I haven't exercised properly in weeks.

I am ashamed to admit that I haven't exercised properly in many weeks. I haven't set foot in the gym for so long. I feel terrible about this and don't know how to get back into it again. I'm not overweight, but I know I'm losing muscle tone and things like that. I just simply really dislike exercising (especially in front of people). I am paying for a gym membership and I don't even use it - so pathetic.

I shouldn't make any excuses, but I really have been busy with university classes and projects, as well as part-time work, and doing house chores around my flat, as I live on my own. I just keep putting off going to the gym, or even doing ANY kind of exercise (such as a 15 minute walk). In the past when I've exercised, I felt like I was wasting my time as I could've been working more on my university projects during those work-out sessions.

I've always felt so anxious going into any gym. I always think people must be looking at me, thinking about how un-toned I look, compared to the many other girls who walk around in their crop tops with perfectly toned bodies and not an inch of fat on them. 

Try not to beat yourself up about it. I too have a gym membership and there have been months where I've hardly gone if at all. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate too. Why not start off with a small goal, like going once a week? Even a short workout can do some good. Working out could actually help you with your other responsibilities, because it can give you more energy and stamina. If you think about it that way, maybe it won't feel like such a waste of time. 

I'm fortunate that going to the gym doesn't give me much anxiety compared to a lot of other things (because I don't have to talk to anyone). I'm sorry it makes you anxious. The only advice I can offer is maybe the more you go, the easier it will get?

Same here, haven't stepped foot in a gym for over a month.  Ive pretty much been a couch potatoe this whole time.  I'm lacking motivation to go.  Your not alone, lots of us out there.  I'm a guy, but still feel very insecure about going to the gym to lift weights.  I always compare myself to other guys half my age that are totally muscle bound with zero fat.  Knowing I'll never look like them, it causes me to get discouraged.  Do you have a friend or workout buddy that might motivate you to go?  I find that helps to get there and hold you accountable.

What I do when I regress in my exercise habit, is fight the urge to do nothing and tell myself that all I have to do is walk around the track. 5 minutes. Or ride the exercise bike for 5 minutes. Then increase it by a minute a day. So start with a little bit to get yourself back in the habit.

My guess is that all of those toned people in their crop tops have other anxieties that paralyze them in different ways.

high-fiving you @sapphirerose

I'm starting to think and believe (because I think it so much) that everyone is insecure in their own way, in their own little world.

Like Dolphin said and nailed it " all of those toned people in their crop tops have other anxieties that paralyze them in different ways"  <-that is so true.

You may have a feature some may girl may like, nose, hair, eyes, whatever.

I recently met a fitness model at a bar, we were talking and she said she thought her nose was too big, I couldn't believe it because it looked perfectly fine.

She was actually considering a nose job.. blew my mind.  Again, Dolphin is right about people having paralyzing anxieties that we don't really know about or see.

I have a few myself, so I force myself to look at people that way to "normalize" my surroundings for myself.

I haven't been to the gym in 6 years and went for the first time 3 weeks ago.  I remember one day as I drove up, I had this heavy feeling in my stomach, but I told myself, beat this feeling, go in, **** it and you'll break the barrier.  So I did for 2 weeks straight, stopped about a week and a half ago after a session with my therapist - just felt like crap.  But I feel it's a victory for me because in the 2 weeks, my body started feeling tighter and looked better than before.  

But I hope to go tomorrow.... you should do the same, gohit the gym, you'll feel better.   

Edited by WhyAreWeHere

Actually went to the gym tonight after a month of couch surfing.  Although my strength has really fallen off, it still felt good when I was done.  I always get great mental clarity right after lifting weights.  Feels great but only seems to last for about an hour, then back to the foggy brain syndrome.  Wish it would stay like that all day long.

I work at a community center which has great fitness amenities: cardio & weight machines, pool, gym, indoor track, free weight room and classes and personal trainers.

And this week, I went to my class all 4 days. But today, I'm feeling fat and unfit.

So I have to work on my attitude and not give in to the "heck with this I'm not perfect yet" feeling that makes me overeat and give up on exercise.

I recently hurt my left hand and it's affecting my upper body strengthening regimen. That's another thing that's frustrating me.

I've been having the same problem as well. The last time I was at the gym was on New Year's Eve. I've actually been planning on going tonight though so this thread is a odd coincidence. I just hope I make it there though since everytime I say I'm going to go I never wind up going. I'm just sick of people calling me small, tiny or skinny though. It makes me feel like I have the body of a little kid when I'm an adult.

1 hour ago, GAJ123 said:

I've been having the same problem as well. The last time I was at the gym was on New Year's Eve. I've actually been planning on going tonight though so this thread is a odd coincidence. I just hope I make it there though since everytime I say I'm going to go I never wind up going. I'm just sick of people calling me small, tiny or skinny though. It makes me feel like I have the body of a little kid when I'm an adult.

Just go. You'll feel great.

Fight that initial feeling that holds you off.

42 minutes ago, WhyAreWeHere said:

Going to the gym never makes me feel better. I was in really good shape at one time & I still felt horrible most of the time. It's just hard to be motivated when no matter what I do feels like it's a chore. 

Edited by GAJ123

My motto is "any exercise is a bonus!"

Literally don't bother with the gym. I would start with walks, start with a 5 min walk every week. Or less! It doesn't matter how small you start, it's all about building your belief that you can do it and it's not so bad when you do.

You can listen to music while walking and it's free! You can mix it up by going up and down your stairs as many times as you can. 

Just start with a teeny tiny aim and do that for like 4 weeks, and then if you feel capable, increase your goal a teeny tiny bit :) 

7 hours ago, WhyAreWeHere said:

Sorry, but no.  This is just not true for everybody.  I've done the gym thing.  It didn't help. It didn't make me feel great. And I've walked. It was drudgery. I used to walk all the time. I loved it. So it's not the walking. 

So I did wind up going to the gym last night. But now my elbows are extremely sore. The left one hurts quite a bit. I don't know if it's due to not having good enough form or if I did too much weight. Also, the middle of my left arm is really sore as well. I was planning on going again today now I probably shouldn't. Go figure though.

1 hour ago, standup said:

You probably started out with too much weight. Start out very, very slowly. You need to strengthen your connective tissue first. When you're just starting up again, almost any (little) amount of weight will be fine. 

Yeah, I'm just going to stick with very light weight for each exercise. Than after every few weeks I'll increase the weight a little. 

On 4/6/2017 at 10:00 PM, rhyl said:

I haven't exercised in years. I am so weak I can barely get from here to there. Don't get like that. There is no up from here.

Exactly. 2 years ago, I was in great shape. I could sprint up flights of stairs and walk seemingly forever. Now? I huff and puff walking down the hallway. I did laundry this a.m. and even moving laundry from the dryer to the basket made me breathe hard. That's completely ridiculous.

I am going to start walking everywhere again. I did it 10 years ago and I could do it again.

38 minutes ago, JD4010 said:

Exactly. 2 years ago, I was in great shape. I could sprint up flights of stairs and walk seemingly forever. Now? I huff and puff walking down the hallway. I did laundry this a.m. and even moving laundry from the dryer to the basket made me breathe hard. That's completely ridiculous.

I am going to start walking everywhere again. I did it 10 years ago and I could do it again.

It sucks going from being in good shape to not doesn't it? I was angry at myself in the gym last night for letting myself get so weak. Weight that I was able to lift with no problem at all I struggled with or couldn't even do it. I can honestly see why so many people always have to point out to me that I'm skinny or small. I'm just sick of people saying that so a plus of being in better shape is that they can't say it anymore to me & it would maybe give me more confidence in some way. 

Edited by GAJ123

If you have a gym membership and don't even go then you're wasting a lot of money you could use to get equipment to workout at home. You only need basic stuff to get started. A jump rope, some resistance bands, a set of adjustable weights, a yoga mat. Now you don't need to be embarrassed about what everyone else thinks. You can buy workout videos, you can find them on your on demand tv stations, or pull ones off youtube. Don't forget videos on stretching routines to stretch before and after your workout to protect yourself.

Walking is a good all around start but I would quickly add some resistance training to it. That will give some cardio and strength training. 

As some one pointed out. Most everyone, if not everyone, is self conscious about some body part or size or shape or strength or what have you. Most of us with depression feel tired, lazy, uninterested and unmotivated to exercise. Don't let that be an excuse for doing nothing. It might not fix your depression or self image but it is healthy and does make an improvement in your overall health and well being. Exercise is not a miracle fix. It's just part of my defense system to not let my life completely slip away into nothingness. Making the time for diet and exercise is more important than most of the excuses we all make as to why we don't have time.

It's honestly okay. This just sounds like one extra thing to beat yourself up about that you really don't need to beat yourself up about. There are many ways to get exercise without going to a gym. There are thoooousands of at-home workouts you can do, and videos on youtube that you can follow along with if you'd like. . . and if you live in an apartment or dorm, there are even specific youtube videos for that environment. The gym is an excellent place, but if you find yourself unable to go, don't feel defeated. Walk when you can, take the stairs when you can, and remember to hydrate. :)