Jump to content

Anhedonia Support website


marvinoman

Recommended Posts

Has anyone tried the anhedonia support website? I did run into someone who is giving it a try(If you're that person seeing this please reply!). It apparently uses exercises based off of nueroplasticity to heal you. Reply if you have heard about this or have given it a try.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

 

 

21 hours ago, marvinoman said:
Advertisement

Has anyone tried the anhedonia support website? I did run into someone who is giving it a try(If you're that person seeing this please reply!). It apparently uses exercises based off of nueroplasticity to heal you. Reply if you have heard about this or have given it a try.

Hey Ive been doing exercises for 4 days already. but i must say about something else first. the thing is,  i ran into 2 videos by teal swan on youtube yesterday  - how to feel and the other how to cure apathy and i was almost really surprised cuz it seemed she had the answer. i was trying really hard to feel good the 17 years i had anhedonia, while trying to shut off any feelings i thought were not good. well teal swan says if you dont allow bad feelings, your brain shuts off all feelings as a result.

I we been to therapy before and because i was sceptical, it didnt work. (tissues on the table neaby? gimme a break) but yesterday i realised i was feeling quite bad couple of years prior to anhedonia due to social rejection and being alone. my mind actually prevented me going back to that time all 17 years of anhedonia (me being weak and miserable? i wont allow it, being happy is the way i should be) but yesterday i cracked because it was like teal was talking about me on the video, and as anhedonia in my case is actually suppressed grief about loneliness (i never realized it) i could almost cry, like en engine that cant quite start, but i was sorta pushing the ignition trying to cry for real. today i woke up like every other day, no change, but attemted tp cry several times and actually felt a tiny bit of relief. I couldnt cry before. It was impossible, felt nothing. Linked that experience long ago and it happened. Went out to the street, and noticed my sence of smell was much stronger, i could smell many things at a time which i couldnt before. A tiny feeling of relief was buzzing on the inside, barely notisable. I had a fear that i lose this tiny speck of relief, but as teal said, i didnt fight the fear, the insecurity, the anxiety. was walking with tears in my eyes ppl looking at me, was fighting not to fight the shame so to speak. will i feel a bit better like this tomorrow? i dont know. can i hope for recovery? i cant imagine recovery so not quite. but no suicidal thoughts today. and for moments i felt i was sorta integrated into my surroundings, like part of them. saw a girl and there was a jolt in my heart for a split second.

now what about anhedonia support website? has it anything to do with this or is it a coincidence? i could only guess the exercises and videos there allowed me to open up to the truth psychologist on youtube said. i denied shrinks before and i know now it is subconcios, it is the brain fight against the despair i felt 17 years ago. im embracing it now, and as teal says, see despair as a doorway to (cant remember what, like light at end of tunnel). 

i used to think for 17 years that this is a failure of my brain chemicals. now i believe it is psychological. 

1 more thing. most of the things on the site seem legit. it seems the author knows what she talks about, understands the sickness. the price is pretty steep thought. i think now its worth it. 

Edited by Alex Dolgov
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Alex Dolgov Wow man, it's great to hear that you're seeing some improvement so early into the program! Even though it may be a coincidence. I'd love to hear about how you're doing in a few weeks time since I know the program is like 15 weeks or something. Also has your anhedonia affected your sleep? For me feeling tired isn't the same as it used to be. And i haven't been able to take naps, its like slight insomnia.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am a new member but have been lurking for several years.

I have anhedonia and apathy from past ssri use. Last fall I tried the anhedonia support website program (by Jackie Kelm) that runs for 16 weeks. This is web based (not free) and features weekly podcasts, and support videos. The founder, who is not a therapist and claims not to be one, provides education about what she calls "emotional flatlining."  The backbone of the program features writing at least 15 minutes a day of what you appreciated and what you enjoyed that day-even if you have a hard time "enjoying" or "appreciating" anything-you keep doing it in order to pump the brain with dopamine. This process is very slow and can be frustrating.

Jackie has tried it on groups of people and has seen them recover from flatlining. This may sound simplistic but it did work for me but I stopped too soon-I really need to keep it up for at least a year. I restarted the beginning of this year and have noticed some small improvement. Recovery can be painfully slow - she outlines the slow process of recovery and provides weekly prerecorded video support. The best part of starting the program was I found that someone out there understands the problem, helps you deal with the anxiety of enduring this mental state that most mental health practitioners do not understand or dismiss.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

My issue with this Anhedonia Support website is that she's attempting to make money off people's illness. Personally I don't get why someone would do this. If I had the answers then I would give them for free as I wouldn't want people to suffer. That's just my view - no criticism of her as a person though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 8:00 PM, anh123 said:

Hi,

I am a new member but have been lurking for several years.

I have anhedonia and apathy from past ssri use. Last fall I tried the anhedonia support website program (by Jackie Kelm) that runs for 16 weeks. This is web based (not free) and features weekly podcasts, and support videos. The founder, who is not a therapist and claims not to be one, provides education about what she calls "emotional flatlining."  The backbone of the program features writing at least 15 minutes a day of what you appreciated and what you enjoyed that day-even if you have a hard time "enjoying" or "appreciating" anything-you keep doing it in order to pump the brain with dopamine. This process is very slow and can be frustrating.

Jackie has tried it on groups of people and has seen them recover from flatlining. This may sound simplistic but it did work for me but I stopped too soon-I really need to keep it up for at least a year. I restarted the beginning of this year and have noticed some small improvement. Recovery can be painfully slow - she outlines the slow process of recovery and provides weekly prerecorded video support. The best part of starting the program was I found that someone out there understands the problem, helps you deal with the anxiety of enduring this mental state that most mental health practitioners do not understand or dismiss.

 

Sounds interesting ... is that it though? I know recollection of past emotions can help trigger emotions in the present but it doesn't allow you to experience fresh emotions much I found. Also I don't want to experience misery i.e. be off medication as a long time answer to cure anhedonia. Pain can **** I've been told and the dark moods one can experience when off meds are triggering the pain parts of the brain. Its scary to think what prolonged suffering/misery can do to the brain/mind. Personally I think its this that triggers severe anhedonia well it certainly appeared to in my case. I would like to come off meds but I don't fancy suffering for an untold amount of weeks/months hoping that my brain will recover. Anyways guys your thoughts are welcome on that matter. Cheers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29.03.2017 at 7:14 AM, marvinoman said:

@Alex Dolgov Wow man, it's great to hear that you're seeing some improvement so early into the program! Even though it may be a coincidence. I'd love to hear about how you're doing in a few weeks time since I know the program is like 15 weeks or something. Also has your anhedonia affected your sleep? For me feeling tired isn't the same as it used to be. And i haven't been able to take naps, its like slight insomnia.

Hi, 

Im doing the program 7th week. I dont feel like (pun?) writing much, but theres definately improvement, i would recommend the program. 

As for sleep, i sleep too much so ive a different problem. There are accounts of people on the same stage of the program with insomnia, they say its not as bad on week 4.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

To Bradonee,

I do not mean any disrespect but the whole mental health system "money off people's illness." They have to make a living. For the Anhedonia support program there are costs-to maintain the website, create a curriculum, produce the videos, etc., plus I believe this is how the person running the program makes a living.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've heard of neuroplasticity but I haven't tried any excercises at this point. and just for those who wonder, my anhedonia has also affected my sleep. I never feel tired or that good and tired sleepy feeling I used to feel before I had anhedonia. I have to take sleep medicine and still it doesn't make me feel good and sleeply. I just have to lye in bed until I finally fall asleep then I wake up over and over again throughout the night.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...