Sign in to follow this  
LoneSquirrel

What Do You Do To Make Yourself Feel Better When You Are Extremely Depressed and Feeling Hopeless?

Just now, Lunachick said:

It is the best app, in my opinion.

Okay.  I hadn't heard of it.  I don't have a smartphone, but I inherited my dad's iPod touch, so I use apps on that.  I'll have to check it out.  :thumbsup:

44 minutes ago, ladysmurf said:

It depends on my mood. Sometimes I go for sad music, and other times music that makes me feel better....a little optimistic I guess....

I'm the same way, lady. 

1 hour ago, LoneSquirrel said:

Okay.  I hadn't heard of it.  I don't have a smartphone, but I inherited my dad's iPod touch, so I use apps on that.  I'll have to check it out.  :thumbsup:

Let me know how you like it! I love that it lets you search for particular things and gives you info on them, besides showing you where they are.

2 hours ago, LoneSquirrel said:

I think I need more physical activities as well, and there are times when I'll try just about anything to get through the night...except for things that require effort.  ::sigh::  Sometimes it feels like just picking up my limbs is too much to ask.

I've thought about picking up smoking again.  It's not a good idea, I know.  I quit in 2013, but now I'm starting to feel the old cravings coming back.  

To anyone who hasn't ever smoked cigarettes, just don't.  It's not worth trying.  You'll just have a new problem to contend with.  

it took me 15 years of trying to quit before i finally got it right, been smoke free since about 08

59 minutes ago, Lunachick said:

Let me know how you like it! I love that it lets you search for particular things and gives you info on them, besides showing you where they are.

Coooool.  :blues: :smile:

19 minutes ago, bbwolf said:

it took me 15 years of trying to quit before i finally got it right, been smoke free since about 08

It really didn't require much effort for me to quit when I did.  I'd been sick with a respiratory ailment and hadn't been smoking that much.  When it came time to buy a new pack, I thought, "why?"  

When my dad was dying, my sibling got me smoking again, but I stopped not long after he died.  (I drank a lot though.)

Every now and then I would have a cigarette, for awhile, if someone else had them and was smoking, but then I stopped even doing that.

I feel like the addictive things I do to soothe myself sort of fall away when they aren't needed.  

Right now I'm hanging on by a thread, and that's why I'm having such a hard time staying away from stuff that's bad for me.

3 minutes ago, Lunachick said:

You guys... Yankee Candle's "Moonlit Night"... *swoon*

I like that one.  I just buy the tarts because they are so much less expensive than the candles.

Bath and Body Works has a fragrance called "Marshmallow Fireside" that I adore.  Unfortunately, they've raised the prices on their candles so much that even when they are half price I can't justify buying one.  But they have a room spray that is much cheaper, so I buy that when it's in season.  I also like "Tiki Beach" a lot.

Just now, LoneSquirrel said:

I like that one.  I just buy the tarts because they are so much less expensive than the candles.

Bath and Body Works has a fragrance called "Marshmallow Fireside" that I adore.  Unfortunately, they've raised the prices on their candles so much that even when they are half price I can't justify buying one.  But they have a room spray that is much cheaper, so I buy that when it's in season.  I also like "Tiki Beach" a lot.

I love their Black Tie candle. Or anything with bergamot oil.. Which is apparently good to relieve anxiety (like lavender).

1 minute ago, Lunachick said:

I guess I tend to like "masculine" scents. Don't really like sweet or fruity scents.

I like a lot of different types of scents.  

There are certain notes I don't like.  I don't like pine-scented stuff, or coriander.  I tend not to like amber, though some stuff with amber in it smells good to me.  I have to be in the mood to smell lavender.

I like florals (especially lilac), certain vanilla scents (not too sweet), some "ocean" scents, some fruity scents, "clean" scents, unisex scents, some herbal scents...all sorts of stuff, really.  I go through moods or phases where one scent will appeal to me more than others.

I tend to really be a fragrance junkie.  Not as much lately, because I've been so down that I don't care about much, but when I'm feeling better I'm really into fragranced items of nearly every variety.  

I'm kind of sensitive to smells though, so if something is too strong I can't handle it.  I never used to be that way, but I stopped using chemical cleaners in my home and  stopped wearing fragrance while my dad was going through chemo, and it kind of "re-set" my nose, I think.  I was no longer used to all of the strong smells, so I couldn't handle them anymore.

4 hours ago, LoneSquirrel said:

What is Skyview, Lunachick?  Is that an app?

3 hours ago, Lunachick said:

It is the best app, in my opinion.

StarWalk is another good one! Will have to check out Skyview, hadn't heard of that one...

What I find most comforting in my loneliest moments is to search for music that pulses with the same beat as my heart. I look for the pain in its most grandiose form. Afterward, I sit outside and gaze at the empty, starless city sky, musing about the nature of existence. If those efforts fail, I try to invoke a polar opposite feeling. Hope. The stories of others are easy to draw strength from. The goal is to feel, not to distract. 

1 hour ago, OnceandFuture said:

What I find most comforting in my loneliest moments is to search for music that pulses with the same beat as my heart. I look for the pain in its most grandiose form. Afterward, I sit outside and gaze at the empty, starless city sky, musing about the nature of existence. If those efforts fail, I try to invoke a polar opposite feeling. Hope. The stories of others are easy to draw strength from. The goal is to feel, not to distract. 

i use to love music but anymore it has become a trigger and sets me off, sometimes late at night id get on the MUT (multi use trail)

and start riding as fast as i can (thats when they water) and i try and time the rotating sprinkers so i can get thru without getting hit

2 hours ago, OnceandFuture said:

I guess I seek to distract when I cannot handle feeling anymore.

The past several years have done a number on me, and my heart is broken.  The love of my life left me, my dad died, my family dumped me, my "friends" showed their true colors, I had to leave work because I am too ill, and I may be homeless soon.  My depression has become pervasive and I cannot even function at a level that most would consider minimal.

I'm trying to pass the time until I can get things in order to hopefully have a hospitalization.  I don't want to feel much of anything outside of a hospital, because I'm only hanging on by a thread.

1 hour ago, bbwolf said:

i use to love music but anymore it has become a trigger and sets me off, sometimes late at night id get on the MUT (multi use trail)

and start riding as fast as i can (thats when they water) and i try and time the rotating sprinkers so i can get thru without getting hit

Does your dog ride along for that as well?  :laugh: :EmoticonDogRun:

I know what you mean about the music.  It really depends on how I'm feeling.  I haven't been listening to much music lately, probably because a lot of what I hear brings back awful memories.  Even the songs that don't bring back memories are about things that are foreign to me now.  Sometimes it's hard to want to listen to any of it.

Sadly, not the smartest choice for me , and I don't advise anyone to follow, but I am getting into cigarettes and alcohol as a coping way....I know it's not the smartest thing, but I don't have many other options to turn to . :sniffle1:

Watch plastic bottle hacks, diy cleaning hacks ,hacks in general on youtube it distracts me from .... Well you know .

I also listen to rain , thunderstorms, Forrest , ocean , fireside sound tracks on YouTube .

Edited by Sideofbacon

18 hours ago, LoneSquirrel said:

I guess I seek to distract when I cannot handle feeling anymore.

The past several years have done a number on me, and my heart is broken.  The love of my life left me, my dad died, my family dumped me, my "friends" showed their true colors, I had to leave work because I am too ill, and I may be homeless soon.  My depression has become pervasive and I cannot even function at a level that most would consider minimal.

I'm trying to pass the time until I can get things in order to hopefully have a hospitalization.  I don't want to feel much of anything outside of a hospital, because I'm only hanging on by a thread.

(((Hugs))) :icon12:

On 3/2/2017 at 8:40 AM, ladysmurf said:

Sadly, not the smartest choice for me , and I don't advise anyone to follow, but I am getting into cigarettes and alcohol as a coping way....I know it's not the smartest thing, but I don't have many other options to turn to . :sniffle1:

Well, I hope you will try to minimize your dependence on them so they don't **** you, lady...and keep looking for new possibilities. :console:

On 3/2/2017 at 5:08 PM, Sideofbacon said:

Watch plastic bottle hacks, diy cleaning hacks ,hacks in general on youtube it distracts me from .... Well you know .

I also listen to rain , thunderstorms, Forrest , ocean , fireside sound tracks on YouTube .

I love YouTube.  I also like to watch hack videos and listen to soothing sounds.  I also enjoy survival tips, money-saving and organizational videos.

23 hours ago, Lunachick said:

(((Hugs))) :icon12:

Thanks, Lunachick.

I thought I was well on my way to getting my hospitalization started, but then I remembered that I have a jury duty summons for mid-March. 

I feel like every time I set a goal, something gets in the way.