Bad Teeth and Low Self-esteem...

makeitlife

I'm not entirely sure why, but I've never been good at taking care of my teeth, as well I'm told bad teeth are hereditary in my family.. I'm sure in part it has to do with my depression, which is known to cause people not to keep up on hygiene like they should... Otherwise somewhat recently I found out I'm Vitamin D deficient which could definitely affect my teeth as well. 

I'm only 22 currently, but my teeth are jacked up! Quite a few are cracked, have holes, and have begun to erode away at the gums.. One of my front teeth is pretty much completely gone, all that's left is a stump... Luckily it's not one of my two front teeth, but the tooth right next to them. I don't smile with my mouth open because of it, and I constantly fear others will notice when I talk. 

Just the other night my little nephew who is only about 2 years old asked "what happened?" when he noticed my broken tooth.. I just about started to cry because of my severe lack of self-esteem caused by this... I don't have the money to get my teeth fixed, and I don't want to go to a dentist because I feel I might be judged for how bad my teeth are..... 

I suppose it may sound petty, but I do also think this could be body dysmorphic order.. Which I likely have since I've always been overweight and have had some body hate issues because of it. Recently I actually lost about 60 lbs in total, but my new antipsychotic Zyprexa is putting it back on... I've gained back about 20 pounds so far :/ plus I haven't been working, and I haven't really been active much at all. I should probably start working out but it's hard because I also have chronic fatigue, and if I push myself too hard, I'll be terribly fatigued for days after.. 

I suppose it's just a pressure of society to have good teeth and to not be overweight, but it hurts... 

@CoolCat7

Thanks for your reply. I actually do currently have dental coverage, because I haven't actually quit my job yet as I recently applied for disability.. Maybe I should check to see what's covered... I'm really not sure, it just seems like it would be expensive. 

Don't worry.everyone has some flaw they want covered.., hell I'm missing a tooth..thank god its in the back lol.. I also have bad teeth..

They're sensitive to cold and heat and ..although they aren't cracked and stuff.. 

But I'm also losing my hair to alopecia.. 

So idk, things can always be much worse.., thank goodness we don't have all the worlds struggles at once right ? Lol (poverty,balding,no teeth, psoriasis,cystic acne, sway back..ect.)

Now that would be depressing.

Chin up :)

I can empathize with those type of feelings. I have an excoriation disorder that has been ever-present since I was about 11. I have different types of scars and wounds completely covering my arms and parts of my legs. It's sort of correlated with self-injury, depression, anxiety and all that stuff combined. Its gets worse and better in waves over the years. I never uncover my arms in public. I can't imagine how I would cope if I were no longer able to just pull sleeves over it.

You do deserve to feel better about it, though. Even if it doesn't seem that way for whatever reason we might tell ourselves. Sometimes universities and colleges will offer reduced or free dental care from people studying, it might be worth looking into.

I wish you luck, to be able to feel happy with yourself.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this - I have a lot of dental problems, too, and it really sucks. And I get that the sentiment of the poster above who says not to worry and that it could always be worse, but I don't imagine that that's really helpful to hear. Just because there might be something worse doesn't mean that what you're dealing with is trivial.

And actually, dental health can have a huge effect on your life. In the US, our culture really encourages smiling & being happy a lot of the time, which I think is even worse now that selfies are an every day thing for a lot of people. Plus it's possible there's a link between gum disease and other health problems like heart disease (though I don't think scientists know exactly what the link is).

And not to scare you, but even with dental insurance, anything more than a cleaning can get expensive. I second the idea of seeing if there's a dental school clinic near you. There's one near me that has much cheaper rates for serious dental work, plus the do screenings at least once a year to find people who senior students can work on as part of their exams, which can lead to free treatments. Also, I know several people, my aunt and uncle included, who have done "dental tourism" - going to a dentist in another country (like Mexico where a lot of dentists have studied in the US) that is a lot cheaper for dental work. The people I know who have done that have been very happy with the care they got.

• 4 years later...

The real truth is people are too stuck on themselves.  They absolutely do not realize you have bad teeth unless you bring it up.  I didn't smile for years.  At the end there was hardly anything left.  When you get dentures or implants even when you're that bad you'll get comments even from family saying I didn't realize you had bad teeth.

I'm to the point where I've gone back to the basics on everything I guess.  Toothpaste and mouthwash give me a fresh mouth so I'll stick with it for now.  That's it I'll trust my own experience.  Beyond that I don't trust a word that comes out of anyone's mouth about anything anymore.

On 4/16/2021 at 10:47 AM, Suzuhara said:

This problem is solvable.

Suzuhara, problem is, many of the people who post here on this problem, don't have the money to afford them.  They don't implant them free at dental colleges or public health care.  They are expensive.  🤠

Bulgakov

1 hour ago, Bulgakov said:

Suzuhara, problem is, many of the people who post here on this problem, don't have the money to afford them.  They don't implant them free at dental colleges or public health care.  They are expensive.  🤠

Bulgakov

I'm one of them. I've had crappy teeth since I was young. Much of my young adult life was spent in the dentist chair. I'm surprised I haven't been poisoned from the amount of mercury in my mouth as a result of fillings--every tooth has at least one. A few years ago, my teeth started cracking and falling apart. I couldn't afford to visit the dentist so they have progressively gotten worse over time. I've had 4 yanked so far and some of the others are just gone.

I got quoted $18,000 US to get the implants. That's $17,700 more than I have. Rent and food come before my appearance (which ain't much to begin with).

Edited by JD4010

• 3 months later...

I hate how I can get help but I won't be able to cause of time management issues in my family and insurence is bad, I think and they just don't put the time in for me and they know it.