Sign in to follow this  
La Mariposa

A useless psychiatrist. (Meeting #2.)

So, I've been to see the psychiatrist I was previously discouraged from seeing again. And I honestly can say that I've never had such displeasure before in my entire life, including meeting her for the first time. She was absolutely the most belittling, arrogant, self-righteous, lying, underhanded 'professional' I have ever met. First of all, I caught her in several lies throughout the course of our meetings. 

Me: I have tactile and auditory hallucinations.

Good for nothing psychiatrist: Okay, *sighs*, again, most people use those terms differently (no, they don't), you have to tell me what you mean. (Who doesn't know what hallucinations are? I mean come on, really? You're SUPPOSED to be a psychiatrist? Pfft.) 

Me: (About to start crying, but holding myself together. Another of my concerns: I'm fairly certain I'm Bipolar 1.) I see things, like people who aren't really there, insects, spiders, monsters, things that stalk me, talk to me and aren't really there. I've had things touch me that weren't really there but I felt it. 

Her: I need a specific time line on this.

Me: (I answered prior that I couldn't remember but they happened in the past month.) I don't have one. (I gave up, since she kept repeating herself and being a twat while not listening to me.) 

Her: Okay. (Moves onto next irrelevant, boring topic.) 

Her: Do you know what a psychiatrist is, what I do, as opposed to a counselor? 

Me: *Pauses, thinking, concentrating* A Psychiatrist diagnoses mental health issues and prescribes medications accordingly. A counselor hears all of your problems from your point of view and helps you from there. 

Her: You could go to your MD for that. (FOR MENTAL HEALTH DIAGNOSIS? Thanks, genius.) 

At this point^^ she lost all credibility for me. 

An example would be: "Why did you come here to see me, if you don't want to listen to my diagnosis?" (She didn't diagnose me with anything, she actually refused to listen to my symptoms, refused to hear me out, and formulated her own opinion and said: You're not ___, not ____, not ____ and put words into my mouth.) 

Me: And I said: Because you told me to. 

(Terrible Psychiatrist:) "No, I OFFERED to see you again." 

Me: "No, you didn't! You told me to comeback for a follow-up appointment! I DIDN'T WANT to see you again." 

(Terrible psychiatrist): "You made no attempts to see your counselor, correct me if I'm wrong." 

Me: That's not true at all. And I have difficulty leaving the house.(I have concerns I'm agoraphobic, that she wouldn't listen to at all) I didn't get her texts until a day later and we were unable to meet. I am fed up, and p***** off. I'm tired of being talked down to by healthcare 'professionals'! (I start to get angry, and this is about where the yelling kicked in, the above happened sometime in-between and I'm sorry if this seems confusing as I don't remember entirely the order of things.) 

Her: Okay- 

Me: "You made me SUICIDAL! I almost killed myself on my birthday because of you! Would it matter if I killed myself tomorrow? I'm done with you. I won't be doing this again."  (Storms out of room) 

I'm sick of bad psychiatrists and seeing ones who were just so inept, rude and full of themselves. I'm going to try and see one from a place that has credible psychiatrists, and doesn't seem to be bottom of the barrel garbage. 

-Mariposa

I've had a few like that.

The most memorable was one that I saw when I was a teen.  My mother made me see her because she allowed my mom to sit in on every single session, and she always told my mom what she wanted to hear.

One day, she asked me what my goals were for the coming school year.  I told her I wanted to have a part-time job, get good grades, etc...normal teen stuff.  She then said (in a very condescending way), "do you really think you can do all that?"  I went off on her.  I called her a **** b**** and told her to f*** off.  Then I walked out.

This was a long time coming, so I guess my mother probably wasn't shocked.  She said we needed one last appointment for closure.  I told her she can go by herself, because I wasn't setting foot in that office again.

I still hate that b****.  I suffered so much during the years I had to see her.

It taught me a valuable lesson about not wasting time with "professionals" like her.

I'm glad you realize it's not you; there are just some s****y "professionals" out there.

Yeah, I'm definitely done with people who try to make me feel 'less than'. Doctors where I live are required to be fluent in English and this one absolutely was not. She shouldn't even have a credible psychiatry license if she's going to be this arrogant. She's lucky I didn't **** myself. She would have gotten quite the lucrative law suit from my family. 

I'm glad you stood up for yourself, too. I saw her twice in two months. The first time was terrible. This time? I only made it half an hour into the appointment though she kept saying things to put me down. Nope. Won't fly with this one. 

-Mariposa

@La Mariposaand @LoneSquirrel my favorite completely screwed up and unhealthy coping skill when these memories destroy me is writing horrible ratemd reviews.

The voice in my head interrogating me 3.5 years later.. the answers get more disturbing every time they come. If I had a shred of confidence at that time I wouldn't have made it through that day.

I actually just did that yesterday! Lmao. I couldn't find any conclusive or credible evidence anyone liked her in the slightest so I decided to give her first review with quite a few choice words and a 'would not recommend to anyone'. 

It sucks dealing with people like this. It took a lot of frustration/anger/anxiety for me to blow up like I did. One of my symptoms was brain fog and this ***** wouldn't listen to me no matter how many times I told her I couldn't remember SPECIFIC details of when/where I see things. I'm more interested in escaping them when they come. Honestly though it may be odd but the monsters can offer more comfort than the people.

For me, it gives me no greater pleasure than to verbally destroy these "professionals." Sometimes, to me, that is even better than the "help" they're supposed to provide.

La Mariposa, I am so glad you stood up for yourself. I wish more people would do that when they're treated this way.

Good for you!!! :Coopclapping:   :Coopclapping:   :Coopclapping:

- KS

That was part of the reason I went back-- closure. But she also gave me false hope/entrapment to come back. "Next time we may try to diagnose you." She's nothing but a liar and I hope she loses her license.

for me, well, in my case I'm a borderline sociopath stacked on top of my other mental illnesses and it honestly makes me go right for the throat when angered or set off by someone like her. 

Glad to know someone else gives them a taste of their own medicine.

17 minutes ago, La Mariposa said:

I actually just did that yesterday! Lmao. I couldn't find any conclusive or credible evidence anyone liked her in the slightest so I decided to give her first review with quite a few choice words and a 'would not recommend to anyone'. 

It sucks dealing with people like this. It took a lot of frustration/anger/anxiety for me to blow up like I did. One of my symptoms was brain fog and this ***** wouldn't listen to me no matter how many times I told her I couldn't remember SPECIFIC details of when/where I see things. I'm more interested in escaping them when they come. Honestly though it may be odd but the monsters can offer more comfort than the people.

It is fun:) I also Biotched out a crisis Centre doctor which I enjoyed ?

As civil servants these people should know better. If you're not going to have decent bed side manner or listen then you can honestly just get out of that profession. Nobody made you go into it and honestly if you're going to act this way, when/if we **** ourselves or have a suicide attempt you rightfully should be sued and have your license revoked. It's unacceptable. "Professionals" like them give the others bad rep.

5 minutes ago, LouisRiel said:

It is fun:) I also Biotched out a crisis Centre doctor which I enjoyed ?

:Coopclapping:

There are a lot of them that need their licenses revoked and they need to be replaced by real human beings, if such a thing still exists.

- KS

This is hard to keep within TOS but I also had a nurse yell at me when my IV's flushing my OD made my arms bleed and she yelled I shouldn't be doing that either. I could have died, but no big deal lets make her feel worse.

Edited by LouisRiel

I didn't realize there were so many inept psychiatrists out there.  I saw one that was equally terrible.  He continually talked down to me, sometimes acting as if it was my fault that I had the mental illnesses that I have.  He even asked me once if I thought that I might exaggerate my symptoms because I need attention. "well yes, *****, I like to feel awful, it is fun!"  One time I was there I was feeling really depressed and anxious and asked him for something for anxiety, he asked me if I was suicidal and I said no (because I wasn't at that time), but I guess he didn't believe me so he took it upon himself to call the police and have them take me to the ER where the admitted me to the psych ward on a hold because he said that I was a danger to myself.  I think he was just a power hungry jerk.  My husband had it cleared up the next day and had me released but still......I switched to a new doctor.  There are still good ones out there, I see one now that I've been with for 2 years and he is great, I guess Iucked out!

There are good ones and bad ones out there......just like in every field....I've had my share of both.....but they are just people, like we are, (regardless if some of them think they are higher than us because they are doctors ........... and some of them lack some serious people skills!! :sniffle1:

On 3/2/2017 at 11:56 AM, LouisRiel said:

This is hard to keep within TOS but I also had a nurse yell at me when my IV's flushing my OD made my arms bleed and she yelled I shouldn't be doing that either. I could have died, but no big deal lets make her feel worse.

Yeah, they really aren't kind when you go to the hospital after an OD.  When I was 16, I took a bunch of pills and wound up in the hospital.  The nurse who was tending to me in the ER treated me like crap, and my primary care physician came to the hospital the next morning and screamed at me.  He's dead now.  From what I heard, he started bleeding from his butt and didn't go to the ER like he should have, and he bled to death.  Maybe he didn't want to deal with people treating him the way he treated others.

In my opinion hospitals are worthless.  They usually do nothing but make sure the paperwork is done so they get paid.  You end up paying thousands of dollars for nothing.  The problem with doctors are a lot of them have personality disorders and they are not capable of relating to people.  A lot of them will tell nurses to talk to patients because they have no ability to do it themselves.  That's the sad but honest truth.

5 minutes ago, sober4life said:

In my opinion hospitals are worthless.  They usually do nothing but make sure the paperwork is done so they get paid.  You end up paying thousands of dollars for nothing.  The problem with doctors are a lot of them have personality disorders and they are not capable of relating to people.  A lot of them will tell nurses to talk to patients because they have no ability to do it themselves.  That's the sad but honest truth.

I always wonder why people reference me there when I am in a crisis. When I got admitted before, they do things other professionals are supposed to do anyway when you go see them. In the end, I get left with a nice big hospital bill and no progress. Smells like a scam to me.

- KS

Edited by KidSurvivor2011
Additional Information

It is a scam in my opinion.  Also it's very dangerous because they can keep you there forever or bounce you around from one of their facilities to another as long as they want and you have no say over it whatsoever.  Yes you can have a hearing in court but in court there will be you, the doctor and the judge.  Who do you think the judge will listen to?  Also if your insurance stops paying the bill they will discharge you no matter how bad you are and they don't care where you go when you walk out the door.

5 hours ago, KidSurvivor2011 said:

I always wonder why people reference me there when I am in a crisis. When I got admitted before, they do things other professionals are supposed to do anyway when you go see them. In the end, I get left with a nice big hospital bill and no progress. Smells like a scam to me.

I wouldn't go as far as calling it a scam but the help they provide is certainly limited. Hospitals are good for two things, keeping you safe from yourself and/or making major medication adjustments over a short period which may be too risky to do on an outpatient basis. To make real progress you'd need to go to a depression rehab center where they actually have the time and resources to provide the care you need. Unfortunately that kind of care seems to be limited to people with a lot of money since the average depressed person is hardly in a position to afford it :( 

16 minutes ago, sober4life said:

Also if your insurance stops paying the bill they will discharge you no matter how bad you are and they don't care where you go when you walk out the door.

In my experience they don't kick you out as long as you're feeling suicidal. Even when I didn't have insurance they kept me in the hospital until I was stabilized. May be different from state to state though, I was in Virginia at the time. 

Mariposa and others in this thread    I was in therapy for 10 years  but with psychologist.  The reasons for asking the questions is determine whether you are faking or not  and then to understand what medication you should be put on.   Being on therapy is the best thing that happened to me.   If i hadn't gotten it, i wouldn't be here typing this.   Find  psychiatrist that you like,    Ask your general doctor if you need one   Maybe all  you need is a psychologist. .  I was only at a psychiatrist once  and by then end of the hour he told me there was nothing wrong with me.   boy was he wrong.