Sign in to follow this  
jackuk27

How do others deal with their depression?

Hi all....Im interested to find out how people deal with their depression.....me, I tend to shut the world out, not opening my curtains, staying in my room day and night and not wanting to speak to ANYONE.....but keeping things inside and then they build up until its time for them to explode.

alcohol is the only thing that makes me feel something other than that dismal swamp.

i will say i have one friend i love dearly who keeps me alive simply because id never wish to hurt her.  shes a real sweetheart

When I wanted to quit smoking, I was told that when you have the urge to have a cigarette, do something that distracts you. I found the same thing helpful with depression, whether you play an instrument, listen to music, go for a run.. whatever it is.. finding something to focus on and distract you is always a good place to start.

Also strangely, even though im not in any way a writer, I found opening a word document and writing everything I thought out, saving it and reading through it strangely therapeutic.

Find what works for you.

R

I write/journal because it helps me to "see" my thoughts and worries that is causing me to feel upset. Sometimes I play puzzle games like sudoku to stop my mind from thinking/ruminating about my worries.

I just endure it. Exercise and listening to music helps some, but I can never get rid of it. It's always with me, this heavy sadness and anxiety. It's my burden in this life. I have to make it to the end without pulling the plug prematurely to try to end the pain. 

21 hours ago, manofmystery said:

When I wanted to quit smoking, I was told that when you have the urge to have a cigarette, do something that distracts you. I found the same thing helpful with depression, whether you play an instrument, listen to music, go for a run.. whatever it is.. finding something to focus on and distract you is always a good place to start.

Also strangely, even though im not in any way a writer, I found opening a word document and writing everything I thought out, saving it and reading through it strangely therapeutic.

Find what works for you.

R

This. Especially if you're unemployed like me, your mind starts to play tricks on you. Key is to keep busy and be distracted. Of course, everyone has to find something therapeutic. It could be watching TV, gardening (if possible), some say yoga, or colorbooks. And of course, accepting your situation, try to be more positive and look for solutions instead of obstacles, NOT avoiding people and talking to them about whatevers bothering you.

We create our own problems.