in front of me.  I don't know . . . I felt cheered up by that.  This kind of thing happens a lot and "seems" providential or fateful. 

PS: Wont be posting photos of my bugs since they are scary and ugly to some people

wow, that's so beautiful, ahimsa is such a wonderful thing. i'm so sorry for your loss of family members, grief is one tough cookie. i'm glad you are running into unknown 'friends' in your travels, to keep you going :) in admiration of your not only facing but befriending your fear, i'm terrified of big roaches too even though it's irrations they are just scary looking. i actually would be interested in seeing what your albino friend looks like, if you want to pm? i really enjoyed your post, gave me a lot think about :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@JD4010 oh they are gorgeous! it's most likely ziva's a girl, i know you told me but i forget if tika is as well? also, how is the one with the uti doing? thank you so much for sharing those photos. sid wanted some lap time today, not too often for him & he'll only sit for 15-20 min, he's pretty long & i'm pretty short so it's not that cozy for him. gus won't do laps, he likes to be close or next to people, but is not a big snuggler, i really value any lap time i get :) humbly we serve right? pay all the bills & thank them for allowing us to live with them :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, babypeanut said:

@JD4010 oh they are gorgeous! it's most likely ziva's a girl, i know you told me but i forget if tika is as well? also, how is the one with the uti doing? thank you so much for sharing those photos. sid wanted some lap time today, not too often for him & he'll only sit for 15-20 min, he's pretty long & i'm pretty short so it's not that cozy for him. gus won't do laps, he likes to be close or next to people, but is not a big snuggler, i really value any lap time i get :) humbly we serve right? pay all the bills & thank them for allowing us to live with them :)

Ya, they both be girls. And Tika has the FLUTD. She's been doing great. She's on a prescription diet. They both eat wet food.  I need to buy them a cat water fountain this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

How are y'all inserting images? Can we post images from an image hosting site via link?

you can either use the bottom area to directly insert an image on your computer/device, or, you can insert a link by hitting the 5th button on top that looks like a slightly squished paper clip :)  if your screen name refers to the band, i got to see them a few times, they were fun. look forward to meeting your baby or babies!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Ya, they both be girls. And Tika has the FLUTD. She's been doing great. She's on a prescription diet. They both eat wet food.  I need to buy them a cat water fountain this weekend.

forgot to say, i'm on the 'wet food only' team & my boys love their fountain! i hope you find a nice fountain that's not too pricey, of course, we'll spend more on them :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2017 at 8:42 AM, babypeanut said:

my two boys are named sid & gus. they were part of an abandoned litter of 5, whom my friend found outside of baltimore in august of 2010 when they were about 4 weeks old. that makes them 6 now, i gave them their birthdate of july 7th because i picked them up on feb. 7th of 2011.

the boys love to chase each other around & like to beat each other up a little past the play line. they are very fearful if a stranger or someone that's not me comes to the house, they immediately hide under the bed. sid is the friendlier of the 2, he will come out within a couple of min. to say hello, get petted & beg for treats. gussie usually comes out after a little longer, although sometimes not. they have something called pica which is more common in dogs, which is the urge to eat inedible things. they both love shoelaces & sponges. sid is very big on socks, gloves, towels, and hoodies. gus goes for things like twist ties & small decorative objects that are hard plastic & i think he won't eat. they both love pill, this is surprisingly common. i've had to take gus to the er twice, & induce vomiting in sid once. fortunately other than that they have no medical issues yet, although these days cats live quite long so they are barely middle aged.

they do like people once they're comfortable with them and can be affectionate and friendly if they feel like it. they are very food motivated which is helpful if i need to put them in a carrier. they are very competitive and whoever finishes eating first, the other one tries to get the others. they love most human food, will go crazy for salad. i'm very careful about what i allow them to eat though because some things are very toxic for cats &/or dogs. 

they do not like other cats, i don't know about dogs as they've never met one.i think they'd be scared though. i tried to foster a cat, it did not go well. i had to keep him in the bathroom the whole 3 months he was here, he was very friendly but the boys weren't having it. his name is mickey & an old roommate of mine ended up adopting him in february. he is very happy & spoiled & i saw him a couple of weeks ago when my friend went away for an overnight thing, i don't know if he actually remembered me but he was still the supersweet friendly & playful boy i remembered. i'll introduce you to mickey later, he is such a cutie.

so that's gus on the left, sid on the right. yes, they are 'holding paws'. they do love each other when they're not beating each other up :)

030_2 - Copy.JPG

what a great picture!!  and look how many remotes they use!  LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@babypeanut awww thank you for starting this thread.

My kitty, Gus--we had him put to sleep last May after a long illness. I am still not ready for a new one. We got him from a shelter and I loved him a lot. He was my special kitty. My son called him Chubbz because he gained a lot of weight, but in his last year, he hardly kept food down and grew skinny again. 

When we first got Gus, he didn't seem to be able to purr or wash himself. I taught him how. I was so depressed at the time, I'd take my son to school and then curl up on a couch or my bed to sleep again and Gus would jump on me and start purring.

I think he saved my life that autumn.

 

 

58fb9badec0a4_Chubbzonacomfybed..thumb.jpg.2eaab059b33a430d2113c19122ead540.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm so sorry for your loss, your gus was a very handsome gentleman. i'm glad to hear you adpted him,  so many wonderful pets are in shelters, you found your best friend at one. you'll know when the time is right to find a new one. funny, one of my 'stepsons' asked if i was dating. i looked him straight in the eye & said **** no! it's so important that we do things when we're ready, not before. again, gus was a really beautiful boy that i'm sure in the usual feline way was extremely happy for the good life you provided . thank you for sharing him here :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Fri Apr 21 2017 at 7:04 PM, Lunachick said:

How are y'all inserting images? Can we post images from an image hosting site via link?

You need to post them to your gallery and then link them here. Nothing external.

Edit: Checking into this now as i see the functionality has been brought back.

 

Edited by Natasha1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:) no worries im looking into it. I KNOW that pics from sites is a no and i remove those. But id carry on as usual for now and ill let yiu guys know. :) its probs fine since the functionality is right there.

And can i say...these pets are so cuuuuuuuuuuute!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is Kiki Kenobi, my fiance and I have had her for nearly 3 years now, I think. 

Shes a rescue, poor thing was severely neglected and abused as a young pup, shes got some major trust issues but we have been working in it.

She is a chihuahua jack russel mix ( jackahuahua ) 

 

It breaks my heart that people dont get to see the dog that we do, she comes off as highly aggressive, other than the very few people we have come across that she hasnt even reacted to.

She's the sweetest little thing I have ever seen, and Im so happy we have her.

20170331_184216.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...