Sign in to follow this  
scienceguy

I feel like the only person that doesn't want or plan on have any kids

It feels surreal being 26 now and realizing people my age have or younger kids and are married. Does it get worse as you get older, I kinda wish more people choose to live like me lol I feel like the only person that has always wanted to be childfree, im getting depressed thinking about the future im worried that there will be no childless people to be friends with. 

I don't have children and I'm 62.  There must be millions of people like us in the world Scienceguy.  I never Googled it, so its just a guess.   - epictetus

Scienceguy! At least being a guy people don't treat you like you're worthless/immature because apparently those are your choices being a woman who doesn't want to birth any children. It's always "oh you still have time" "you will grow up to want it" and The Looks. The Why-Are-Alive-Then looks. because being a human incubator should be the ultimate goal of a woman's existence.

I'm also hoping to find people who get it. I hate to think that someone could break up a relationship over this?

Anyway ((( solidarity hugs )))

Edited by Azealia

On 3/1/2017 at 0:40 PM, Azealia said:

Scienceguy! At least being a guy people don't treat you like you're worthless/immature because apparently those are your choices being a woman who doesn't want to birth any children. It's always "oh you still have time" "you will grow up to want it" and The Looks. The Why-Are-Alive-Then looks. because being a human incubator should be the ultimate goal of a woman's existence.

I'm also hoping to find people who get it. I hate to think that someone could break up a relationship over this?

Anyway ((( solidarity hugs )))

yeah that must suck I know women put alot of stress on each other since society tries to shame women who want to live there life the way they want.

I get annoyed how everyone acts like the only purpose in life is to raise a family, I like to read alot, learn new things, learn about different cultures, follow the news etc. I know people with kids dont have time to do all that stuff. whats the big deal if someone likes there free time and wants to do what they want with there money when they are off from work I don't get it.

I have no intentions of having children either science guy. Plenty of people don't. It's not a problem. We have enough people in the world to deal with as it is. We have numerous people starving. It's fine to not add more souls to the sad world we live in.

2 hours ago, scienceguy said:

I get annoyed how everyone acts like the only purpose in life is to raise a family

Same here. I don't dislike children but it's always been clear to me that I won't have any. Being an uncle is good enough :)

I don't view not having children as selfish, in my case I would consider it irresponsible to have then:

• I don't have the desire to have children of my own and would probably end up being like my dad, unable to emotionally connect with them
  • I have inferior genes: Unattractive, poor health, and short... Do I really want children who will struggle with the same issues? Seems unfair to pass them on to another generation.
  • Mental health issues seem to run in the family making it very likely that my children would end up dealing with depression or BPD
  • I don't have a stable career so my ability to provide financially would not be guaranteed
  • I suffer from BPD, odds are I would be an emotionally abusive father, even if it's not intentional. There are times I can't control my feelings and say mean things. 
  • I'm depressed and have very little energy

The way I look at it society should be grateful for someone like me choosing not to procreate, lol. Where are my tax breaks? Parents get them...

BTW, doesn't seem to be too unusual for men not to have children, a quarter of us never do. Here's what a 2012 CDC study found: "By age 40, 85% of women had had a birth, and 76% of men had fathered a child."

On 1.3.2017 at 7:04 PM, scienceguy said:
Advertisement

It feels surreal being 26 now and realizing people my age have or younger kids and are married. Does it get worse as you get older, I kinda wish more people choose to live like me lol I feel like the only person that has always wanted to be childfree, im getting depressed thinking about the future im worried that there will be no childless people to be friends with. 

I'm 50, been in a relationship for 19 years and neither my wife or I have ever felt the iimperative to procreate. There's quite a few us around, i believe.

The way I've been in the past, the way I am now, it's probably a good thing I never ended up with children.

Another thing entirely is I'd never want a child of mine to go through the horrors of schoolbullying like I did in my teens. It pretty much defined me for years to come.

I have no desire to have children. Society should end this nonsense that every single person MUST have children. As a single male in my 20s, I guess I am out of luck as it seems most women want a husband who wants children. 

I certainly don't want to pass on my family's medical history to anyone. 

We live in a planet where there are millions of starving children whose parents have either abandoned them or are unable to provide basic necessities like clean water and food. With such a resource imbalance, I don't want to add another mouth to feed. This planet has a limit to how many humans it can reasonably sustain.

No you are not alone, I know plenty of people who don't have children, and some don't want them for various reasons. I don't see anything wrong with it. It's not for everyone..