Sign in to follow this  
seekinglife

Alternatives to ssri's?

Hi there,

I've tried three ssri's (zoloft, prozac, and lexapro). Prozac gave me the most motivation and zoloft lowered my anxiety, but I just couldn't tolerate the side effects.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has had good success with something else outside the ssri's for major depression?

Thanks

If you want to try natural methods first before seeing a doctor you could try,  (adaptogen herb) rhodiolla rosea, (herbal) st-johns wort, kanna seletium tortuosa (kanna), nootropic antidepressant by servier tianeptine all these are suggestions Ive heard people have had positive results with. 

I had mild to moderate depression, and the OTC supplement SAMe (S-adenosylmethionine) has worked very well, with no side effects.  I take a comparatively low dose, 100 mg once a day, compared to what is commonly recommend by the manufacturers.  

I just recently started taking  750mg of GABA once a day. I have been on 20mg and most recently 10mg of Lexapro for 2 years as 150mg of Wellbutrin. Unfortunately, my insurance ran out and my medicine was WAY too expensive to keep buying so I started doing my research and found out that GABA deficiency is very similar to serotonin deficiency. When I ran out of my medication, I decided to supplement the GABA instead. Now disclaimer, you should NEVER just stop taking SSRI's EVER, it will screw you up big time, but I didn't have much of a choice here so I thought, what the hell, might as well try something rather than nothing. So far it's been almost 2 weeks and I feel the exact same as when I was on SSRI's. My obsessive thoughts are gone, no anxiety, it's like I'm on my regular meds. Normally after about 3 days off of my meds, my mind starts racing, I get brain zaps, and I just feel terrible but so far 2 WHOLE WEEKS in and I feel normal. I may just fall in love with this stuff.

On 5/1/2017 at 11:05 AM, kaymichele01 said:

I just recently started taking  750mg of GABA once a day. I have been on 20mg and most recently 10mg of Lexapro for 2 years as 150mg of Wellbutrin. Unfortunately, my insurance ran out and my medicine was WAY too expensive to keep buying so I started doing my research and found out that GABA deficiency is very similar to serotonin deficiency. When I ran out of my medication, I decided to supplement the GABA instead. Now disclaimer, you should NEVER just stop taking SSRI's EVER, it will screw you up big time, but I didn't have much of a choice here so I thought, what the hell, might as well try something rather than nothing. So far it's been almost 2 weeks and I feel the exact same as when I was on SSRI's. My obsessive thoughts are gone, no anxiety, it's like I'm on my regular meds. Normally after about 3 days off of my meds, my mind starts racing, I get brain zaps, and I just feel terrible but so far 2 WHOLE WEEKS in and I feel normal. I may just fall in love with this stuff.

And what if you start taking an SSRI at the doctor's recommended dose, but with no buildup time?