What Do You Do To Make Yourself Feel Better When You Are Extremely Depressed and Feeling Hopeless?

LoneSquirrel

LoneSquirrel, this is going to sound geeky or is it dorky or nerdy, and I have no idea if this is feasible for you.  What I have done is walk to the library and browse books going to every row and picking something out just like that, not from looking a the catalogue, but I would have an author in mind; then I'd sit and read even if it means a little movement around me from the staff or patrons coming and going.  I'd sometimes do this for hours. 

I know your concentration is low, so it can be just browsing or flipping through a picture book.  When I visualize this, I find it calming.  This way, I can connect to the world, which feels beyond my grasp when I'm feeling really low, yet keep to myself.

20 hours ago, DurandalBlue said:

Hi squirrel,

That's a good question. I always go for walks when I'm down. I'm at Barnes and Noble now because it has a nice peaceful atmosphere here. I guess take some comfort in knowing you aren't the only one feeling depressed and hopeless. Anthony Robbins has a special on Netflix that shows a peek inside one of his seminars. That might help lift you up a bit.

Thanks, DurandalBlue.  I don't have Netflix, actually.  I could never get the player to work on my computer for some reason, so I didn't keep a membership.  Anyway, I'm thinking about what I'm going to do to get through tonight.  

I need to make a list.  Then I can see my options.  And--for some reason--making lists seems to soothe me in and of itself.  Not sure why.

Maybe I'll go for a walk.

20 hours ago, bohemian_artist said:

How about art in some form?  Even doodling, zen tangling, coloring book coloring, scribbling, abstract, finger painting, paper cutouts, anything.  Art / craft can be calming if it suits you; and in my wording I meant to imply that it doesn't have to be 'fine art' or anything...  Sending positive vibes. :icon12:

I do like to do crafts.  Unfortunately, most of my craft stuff is in my garage.  I'm getting ready for a garage sale, so that if I become homeless I will have the money rather than the things.  It makes me sad to think about getting rid of just about all of my stuff.  I'm not sure I even want to think of crafts, but maybe I'll pick something that I don't need a lot of supplies to do and keep it.  I used to make friendship bracelets from embroidery floss.  Maybe I will hold onto that stuff, because it doesn't take up much space.  Plus, I've seen some people wearing bracelets like that recently, so maybe they're "in" again.

Thank you, bohemian_artist. :rose:

19 hours ago, evalynn said:

How about listening to some favorite music? Something that really inspires you or that you find beautiful. Also, sometimes I look at photos of happy occasions. 

Thanks, evalynn.  My photos are all packed away.  Honestly, I think they would just make me feel worse.  But there's always music.

Music used to play a much bigger part in my life.  Now I'm looking at my double bass and feeling sad, because I'm going to have to sell it.

I keep trying to tell myself that all of that is in the past, and it's time for a new life...whatever that may be.

I'm really hoping for something positive.  I can't keep going downhill.  Just waiting to die is no way to live.

18 hours ago, gs22 said:

LoneSquirrel, this is going to sound geeky or is it dorky or nerdy, and I have no idea if this is feasible for you.  What I have done is walk to the library and browse books going to every row and picking something out just like that, not from looking a the catalogue, but I would have an author in mind; then I'd sit and read even if it means a little movement around me from the staff or patrons coming and going.  I'd sometimes do this for hours. 

I know your concentration is low, so it can be just browsing or flipping through a picture book.  When I visualize this, I find it calming.  This way, I can connect to the world, which feels beyond my grasp when I'm feeling really low, yet keep to myself.

That's not a bad idea.  Maybe it would help me feel less anxious around people.

Thanks, gs22. 

I watch depressing movies or write poems anything with a really depressing atmosphere, I don't know why it helps me but it works and the depression passes after a while. Maybe it makes me feel less alone that im not the only one who feels that way. Comedy helps me to usually something cynical I like bill burr or George Carlin. 

Edited by scienceguy

On 28.02.2017 at 2:08 AM, LonelyHiker said:

I don't know what the light pollution is like where you live, or if you have access to binoculars (not absolutely necessary), but stargazing can be a fun activity. There are all kinds of phone apps with star/planet charts that can help locate all kinds of cool objects, even satellites. I've always found amateur astronomy fascinating, and there have been many a stressful time when simply going outside and looking at the night sky has given me a little bit of peace.

that is beautiful! Not many people even look up at the sky anymore.

On 28.02.2017 at 2:16 AM, LoneSquirrel said:

Maybe I need to watch some Louis C.K. stand up or something.  That sometimes helps.  I'm finding it hard to laugh right now, but maybe Louis can help me.

Ohh, if you like Louis CK, I recommend Aziz Ansari and Nick Offerman! I think they're on Netflix too. I love Tim Minchin too, though that's more musical stuff than standup.

On 28.02.2017 at 2:28 AM, felix_a_cat said:

Maybe I shouldn't ask, "does that make any sense" but instead, "can you get lost in a tv show or movie, or does your depression/depressive thoughts poke through and make it unenjoyable?"

On 28.02.2017 at 2:35 AM, LoneSquirrel said:

I know what you mean.  I have a hard time paying attention.  What I wind up doing is putting on a movie and pausing it several times throughout the movie, because I can't watch it in one stretch.  I used to not watch movies at all, or many t.v. shows, because it's so hard to get engrossed in them.  I've found that breaking them up into small segments tends to make it easier for me to watch something, but it doesn't always work.

Watching stand up comedy is usually a little easier for me, but there are only a few comedians I find funny enough to hold my attention for very long.

Watching tv series (interestingly, not movies) is what I had been doing all this time to distract myself. It worked wonderfully as long as the series is Really Good, well developed interesting characters, a nice structure, good plot... as long as it's quality stuff I get lost in it. Or...I used to, idk. I recently stopped enjoying shows that much, no idea why. I blame it on the meds.

On 28.02.2017 at 3:48 AM, LonelyHiker said:

Not sure if it's available on Hulu, but the new Cosmos series with Neil Degrasse Tyson is really really good

Ohh, I was meaning to watch that! :nod:

On 28.02.2017 at 4:48 AM, bohemian_artist said:

How about art in some form?  Even doodling, zen tangling, coloring book coloring, scribbling, abstract, finger painting, paper cutouts, anything.  Art / craft can be calming if it suits you; and in my wording I meant to imply that it doesn't have to be 'fine art' or anything...  Sending positive vibes. :icon12:

I recommend adult coloring books. It's not stressful because you don't have to make decisions about what to draw, just make it nice and colorful.;3

(I realized I could write this stuff in one post, who's proud of me?)

OK, I know it's too late but anyway. Just putting in my bit. So I used to watch tv series (or anime), but now I'm kind of also looking for something to do. I feel like the problem with focusing too much is that I only focus a specific part of my mind, and the rest kind of gets in with its depressive feelings and ideas... like these things feel closer/more intense because my mind becomes clearer. It's easier to loose in chaos. Though sometimes just breathing, exercising mindfulness can help - because it's more about physical existence than thoughts. About feeling the air around me, ground underneath me, grass against my feet. People stop bothering me as much too: they're just part of everything around, connected, intertwined.

Recently I've been looking for some distracting action though. But everything seems to need too much of my attention (my interests tend to need a "mind/thought/logical effort"). I've been thinking about knitting! The focus is needed, but for the practical doing of it, figuring out the patterns etc. Kind of like friendship bracelets!

Otherwise though, I just walk around smoking and listening to music.

Edited by Azealia

what i do is go for long bicycle rides 20 + miles or so, i use to carry camera with me cause you never know what you gonna see, im surprised pics of me isnt all over the internet, i ride a recumbent tricycle, which alot of people never seen one before, and my little terrier mix somehow balances on my shoulder as i ride, she looks like a parrot on a pirates shoulder, people always taking pics of us as we ride down the rode, that actually cheers me up

8 hours ago, Azealia said:

that is beautiful! Not many people even look up at the sky anymore.

I use Skyview, and it is amazing. All in real time, you can even follow the iss in real time.. You can search for things and a little arrow will point you in the rughr direction.. And you can click on things and get more info. 

11 hours ago, scienceguy said:

I watch depressing movies or write poems anything with a really depressing atmosphere, I don't know why it helps me but it works and the depression passes after a while. Maybe it makes me feel less alone that im not the only one who feels that way. Comedy helps me to usually something cynical I like bill burr or George Carlin. 

I find that when I'm really down, "depressing" songs don't seem depressing to me anymore.  That's when I know I probably need help.

4 minutes ago, LoneSquirrel said:

I find that when I'm really down, "depressing" songs don't seem depressing to me anymore.  That's when I know I probably need help.

Me too. If I'm listening to Amy Winehouse, Fiona Apple, or old blues songs....forget about it. Misery loves company and I only want to listen to sad songs when I'm  in a dark place.

10 hours ago, Azealia said:

OK, I know it's too late but anyway. Just putting in my bit. So I used to watch tv series (or anime), but now I'm kind of also looking for something to do. I feel like the problem with focusing too much is that I only focus a specific part of my mind, and the rest kind of gets in with its depressive feelings and ideas... like these things feel closer/more intense because my mind becomes clearer. It's easier to loose in chaos. Though sometimes just breathing, exercising mindfulness can help - because it's more about physical existence than thoughts. About feeling the air around me, ground underneath me, grass against my feet. People stop bothering me as much too: they're just part of everything around, connected, intertwined.

Recently I've been looking for some distracting action though. But everything seems to need too much of my attention (my interests tend to need a "mind/thought/logical effort"). I've been thinking about knitting! The focus is needed, but for the practical doing of it, figuring out the patterns etc. Kind of like friendship bracelets!

Otherwise though, I just walk around smoking and listening to music.

I think I need more physical activities as well, and there are times when I'll try just about anything to get through the night...except for things that require effort.  ::sigh::  Sometimes it feels like just picking up my limbs is too much to ask.

I've thought about picking up smoking again.  It's not a good idea, I know.  I quit in 2013, but now I'm starting to feel the old cravings coming back.  

To anyone who hasn't ever smoked cigarettes, just don't.  It's not worth trying.  You'll just have a new problem to contend with.  

8 hours ago, bbwolf said:

what i do is go for long bicycle rides 20 + miles or so, i use to carry camera with me cause you never know what you gonna see, im surprised pics of me isnt all over the internet, i ride a recumbent tricycle, which alot of people never seen one before, and my little terrier mix somehow balances on my shoulder as i ride, she looks like a parrot on a pirates shoulder, people always taking pics of us as we ride down the rode, that actually cheers me up

:laugh:  I'll bet it cheers up a lot of people to see you and your doggy too, bb. :EmoticonDogRun:

4 minutes ago, LoneSquirrel said:

I think I need more physical activities as well, and there are times when I'll try just about anything to get through the night...except for things that require effort.  ::sigh::  Sometimes it feels like just picking up my limbs is too much to ask.

I've thought about picking up smoking again.  It's not a good idea, I know.  I quit in 2013, but now I'm starting to feel the old cravings coming back.  

To anyone who hasn't ever smoked cigarettes, just don't.  It's not worth trying.  You'll just have a new problem to contend with.  

Truth! Though it is the only reason I get out of the house eh. Don't start again!

I didnt mean to encourage smoking, more the walking music part!:3

Edited by Azealia

1 hour ago, Lunachick said:

I use Skyview, and it is amazing. All in real time, you can even follow the iss in real time.. You can search for things and a little arrow will point you in the rughr direction.. And you can click on things and get more info. 

What is Skyview, Lunachick?  Is that an app?

22 minutes ago, evalynn said:

Me too. If I'm listening to Amy Winehouse, Fiona Apple, or old blues songs....forget about it. Misery loves company and I only want to listen to sad songs when I'm  in a dark place.

I'm okay listening to Fiona Apple and Amy Winehouse songs, but when I'm listening to "Something I Can Never Have" by Nine Inch Nails, and it doesn't really seem sad, I know there's a problem.

5 minutes ago, Azealia said:

Truth! Though it is the only reason I get out of the house eh. Don't start again!

I know I shouldn't, but the urge keeps showing up.  

I feel like addictive things are fairly easy for me to kick when I have something in my life that is good and/or I feel okay, but when I'm way down in a hole, forget it.

I didn't even have much going for me when I quit smoking, I just wasn't that depressed or anxious, so I didn't feel like I needed it at the time.