Sign in to follow this  
Kellyb79

Will anxiety and panic attacks ever go away, or are they just gonna linger for us forever

I haven't been on in quite awhile. Not to avoid the page or group buy any means, as you've all been nothing but helpful since I joined. I guess I've just been in a major funk for the past month or so, plus I've had a lot going on. 

I know the best thing to do when I feel that way is to hop on here, as it seemed to help the most. But for some reason I didn't. I don't even know why. But I'm realizing now that I should've, every time a funk hit. 

Overall I'm doing ok I suppose. But I still feel like an emotional wreck quite a bit. I'm still anxious every single day. Especially in the morning. Sometimes I feel something triggered it, and other times it still strikes out of the blue. And though not every single night, in waking up in the middle of the night with panic attacks too. Sometimes 2-3 times a night. Racing heart, can't breathe, shaking. Ya know, typical panic attack stuff. And dreams.. My dreams have been so jacked lately. Rarely are they good ones. So of course I'm not sleeping right. 

And then there's the fact that my mind feels like it's going 5000 directions at once, at 5000 mph. So I can't ever focus on anything, or remember anything for that matter. Ugh. I know I've had anxiety for years, and depression for a bit too now. But wth. Will the panicky feeling and attacks ever go away? It's ridiculous. It's annoying, and it's exhausting. 

Anyway, sorry for the babble. Just haven't vented on here in awhile, and felt I needed to. At least when I got on here one a day minimum, I felt just a little less on edge. So I need to make it a point to do that every day again, even for a few minutes. Thank you all for always being here and listening to me. I have people who are there for me and try their best to understand what it's like, but they just can't. Which I can't blame them. Unless you deal with it first hand, you really can't understand. 

1 hour ago, lex333 said:

WB Kellyb79!!!! I hope that getting back on the forum is helpful.. panic attacks are awful I am sorry you are suffering from them and hope that you get relief soon!

Thank you. I'll be on as much as possible. I've really missed and needed this group. I knew this page/group helped me, but I didn't realize how much until I was off for a bit. 

Hi, Kelly! I'm not sure how long you've had panic disorder, but... I've had it since 2009. I was on Prozac until 2016 when I thought I didn't need it anymore.. And discovered I was wrong in January of this year. I'm back on Prozac and am still waiting for it to take full effect (I'm on day 40 today, day 26 at 40 mg).

My point is, from my experience, it went away almost completely when I was on meds. Had I gone from 20 to 40 mg like my doctor recommended in the past, they likely would have gone away completely. Even staying at 20 mg, I would have a panic attack maybe once every few months and it would be small enough that i could get myself out of it within seconds to minutes. 

I guess I'm just trying to say that it got better for me in the past, and I am counting on it to get better, again, for all of us.

I wish you all the best in your journey and look forward to getting to know you!

I've had terrible anxiety and a panic disorder from 2010 to 2013, sometimes with multiple panic attacks a day. At the time I had to take 2mg Klonopin + betablockers + Xanax as needed to control it. After about 3 years my panic attacks stopped and I was able to get off meds and haven't had a full blown panic attack since. I still have a small level of anxiety and frequently get tachycardia and other symptoms but while uncomfortable it no longer leads to panic attacks so it definitely got better. Anxiety no longer controls my life. I didn't really do anything special, no therapy or anything, it just got better on its own so there's hope. 

@Lunachick,I had my first panic attack when I was about 13. They got so bad that I couldn't even leave the house, but with some medication, they finally chilled out a bit after awhile. Since then, I'd have some here and there, mainly when I'm dealing with a lot of stress, and over anxious. I'm on xanax as needed, and that's been for awhile. And I'm now also into my 3rd month of. lexipro which I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about it, and what it's doing for help and how much. I hope things get better for you. I know things could always be worse, but I know how bad these suck. 

@Diego_Sebastian, I'm glad you've never had to deal with a panic attack, but if you ever do for any reason, you know you have people here that can relate. So you are definitely not alone. Panic attacks or not though, anxiety as a while sucks as it is. It's very emotionally and mentally draining, and can feel scary. We're all here for you. 

@lonelyforeigner, I'm happy to know that things have gotten better for you as far as the panic attacks go. But I'm sorry that you still have to deal with the anxiety at all. Good for you for not letting it control your life. I try not to let out control mine, but as you already know, sometimes it's easier said than done. But I'll keep trying every day. 

Thank you all for your kind words, and thank you for being here to listen while I'm feeling like this tonight. Well, just in general lately. It's just a little high tonight. 

4 minutes ago, Teddy545 said:

My therapist said they won't completely go away but they can get a lot less frequent.  People need a lower level of anxiety to get things done and panic for rare situations.  It sounded like I will still get random panic attacks no matter what.

Well that sucks, but I guess that sorta makes sense. I hope you won't have to deal with those at all someday(as I hope for everyone on here). In the meantime, we'll all just have to help each other through those moments. 

Hi everyone.  I am new here, and my issue is isolation and sadness.  But that is another topic.  

One thing I can help with though is panic attacks.  I was 18 (I am now 58) when I started to have horrible panic attacks and could not leave my house for two years.  I went to a therapist and then finally a Psychiatrist.  What helped me most, was three paperback books written by Dr. Claire Weekes.  When I read these books, I felt as though they were written just for me.  Every symptom, fear, nervous feeling, skipped heart beats, etc. were all addressed.  The name of the books are..."Peace from Nervous Suffering"..."Hope and Help for your Nerves"....and "More Hope and Help for your Nerves".  These books can be found in your library, or local bookstore, and they can also be downloaded from Amazon.  If anyone has trouble locating these writings by Dr. Claire Weekes, please contact me and I will get the books for you and send them to you.  I was so deep in the throes of panic attacks, and terrified all the time. These three books helped me more than all my years in therapy.  If you are unsure, please google Dr. Claire Weekes, and I believe there is also a video of her work on You Tube.  

I pray that my suggestion of the above books can help anyone dealing with panic attacks.  By the way, they do and can go away.  You need not suffer for life of these debilitating attacks.

God Bless.

11 hours ago, andiegirl said:

Hi everyone.  I am new here, and my issue is isolation and sadness.  But that is another topic.  

One thing I can help with though is panic attacks.  I was 18 (I am now 58) when I started to have horrible panic attacks and could not leave my house for two years.  I went to a therapist and then finally a Psychiatrist.  What helped me most, was three paperback books written by Dr. Claire Weekes.  When I read these books, I felt as though they were written just for me.  Every symptom, fear, nervous feeling, skipped heart beats, etc. were all addressed.  The name of the books are..."Peace from Nervous Suffering"..."Hope and Help for your Nerves"....and "More Hope and Help for your Nerves".  These books can be found in your library, or local bookstore, and they can also be downloaded from Amazon.  If anyone has trouble locating these writings by Dr. Claire Weekes, please contact me and I will get the books for you and send them to you.  I was so deep in the throes of panic attacks, and terrified all the time. These three books helped me more than all my years in therapy.  If you are unsure, please google Dr. Claire Weekes, and I believe there is also a video of her work on You Tube.  

I pray that my suggestion of the above books can help anyone dealing with panic attacks.  By the way, they do and can go away.  You need not suffer for life of these debilitating attacks.

God Bless.

Thank you. And welcome to the page. This is an ending page, with an amazing group of people. I'm sorry you've had to desk with these as well, and especially for so long. But we totally get it. 

Thank you for the book suggestions. I will most definitely be looking into those, and will let you know if I have any trouble. Take care of yourself

11 hours ago, andiegirl said:

God Bless.

@andiegirl

To expand upon your suggestion, this website (http://archive.is/uQspw) is helping me so much... And he attributes his suggestions to Weekes.. So for anyone who can't get The books right now, I definitely recommend reading his entry about it.