Sign in to follow this  
SpiralingMind

Would you like you, if you met you?

What a wonderful question.

If I met myself there would be things I like about me and things I wouldn't like. 

Because of my attitude towards life though, the parts of me I wouldn't like would not cause me to hate myself as such things might have during my past years.  Nowadays I would feel sorry for me rather angry at me, if that makes any sense.

I believe in free will but tend to think it is extremely limited and that bringing full knowledge and full consent to actions is a lot rarer than many people think.  That is maybe why I would not hate myself when looking at my negative traits and actions.  ???

This is such an interesting topic. I thought long and hard on it too.  I came to the conclusion that if I met myself I would not like myself. I am not so genuine when meeting people because of social anxiety so I would pick up on that right away . I would pick up on the nervousness and the oddness.   I would also just feel sad if I met myself like "Wow, you are a really really sad person, in a lot of emotional pain."   I don't wish to meet myself. I am tired of myself as it is. 

I'm painfully shy, even standoffish, with people I don't know. Rarely I'll meet someone so warm and friendly that I'll be instantly comfortable with them. I'm not sure I'd be warm enough to myself to put the wall down, so I would probably not speak much to myself. Which means I might never know how witty I can be, and miss an opportunity to make a friend.

Unlikely. I wouldn't give the other me a chance to get to know this me...or did I get my selves mixed up? Anyway, that's a shame, because if you strip away the layers of mental illness, there's an interesting and funny person in there, or at least there used to be.

This thread made me realize something: when I see someone who has features or attributes that I also have, I will recognize things that remind me of what I don't like about myself. It's hard to explain. I guess it's a little like looking in the mirror and saying "jeez, I hate my big nose". It's probably a form of projection.

Edited by JD4010

7 hours ago, JD4010 said:

This thread made me realize something: when I see someone who has features or attributes that I also have, I will recognize things that remind me of what I don't like about myself. It's hard to explain. I guess it's a little like looking in the mirror and saying "jeez, I hate my big nose". It's probably a form of projection.

You're not alone in doing this, JD.

I am fairly sure I would but only if I met myself when I was having a good day :smile: we could waffle on about history for hours, share interesting facts, go climbing together, the fun would be endless. 

Edited by hocico

I've thought about this question a lot before. Also, it's been on my mind recently because I have been watching a lot of a sci-fi show with a similar, though not same, concept. I guess it would depend on whether it was me from another universe, or the same universe? Am I an exact copy of the me I am meeting, or is it a me separated in time (older / younger self). I'd love to give advice to my younger self, for example, or talk to my older self and see if I will eventually figure things out. If it's the copy scenario, then I'm sure we could at least find a way to help each other out (i.e, sharing workload or other responsibilities). Not sure we'd be very exciting company for each other since we'd basically be the same person and already know what each other would think, say, etc. Maybe I could sing in harmony with myself. That would be cool. :)

Sign in to follow this