Sign in to follow this  
afraidtolive

Esketamine...any news?

I'm feeling like the current meds are not working for me. I've tried several SSRIs and a few SNRIs. So hopeful that this new drug, esketamine, will come to market soon. Has anyone heard if/when we will be able to try it? I'm so tired of living like this. Feel like there is no hope for me lately. :(

Edited by Tungsten Aromatics
Link in violation of ToS

I think its in phase 3 clinical trials and fast tracked (whatever that means) by the fda. I am only guessing if everything goes well than within a year in the U.S. Hopefully early 2018

Edited by jay89

On Sunday, March 12, 2017 at 6:10 PM, afraidtolive said:

I'm feeling like the current meds are not working for me. I've tried several SSRIs and a few SNRIs. So hopeful that this new drug, esketamine, will come to market soon. Has anyone heard if/when we will be able to try it? I'm so tired of living like this. Feel like there is no hope for me lately. :(

What about regular ketamine? That's what I'll be trying next.

Edited by Natasha1
Quoted link. Links in violation of ToS

I wish there was a ketamine clinic in Canada. Im going to ask my psychiatrist when one will open up. I hate how long this is taking. Big Pharma trying to invent some analogue so that they can cash in. Trying to disguise the wait as ''we re not sure if its safe or we need more longterm data'' its all B.S. Its been around forever its safe. I Hope you have great results with it Stand-up. 

17 minutes ago, jay89 said:

I wish there was a ketamine clinic in Canada. Im going to ask my psychiatrist when one will open up. I hate how long this is taking. Big Pharma trying to invent some analogue so that they can cash in. Trying to disguise the wait as ''we re not sure if its safe or we need more longterm data'' its all B.S. Its been around forever its safe. I Hope you have great results with it Stand-up. 

You nailed it! That's the exact same thought I had about Esketamine....Why do we need Esketamine if plain old ketamine works? It all comes back to money. It's always about the money. It's bad enough that standard ketamine costs $600 per infusion at my local clinic (with an average of 6 infusions and the effects might only last for a couple months). I'm fortunate that my dad is willing to pay for it because he says that my mental health is priceless. I've been through a slew of medications and nothing works and now I'm almost out of hope. My next best option is ECT but, without going into detail, that's not practical for me right now. I need something and I need something fast because I've become obsessed with dying. Going into a hospital won't likely be helpful because they'll just change my medications to other medications that won't probably work and then I'll have to wait another 6-12 weeks just to find out they don't work. 

34 minutes ago, standup said:

You nailed it! That's the exact same thought I had about Esketamine....Why do we need Esketamine if plain old ketamine works? It all comes back to money. It's always about the money. It's bad enough that standard ketamine costs $600 per infusion at my local clinic (with an average of 6 infusions and the effects might only last for a couple months). I'm fortunate that my dad is willing to pay for it because he says that my mental health is priceless. I've been through a slew of medications and nothing works and now I'm almost out of hope. My next best option is ECT but, without going into detail, that's not practical for me right now. I need something and I need something fast because I've become obsessed with dying. Going into a hospital won't likely be helpful because they'll just change my medications to other medications that won't probably work and then I'll have to wait another 6-12 weeks just to find out they don't work. 

Your mental health is priceless your dads right what a great guy! If you haven t already look up ketamine advocacy network. Theres a bunch of info on it. The forum is great too. Try to connect with Susan. She has her own website, I  think its ([email protected]),  she s very active on the forum and knows alot about treatment. When are your infusions? 

Edited by jay89

34 minutes ago, jay89 said:

Your mental health is priceless your dads right what a great guy! If you haven t already look up ketamine advocacy network. Theres a bunch of info on it. The forum is great too. Try to connect with Susan. She has her own website, I  think its ([email protected]),  she s very active on the forum and knows alot about treatment. When are your infusions?

I still need to have a phone consultation with the doctor there, which will either be today or tomorrow. After that, if everything goes well, they said it'll probably be about 2 weeks before I can get in there for the first infusion.

I dont know where your located. Im in Canada. Just for fun I called the clinic in New York and spoke with Dr. Brooks. Seems like a nice guy. He thinks a clinic will open up in Canada within the year so Im hopefull. Make sure you call around their might be more than one  clinic in your area thats booking earlier. Good luck!

1 hour ago, jay89 said:

I dont know where your located. Im in Canada. Just for fun I called the clinic in New York and spoke with Dr. Brooks. Seems like a nice guy. He thinks a clinic will open up in Canada within the year so Im hopefull. Make sure you call around their might be more than one  clinic in your area thats booking earlier. Good luck!

Well....I'm scheduled for ketamine infusions next Monday and Wednesday and then following Monday and Wednesday! I'm feeling a flicker of hope for the first time in a long time.

Awesome! Gotta get into the mindset that the next 6 infusions is like starting another medication. It might take 4-6 before you see any benefits.   

On 13 March, 2017 at 3:28 PM, standup said:

Well....I'm scheduled for ketamine infusions next Monday and Wednesday and then following Monday and Wednesday! I'm feeling a flicker of hope for the first time in a long time.

I hope your infusion went well yesterday Stand up. Im thinking of you buddy! Im sending positive vibes your way. I hope you were able to get some sleep afterwards I know it can cause insomniia in the early stages for some people.

25 minutes ago, jay89 said:

I hope your infusion went well yesterday Stand up. Im thinking of you buddy! Im sending positive vibes your way. I hope you were able to get some sleep afterwards I know it can cause insomniia in the early stages for some people.

Thanks a lot Jay.

The infusion itself was fine. When I got home, I layed down on the couch and fell asleep for a couple hours. I slept fine all night. Today I feel slightly hungover and maybe slightly more anxious (but nothing I can't handle). I don't feel any better, but most people don't feel better the next day after the first infusion. My next infusion is tomorrow. By most accounts, I should start to feel some subtle effects in the days following the 2nd infusion. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for thinking of me.

Please let us know how this therapy is going. It is something I really considered as a next step. Unfortunately ketamine isn't offered where I live. I'd have to head to Toronto for it. I look forward to your updates. 

8 hours ago, Steve1995z said:

Please let us know how this therapy is going. It is something I really considered as a next step. Unfortunately ketamine isn't offered where I live. I'd have to head to Toronto for it. I look forward to your updates. 

Hi Steve

I would love to know where its being offered in Toronto. I live in Ottawa I didnt think it was being offered in Canada yet.  

On Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 6:01 AM, jay89 said:

Hi Steve

I would love to know where its being offered in Toronto. I live in Ottawa I didnt think it was being offered in Canada yet.  

Well, I had my second infusion yesterday afternoon. A lot of people say you should know something after your second infusion, but others say they don't notice a difference until after the 3rd-6th infusion. In fact, my nurse yesterday is also a patient. He said he really started noticing a difference after his 3rd infusion.

Last night, I felt a little surge in energy. Today I feel a little different. I normally take 0.5 mg klonopin in the morning but I didn't feel I needed it today. I think it's still too early to make any conclusions. My next infusion isn't until next Monday, so I'm taking a wait-and-see approach until then. But so far today, my mind isn't swirling as much as normal. They say the effects are usually very subtle at first, and that you first notice an increase in function before you notice an increase in mood.

Jay, I found a clinical trial at the University of Ottawa that appears to be taking new participants. Take a look.

*link removed*

Keep in mind that if you enter this study, you may get placebo. However, you'll know if you're getting the placebo (which will actually be midazolam, a benzo). Midazolam won't cause the disassociation that you'd get with ketamine, so you should be able to tell the difference. If you don't get ketamine, you can just drop out of the study.

Edited by Natasha1
Links in violation of ToS

Thanks for the link Stand up I appreciate it.   Thats so awesome that your nurse is actually a patient too. It must be  good signs that youve felt a little energy surge and less mental chatter. Little positives paving the way for great things to come!

Edited by jay89

1 hour ago, standup said:

It didn't work and now I'm completely hopeless. Thanks for asking though.

How many infusions did you have standup? kanna Sceletium tortuosm might be worth a try. Theres actual  pubmed clinical trials showing benefits. It has a unique mode of action which differes from any modern antidepressants. It would be worth ordering and trying an extract and tincture to see if you notice any benefits. You just have to get a quality source. Im so sorry that you didnt get any benefits from ketamine..  

Edited by jay89

3 minutes ago, jay89 said:

How many infusions did you have standup? kanna Sceletium tortuosm might be worth a try. Theres actual  pubmed clinical trials showing benefits. It has a unique mode of action which differes from any modern antidepressants. It would be worth ordering and trying an extract and tincture to see if you notice any benefits. You just have to get a quality source. Im so sorry that you didnt get any benefits from ketamine..  

I did 5 treatments. I have a 6th scheduled for tomorrow, but I'm thinking of cancelling because the odds at this point are slim to none.

I think my hope in any substances is close to zero. I feel like I've tried a million different things. I'm not sure what I'm going to do now. I actually think switching from Effexor (worked at one time but not working anymore) to Cymbalta would be the logical next step, but my doctor is too stupid to figure that out. I've suggested it at least 3 times. 

Theres also fetzima. I think you had mentioned almost trying that as well before your doc put you back on effexor.

Just now, jay89 said:

Theres also fetzima. I think you had mentioned almost trying that as well before your doc put you back on effexor.

My doctor's brilliant logic is that, since Fetzima and Cymbalta are in the same class as Effexor, they are not worth trying. I know, they should give her a f***ing nobel prize. Cutting edge stuff.

31 minutes ago, standup said:

My doctor's brilliant logic is that, since Fetzima and Cymbalta are in the same class as Effexor, they are not worth trying. I know, they should give her a f***ing nobel prize. Cutting edge stuff.

FWIW My psychiatrist claims to be getting excellent results with fetzima. Hes been wanting me to try it for quite some time now. 

Oh man I'm sorry the Ketamine isn't working for you. What drag. Keep trying stuff I guess, right? That's all we can do.

I'm trying Effexor now after Lexapro didn't seem to cut it anymore. 2nd AD I've been on. Been 2 weeks now on Effexor, felt better at first but been in the dumps for a few days now hard. Been in the toilet of toilets for 4 relentless months now. Also have a consultation for an rTMS trial tomorrow. Standup have you heard of TMS? It's different from ECT and might work for you?