Sign in to follow this  
Atron

Venting and confusing thoughts

I can't understand what motivates people to actually want to do things. People who say stuff like 'I want to have this career' or 'I want to do this in future' when I'm just sat there thinking to myself, what do I want to get out of life. I haven't yet found an answer.

Its not like I don't do anything either. I have a fairly stable job and its not bad, I have hobbies, but I don't know what makes me want to do these things.

I feel like my mind and my actions are totally separate from each other. Im sure I've mentioned before that I get the sense that I am watching and feeling another persons life take place. It seems weird to think about it in that way.

What you say is very profound.  I have felt something similar many times during my life.

Seems like at some point of analyzing things one runs head on into mystery.  To me it is like shining a flashlight on a wall of darkness.  Make the circle of light bigger and the circle of darkness on the edge of it is always slightly bigger.

I am 62 now and the darkness does not seem scary as much as it seems somehow blessed. Hard to explain really.

Like you, I have also seen myself as though watching someone else.  I don't know about others here, but I tend to think of it as a good thing or partly good thing . 

Sorry my reply to you is so abstract, clinical and unhelpful.  Hopefully others here will have better words for you.  Best to you ! ! !  

I also think that's a very profound statement too. It's also something I've experienced from time to time but not so much in recent years that I can clearly remember.

My take on it is that we're quite possibly deep thinkers and that, allied to whatever mental state you might be in at a given time, your state of awareness might be affected and you sort of elevate from yourself.  

I appreciate that's about as clear as mud, but hopefully adds something to the discussion.

@Epictetus Snap ..... what a good birth year that was! :Coopyahoo:

Thanks to everyone who commented. To be honest I never expected an explanation as to why but I am glad to know that most of the things I am experiencing are not totally new and that I'm not alone.