Seroquel (Quetiapine) Posts

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have depression and I have been on Seroquel 200 mg for 2 years to help with sleep.

The last time I tried to withdraw Seroquel about 6 months ago the insomnia returned and after 3 months I was desperately tired with lack of sleep ending one day with crying spells and telling my pdoc that I couldn't handle it anymore. Come back to seroquel again, get stable and now my pdoc said that I could reduce and manage the seroquel so I could take the minimum possible.

I have the plan of reducing 150 mg week 1, then 100 mg week 2, then 50 mg week 3, but i am already expecting the worst and probably have to adjust the plan. This drug is really addictive because I felt I can't sleep without it and I have the fear of being on it the rest of my life.

The problem is that this is not only my opinion from what I have been reading. Any success stories for a better future without seroquel?

Edited by elevenoceans

I was on Seroquel XR ( started with 50 mg and worked my way up to 200mg )for one year and stopped two months ago.

The withdrawal symptoms weren't as bad as I thought they would be and were completely gone within two weeks. I experienced Insomnia but I was prepared because you can never get off seroquel without experiencing insomnia, as you probably have noticed it knocks you out completely. and I was anxious and irritable for a week but nothing too severe.

I have been on Remeron for over a year and it helps with insomnia, after the first week of withdrawal my body got used to responding to Remeron only without the seroquel and i've never slept better.

• 3 months later...

Just an update related on the Seroquel withdrawal. Instead of reduction periods of 1 week, I have elongated this period for about 1 month. So each month I reduced 50mg from the previous dosage. It is interesting to notice that today it is my first night without any Seroquel at all, sort of resolution of new year. The process has been slow but things have worked out, I came from 200 mg in September and was sleeping well on 50mg until last night. I have to say that today I couldn't sleep at all but I am confident that things will work and in a few days sleep will get better.

It is the 5th day without Seroquel and things haven't been easy. I still haven't had some decent sleep and I am worried that I could go back do Seroquel again, I do not go to full depression again because lack of sleep. Anyway, I need to reinforce my patiente skiils and wait a couple of days more so my organism get used to living without Seroquel.

• 3 months later...

My GP has put me on 25mg of seroquel at night to help me sleep because my anxiety has been very high lately and I haven't been sleeping well for some time. In addition to this, she's also got me titrating from 150mg of Pristiq down to 100mg in the morning.

The seroquel has really been knocking me out and making me sleep, which is great. Yesterday, I was depressed and somnolent and today I'm very alert, have tons of energy and am bordering on agitated. I don't suffer from bipolar and there's no history of it in my family. I know two days on a medication is not very long, and I'm going back to see my GP tomorrow, so I'll check with her too. But am I having an abnormal reaction to the seroquel? I really don't know what to make of it.

Does anyone have any advice?

Everyone reacts to meds differently, and it takes time to sort things out. It could be the change in Pristiq that's causing those side effects, too. I always got frustrated when my docs tried to change more than one med at a time. Who knows which one is doing what at that point? I'm pretty firm on minimal meds for myself now. I prefer to cope as naturally as possible. Easier said than done.

My GP has put me on 25mg of seroquel at night to help me sleep because my anxiety has been very high lately and I haven't been sleeping well for some time. In addition to this, she's also got me titrating from 150mg of Pristiq down to 100mg in the morning.

The seroquel has really been knocking me out and making me sleep, which is great. Yesterday, I was depressed and somnolent and today I'm very alert, have tons of energy and am bordering on agitated. I don't suffer from bipolar and there's no history of it in my family. I know two days on a medication is not very long, and I'm going back to see my GP tomorrow, so I'll check with her too. But am I having an abnormal reaction to the seroquel? I really don't know what to make of it.

Does anyone have any advice?

Hey Kurayami. I was in a similar situation. I was given 25 MG of Seroquel and have been on it for about 5 months. I noticed the increase in alertness lower depression ect first day as well. I think it is mainly because we were sleep deprived and once we took it got some rest which our body needs. I do a ton of research on meds and Seroquel at low dosages such as 25mg/50mg only hit H1 receptors and have a sedative effect.

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2007/07/the_most_important_article_on.html

Seroquel is a powerful drug, and it is necessary some time for the adaptation of the drug. I used to take 200mg to help with sleep during 2 years, reduced the dosage very slowly over a period of 5 months and now I am only with 50mg 2 times a week. I hope very soon to let go completly but I am with some fear because I already tried in the past 2 times with catastrophic results. That's why I am getting it slowly this time.

I'm tapering off Seroquel regular. Was at 150mg now am at 100 and reducing to 75 today. I am also on 300 Effexor XR. Is insomnia the main withdrawal symptom of going off Seroquel?

Many thanks,

ELO

I've been on and off Seroquel for many years now. At one stage, while I was manic, I was prescribed 800mg/day and then once stabilised I was on 200mg/day for maintenance however the lethargy was too great and I stopped as I just couldn't function at work.

Lately I have been taking 50mg at night for sleeping which has worked well with no lethargy in the morning. I am currently working with my doc at upping the dose to 150mg/day as apparently it has anti depressant properties from that level. Due to being bipolar my doc is apprehensive in prescribing anti depressant due to them being know to causing switching in moods - fingers crossed it works as I'm so desperate in getting out of this whole I find myself in at the moment

Seroquel has been a positive drug for me, the only downside is the lethargy at higher doses but apart from that I have adapted quite well to it.

I wish everyone success with it

Hi ELO

I think insomnia, and at least in my case, is the most problematic withdrawal symptom, maybe because Seroquel was used mainly to help with my sleep problems

Now I am only taking Seroquel 50 mg one or two times a week. Things are not always easy but are more manageable. This stuff is really heavy and I really see that the process is slow, and having patient is important.

Good luck for you!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've been taking Quetiapine (Seroquel) for about a year now since being diagnosed with Bipolar (50mg morning, 150mg night). I've found it pretty damn good as a med - keeps me level and my anxiety has gone away for the most part, only downside really is that I can't lose weight on it (I've read it's a common problem).

Every night when I take it, pretty much bang on 45 minutes after the 150mg tablet, if I'm vertical, be that sitting down or standing up, I suddenly get hit with this sudden rush of nausea, like I have a rock in my throat, my arms go limp and heavy and I feel quite spectacularly dizzy. I literally have to get horizontal immediately otherwise I'm fairly sure I'll either pass out or puke.

I asked my doctor who said it's to do with what the meds do to your blood pressure (I have low blood pressure anyway), but I'm still a bit concerned about it.

Has anybody else ever encountered this? I've looked around but can't find anybody with a similar experience.

Has the nausea been like this the whole time you've been taking Seroquil? Or is this something that started within the past few months? If the latter, maybe a visit to your GP would be another place to start to work on the nausea. What kind of foods do you eat? How many meals do you eat throughout the day? If you're eating a lot of processed foods, you need to change to fresh food like veggies, salads, fruit, whole grain breads, and omega 3 type fish (salmon, trout) Don;t eat anything fried. Just a few suggestions. Does it really keep you asleep the whole night and are you sleepy in the day? I only ask as my pdoc has suggested Seroquil to me.Sheepwoman

For a few years, I took 100 mg of Seroquel nightly for sleep. I went off it in December.

My sleep has been atrocious lately and I didn't want to go back on something as heavy as Seroquel, but my doctor asked if I'd consider doing it short-term while I wait for my appt. at the sleep clinic in a few weeks. I said short-term was fine with me. The first night I took 50 mg, I slept close to 16 hours and woke feeling dazed and drugged, not refreshed at all. And I was super depressed and flat.

So last night I just took half of a 50 mg tablet. I had really stressful dreams. Today I am feeling exhausted and really, really depressed and hopeless.

Has anyone else felt the depression after starting Seroquel? I am concerned about it.

Hi starrykitten,

I, too, am having some issues with Seroquel, and like LaurynJcat, I also suspect that your problems are a combination of side effects and coming back out of a sudden withdrawel. I can't really advise any better, though. I think that taking 50 mg is wise for now, if that helps at all.

All the best.

Lost Sparrow

• 3 months later...

At first, taking Seroquel during the day will knock you like a ton of bricks. But eventually if you be patient and persevere, also depending on how your body responds to this drug, the zombie tired feeling will get a bit better.

I am on 300 mg twice a day. I have stopped taking my morning dose, but If I feel an anxiety or irritability coming on during the day, I will take half, = 150mg. I will initially feel tired, but then it transforms into a calmness and a feeling of “I couldn’t give a damn about the problem at hand.” My 300mg night time dose puts me into a deep sleep every night which I love!

Seroquel is not for everyone. It will take trial and error and a bit of adjustment here and there, but ultimately it is a miracle drug for certain individuals, me being one of them.

At first, taking Seroquel during the day will knock you like a ton of bricks. But eventually if you be patient and persevere, also depending on how your body responds to this drug, the zombie tired feeling will get a bit better.

I am on 300 mg twice a day. I have stopped taking my morning dose, but If I feel an anxiety or irritability coming on during the day, I will take half, = 150mg. I will initially feel tired, but then it transforms into a calmness and a feeling of “I couldn’t give a damn about the problem at hand.” My 300mg night time dose puts me into a deep sleep every night which I love!

Seroquel is not for everyone. It will take trial and error and a bit of adjustment here and there, but ultimately it is a miracle drug for certain individuals, me being one of them.