What Do You Do To Make Yourself Feel Better When You Are Extremely Depressed and Feeling Hopeless?

LoneSquirrel

I need to do something tonight that will make me feel better.

If the weather allows, I may sit in front of a fire pit and watch the flames.  That tends to calm me, but I'm not sure if it will make me feel less down.

Does anyone have any practical suggestions?

My concentration is really really poor at this point, so I probably won't be able to read or do anything that requires much cohesive thought.

I'm hoping you guys have some ideas; I'm really struggling, and I need to make it through the night.

I don't have anyone to call or anyone to do anything with.  I also don't have any money.  Or any faith that God will help me.  Or anything I can point to as a reason to keep going.

I just need something to distract me, I guess, and make me not feel quite so hopeless and down.

If you can come up with anything, thanks in advance.

Also, feel free to continue replying after tonight has already passed, as I'm sure I'll need your advice again later as well.

Thank you,

Squirrel

Hi Squirrel,

I so enjoy your "Squirrel" posts that feature pictures of squirrels!!!  Just had to say that.

I am so strange that I can't give advice that others can usually relate to.  When I am feeling really down I usually feel better if I help someone:   give water to some plants, food to some animals [including squirrels!], comfort or encouragement or some understanding to someone who is down.  If I am quarantined due to illness I use the computer to try to do something for someone. . . I don't know . . . go on FB and "like" someone's posts of photos or cat videos.  Yeah I know, that's weird.  You have certainly helped me so many times by your squirrel posts . . . they bring light into my darkness.  Thanks!!!   Hope you find some better answers and distractions than mine!!!  - epictetus     :console:

26 minutes ago, Epictetus said:

Hi Squirrel,

I so enjoy your "Squirrel" posts that feature pictures of squirrels!!!  Just had to say that.

I am so strange that I can't give advice that others can usually relate to.  When I am feeling really down I usually feel better if I help someone:   give water to some plants, food to some animals [including squirrels!], comfort or encouragement or some understanding to someone who is down.  If I am quarantined due to illness I use the computer to try to do something for someone. . . I don't know . . . go on FB and "like" someone's posts of photos or cat videos.  Yeah I know, that's weird.  You have certainly helped me so many times by your squirrel posts . . . they bring light into my darkness.  Thanks!!!   Hope you find some better answers and distractions than mine!!!  - epictetus     :console:

Thanks, epictetus. :rose:

I used to really enjoy posting those pictures.  It made me really sad when the site stopped allowing them.  Sometimes funny or cute pictures can really brighten a person's day, so it's a shame they aren't allowed on a depression forum.

I do like to help too.  I just don't know if I can do it with words right now.  Maybe I can do it other ways.

I really appreciate your answer, epictetus.  It means a lot to me that you care enough to have posted it, and you are right that it is rewarding to help others.  I'm not sure what would be the best way to do that right now, but I'll give it some thought.

Thanks again. :flowers:

2 minutes ago, Epictetus said:

I didn't know about the pictures.  I guess it has to do with computer viruses or something.  I hope  you find something that helps your extreme depression and hopelessness.  You don't deserve to suffer Squirrel ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Thanks, Epictetus.  I hope I find something too.  I hope we can all find some relief.

Hi LoneSquirrel, my heart is with you tonight. I'm feeling so low, it's quite bad. I'll need to take my own advice as well. Do you like games like chess or card games? You could play some online?

Or hang out in a chat room? There are chats available here and other places on the internet.

Maybe a walk? Try taking a walk and concentrate on feeling what your feet feel like on each step.

Sorry you're in pain tonight.

I don't know what the light pollution is like where you live, or if you have access to binoculars (not absolutely necessary), but stargazing can be a fun activity. There are all kinds of phone apps with star/planet charts that can help locate all kinds of cool objects, even satellites. I've always found amateur astronomy fascinating, and there have been many a stressful time when simply going outside and looking at the night sky has given me a little bit of peace.

Edited by LonelyHiker

9 minutes ago, felix_a_cat said:

Hi LoneSquirrel, my heart is with you tonight. I'm feeling so low, it's quite bad. I'll need to take my own advice as well. Do you like games like chess or card games? You could play some online?

Or hang out in a chat room? There are chats available here and other places on the internet.

Maybe a walk? Try taking a walk and concentrate on feeling what your feet feel like on each step.

Sorry you're in pain tonight.

Thanks, Felix.  I hope you'll do well tonight.

I'm not really into chess or card games, but maybe there is something I can do online that is interactive that will take my mind off of things.  I may wind up in chat tonight; I don't know.

Walking is something I used to do.  I don't know why, but the thought of it makes me sad.  Maybe because it reminds me of how far down I've fallen.  I don't really feel that good either (physically).  I feel like someone drugged me or something, and my head hurts.  I don't know why.

I may try to watch a movie, or some shows on hulu, if I can find something that appeals to me.

I'm starting to feel agitated.  I hope I can get rid of that feeling.  If it's not one thing, it's another.

1 minute ago, LonelyHiker said:

I don't know what the light pollution is like where you live, or if you have access to binoculars (not absolutely necessary), but stargazing can be a fun activity. There are all kinds of phone apps that with star/planet charts that can help locate all kinds of cool objects, even satellites. I've always found amateur astronomy fascinating, and there have been many a stressful time when simply going outside and looking at the night sky has given me a little bit of peace.

I think I may have my dad's old binoculars around here somewhere.  If I can see through the clouds and trees, that could be a good thing to do.

Thanks, LH!!

5 minutes ago, LoneSquirrel said:

I think I may have my dad's old binoculars around here somewhere.  If I can see through the clouds and trees, that could be a good thing to do.

Thanks, LH!!

You'd be amazed at what an even small pair of binoculars can reveal! 

If I can think of any other suggestions, I'll be sure to post them!

PS Don't know if you're a George Carlin fan, but his stuff always cheers me up when I'm feeling really low!

I have a question regarding watching TV and movies when you're depressed, if you don't mind. I tend to avoid them because, well for one I'm not that interested in doing anything at all, but for another, I usually can't "get lost" in the show and my negative mental state pokes through and I feel bad because I can't enjoy something I used to enjoy. So I avoid TV and movies. It's almost like I'm afraid to try them sometimes as a way to feel better because I don't want to find out I don't like doing it. Does that make any sense? Probably not! I'm pretty messed up :(

9 minutes ago, LonelyHiker said:

You'd be amazed at what an even small pair of binoculars can reveal! 

If I can think of any other suggestions, I'll be sure to post them!

PS Don't know if you're a George Carlin fan, but his stuff always cheers me up when I'm feeling really low!

Thanks, LH.

I will have to look for George Carlin stuff too; I haven't watched any of his stuff in years.

7 minutes ago, felix_a_cat said:

I have a question regarding watching TV and movies when you're depressed, if you don't mind. I tend to avoid them because, well for one I'm not that interested in doing anything at all, but for another, I usually can't "get lost" in the show and my negative mental state pokes through and I feel bad because I can't enjoy something I used to enjoy. So I avoid TV and movies. It's almost like I'm afraid to try them sometimes as a way to feel better because I don't want to find out I don't like doing it. Does that make any sense? Probably not! I'm pretty messed up :(

I know what you mean.  I have a hard time paying attention.  What I wind up doing is putting on a movie and pausing it several times throughout the movie, because I can't watch it in one stretch.  I used to not watch movies at all, or many t.v. shows, because it's so hard to get engrossed in them.  I've found that breaking them up into small segments tends to make it easier for me to watch something, but it doesn't always work.

Watching stand up comedy is usually a little easier for me, but there are only a few comedians I find funny enough to hold my attention for very long.

Squirrel, If you end up watching tv, I just finished the series Humans-- it was on Amazon... I loved it, found it very distracting. It is a PBS (British) series, and may be available on other venues than Amazon (the first season was free with my amazon prime membership). Hoping you feel better soon!!! Sending you hugs!!!!! 

Hi Squirrel,  I know exactly how you feel.  I feel like I spend most of my time trying to find a reason to keep going on.  Staying busy helps me when I'm feeling really down.  It's hard when the weather is bad, like here in Oregon when it just keeps raining and raining so getting outside isn't really an option.  I have found that coloring is very helpful for me, also writing in my journal.  I write down all my feelings, everything, I can swear whatever I need to do to get my emotions out.  Also deep breathing and doing stretching and yoga can calm me down at times.  It's really hard when you feel so bad, but try to hang in there, if you feel like you can't call the crisis line and talk to someone, but don't give up!  I'll keep checking this post to see how you are doing.

23 minutes ago, lex333 said:

Squirrel, If you end up watching tv, I just finished the series Humans-- it was on Amazon... I loved it, found it very distracting. It is a PBS (British) series, and may be available on other venues than Amazon (the first season was free with my amazon prime membership). Hoping you feel better soon!!! Sending you hugs!!!!! 

Thanks, lex.  :rose:

It's good to find a series you enjoy.  Most of what's coming out now is crap, IMO, so when there's something good on it seems kind of miraculous.  I just have hulu, but there are some things on there I like watching.

19 minutes ago, felix_a_cat said:

Sometimes if I don't want to be reminded of the world and of myself I'll throw on footage of nature that Netflix has. Like just a river flowing for a waterfall. Not super interesting, or at all interesting, but it's something on in the background.

I like to have something on as well.  It makes me feel less anxious to have something on.  There are some good YouTube videos like what you are describing.  Unfortunately, since I had to have my hard drive replaced, the computer shuts off at random times.  That bothers me.

6 minutes ago, cariv said:

Hi Squirrel,  I know exactly how you feel.  I feel like I spend most of my time trying to find a reason to keep going on.  Staying busy helps me when I'm feeling really down.  It's hard when the weather is bad, like here in Oregon when it just keeps raining and raining so getting outside isn't really an option.  I have found that coloring is very helpful for me, also writing in my journal.  I write down all my feelings, everything, I can swear whatever I need to do to get my emotions out.  Also deep breathing and doing stretching and yoga can calm me down at times.  It's really hard when you feel so bad, but try to hang in there, if you feel like you can't call the crisis line and talk to someone, but don't give up!  I'll keep checking this post to see how you are doing.

I probably need to journal again, and stretch.  It feels like a chore to me though.  I don't know why.  I guess it's just an indication of how bad my depression has become.

Thank you for your kind post, cariv.  I may wind up calling that crisis line again.

Hi squirrel,

That's a good question. I always go for walks when I'm down. I'm at Barnes and Noble now because it has a nice peaceful atmosphere here. I guess take some comfort in knowing you aren't the only one feeling depressed and hopeless. Anthony Robbins has a special on Netflix that shows a peek inside one of his seminars. That might help lift you up a bit.

How about art in some form?  Even doodling, zen tangling, coloring book coloring, scribbling, abstract, finger painting, paper cutouts, anything.  Art / craft can be calming if it suits you; and in my wording I meant to imply that it doesn't have to be 'fine art' or anything...  Sending positive vibes. :icon12: