Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Inbetween

Get back on abilify after 3 weeks?

Recommended Posts

So im getting off abilify because it raised by blood sugar and cholesterol. Its been 21 days. Im having depression and anxiety. I dont see my pdoc for 2 more months. She recommended that i get back on the abilify, but i was hoping that thos would go away and get better. I dont know when to call it done and get back on the abilify vs toughing it out and waiting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could  try reinstating the abilify but at a reduced dose. You can help your blood sugar and cholesterol by cutting down on sugars and increasing fibre. Try eating whole grain and unprocessed foods. Lots of lean meats,vegetables,fruit,fibre,nuts,seeds,greek yogurt. Try to eat like our ancestors did. That miight mitigate the side effects of the abilify. Where you already eating healthy while on abilify?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes what Cat and jay suggested is awesome. I guess i'm lucky that I have had a good experience with it. I'm sorry that it hasn't been so good for you. I would suggest to go with your gut if Cat's suggestions don't work. Go with your gut, maybe what your pdoc said is right, maybe it's not - or maybe you could see a GP in the interim?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it were me, I'd try taking a really good omega-3 supplement (not one of the crappy "Fish Oil" supplements...)

I mean something like this: *link removed*

It's a little pricey, but it's worth it. Something with more than 1000 mg of total omega-3 fatty acids.

In fact, if your insurance will pay for it still (mine quit paying for it, jerks...), it'd be even better to go to your gdoc and see if you can get a prescription for Lovaza (omega-3 acid ethyl esters). If your insurance doesn't pay for it, there's a new prescription product they make product called Vascepa (icosapent ethyl) that is a prodrug to just EPA (4000 mg of it) (there's also a coupon on their website I believe that will save on copay). EPA is known to help with depression, too.

This is more for triglycerides but may have an effect on cholesterol too.

Also, as for your blood sugar, you could probably ask your gdoc about getting an oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) to see how your glucose tolerance is. If you are beginning to show any signs of insulin resistance, s/he may want to put you on something like metformin (ER) as a first line med for pre-diabetes to keep you from developing full-blown diabetes. If metformin doesn't work and you have the insurance to pay for it, I would highly recommend Victoza (liraglutide). It dropped my A1c from 5.8% to 5.0% in a matter of 3 months. I'm technically no longer diabetic, but I still take it because apparently they've discovered and are doing clinical trials for benefits for bipolar individuals for mood stability for bipolar depression and cognitive deficits associated with bipolar disorder, plus it helps you lose weight (which those benefits have long since stopped), and is cardioprotective. As my doctor said when I asked him what he thought about it, "it's one hell of a drug!"

Depending on how high your cholesterol has been raised, your gdoc may want to put you on a statin. There are varying intensities of statin therapy according to what drug and what dosage is used. For example:

  • Low-Intensity Statin Therapy
    [Lowers LDL-C by < 30%]
    fluvastatin 20-40 mg/day; lovastatin 20 mg/day; pitavastatin 1 mg/day; pravastatin 10-20 mg/day; simvastatin 10 mg/day
  • Moderate-Intensity Statin Therapy
    [Lowers LDL-C by 30-49%]
    atorvastatin 10-20 mg/day; fluvastatin 80 mg/day; lovastatin 40 mg/day; pitavastatin 2-4 mg/day; pravastatin 40-80 mg/day; rosuvastatin 5-10 mg/day; simvastatin 20-40 mg/day
  • High-Intensity Statin Therapy
    [Lowers LDL-C by > 50%]
    atorvastatin 40-80 mg/day; rosuvastatin 20-40 mg/day

I've heard there are some cognitive deficits associated with statin therapy, but that's just hearsay and not from any research I've done.

As for some natural supplements... You could try taking garlic, green tea, and coQ10. Niacin is another supplement which may reduce cholesterol and triglycerides, but it requires high doses that requires slow titration, and can actually increase glucose resistance over time, so probably isn't such a good idea. Soy and whey protein are both good for lowering cholesterol, whey protein probably being better.

Despite these supplements, I've read that a statin medication may still be necessary if your cholesterol is high enough.

I must say though, it's odd that Abilify would do all that to you. If Abilify does that to you, then I can't imagine what your next go-to medicine would be... Maybe Geodon? Rexulti? Vraylar?

Anyway, I wish you good luck! :) 

Edited by Natasha1
link removed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

If it were me, I'd try taking a really good omega-3 supplement (not one of the crappy "Fish Oil" supplements...)

I mean something like this: *link removed*

It's a little pricey, but it's worth it. Something with more than 1000 mg of total omega-3 fatty acids.

In fact, if your insurance will pay for it still (mine quit paying for it, jerks...), it'd be even better to go to your gdoc and see if you can get a prescription for Lovaza (omega-3 acid ethyl esters). If your insurance doesn't pay for it, there's a new prescription product they make product called Vascepa (icosapent ethyl) that is a prodrug to just EPA (4000 mg of it) (there's also a coupon on their website I believe that will save on copay). EPA is known to help with depression, too.

This is more for triglycerides but may have an effect on cholesterol too.

Also, as for your blood sugar, you could probably ask your gdoc about getting an oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) to see how your glucose tolerance is. If you are beginning to show any signs of insulin resistance, s/he may want to put you on something like metformin (ER) as a first line med for pre-diabetes to keep you from developing full-blown diabetes. If metformin doesn't work and you have the insurance to pay for it, I would highly recommend Victoza (liraglutide). It dropped my A1c from 5.8% to 5.0% in a matter of 3 months. I'm technically no longer diabetic, but I still take it because apparently they've discovered and are doing clinical trials for benefits for bipolar individuals for mood stability for bipolar depression and cognitive deficits associated with bipolar disorder, plus it helps you lose weight (which those benefits have long since stopped), and is cardioprotective. As my doctor said when I asked him what he thought about it, "it's one hell of a drug!"

Depending on how high your cholesterol has been raised, your gdoc may want to put you on a statin. There are varying intensities of statin therapy according to what drug and what dosage is used. For example:

  • Low-Intensity Statin Therapy
    [Lowers LDL-C by < 30%]
    fluvastatin 20-40 mg/day; lovastatin 20 mg/day; pitavastatin 1 mg/day; pravastatin 10-20 mg/day; simvastatin 10 mg/day
  • Moderate-Intensity Statin Therapy
    [Lowers LDL-C by 30-49%]
    atorvastatin 10-20 mg/day; fluvastatin 80 mg/day; lovastatin 40 mg/day; pitavastatin 2-4 mg/day; pravastatin 40-80 mg/day; rosuvastatin 5-10 mg/day; simvastatin 20-40 mg/day
  • High-Intensity Statin Therapy
    [Lowers LDL-C by > 50%]
    atorvastatin 40-80 mg/day; rosuvastatin 20-40 mg/day

I've heard there are some cognitive deficits associated with statin therapy, but that's just hearsay and not from any research I've done.

As for some natural supplements... You could try taking garlic, green tea, and coQ10. Niacin is another supplement which may reduce cholesterol and triglycerides, but it requires high doses that requires slow titration, and can actually increase glucose resistance over time, so probably isn't such a good idea. Soy and whey protein are both good for lowering cholesterol, whey protein probably being better.

Despite these supplements, I've read that a statin medication may still be necessary if your cholesterol is high enough.

I must say though, it's odd that Abilify would do all that to you. If Abilify does that to you, then I can't imagine what your next go-to medicine would be... Maybe Geodon? Rexulti? Vraylar?

Anyway, I wish you good luck! :) 

Your knowledge of different medications surpasses most doctors! Amazing! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently went through going off abilify, but not by my own choice.  Things kept getting worse until about a month when I was stuck in bed and wanting it all to end.  I don't recommend letting it go that far.  My psychiatrist at the VA finally gave in after my wife called the veterans crisis line and they got involved, and now I am back on abilify fortunately.  Within a couple days I was feeling much better.

Abilify is known to raise blood sugar levels, I just don't remember how common that side effect is.  My blood pressure, heart rate, and weight all went down during that month I was off abilify, but I would rather deal with those side effects, now that I know what the alternative is.

I've been on two different statins, atorvastatin sounds familiar and I think the other was lipidor.  I couldn't stay on either because they both made me really physically exhausted and due to my depression issues it was too much for me.  I refuse statins now whenever they get recommended.  Quality over quantify in my opinion as to how much longer I am here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2017 at 11:25 AM, mikl_pls said:

If it were me, I'd try taking a really good omega-3 supplement (not one of the crappy "Fish Oil" supplements...)

I mean something like this: *link removed*

It's a little pricey, but it's worth it. Something with more than 1000 mg of total omega-3 fatty acids.

In fact, if your insurance will pay for it still (mine quit paying for it, jerks...), it'd be even better to go to your gdoc and see if you can get a prescription for Lovaza (omega-3 acid ethyl esters). If your insurance doesn't pay for it, there's a new prescription product they make product called Vascepa (icosapent ethyl) that is a prodrug to just EPA (4000 mg of it) (there's also a coupon on their website I believe that will save on copay). EPA is known to help with depression, too.

This is more for triglycerides but may have an effect on cholesterol too.

Also, as for your blood sugar, you could probably ask your gdoc about getting an oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) to see how your glucose tolerance is. If you are beginning to show any signs of insulin resistance, s/he may want to put you on something like metformin (ER) as a first line med for pre-diabetes to keep you from developing full-blown diabetes. If metformin doesn't work and you have the insurance to pay for it, I would highly recommend Victoza (liraglutide). It dropped my A1c from 5.8% to 5.0% in a matter of 3 months. I'm technically no longer diabetic, but I still take it because apparently they've discovered and are doing clinical trials for benefits for bipolar individuals for mood stability for bipolar depression and cognitive deficits associated with bipolar disorder, plus it helps you lose weight (which those benefits have long since stopped), and is cardioprotective. As my doctor said when I asked him what he thought about it, "it's one hell of a drug!"

Depending on how high your cholesterol has been raised, your gdoc may want to put you on a statin. There are varying intensities of statin therapy according to what drug and what dosage is used. For example:

  • Low-Intensity Statin Therapy
    [Lowers LDL-C by < 30%]
    fluvastatin 20-40 mg/day; lovastatin 20 mg/day; pitavastatin 1 mg/day; pravastatin 10-20 mg/day; simvastatin 10 mg/day
  • Moderate-Intensity Statin Therapy
    [Lowers LDL-C by 30-49%]
    atorvastatin 10-20 mg/day; fluvastatin 80 mg/day; lovastatin 40 mg/day; pitavastatin 2-4 mg/day; pravastatin 40-80 mg/day; rosuvastatin 5-10 mg/day; simvastatin 20-40 mg/day
  • High-Intensity Statin Therapy
    [Lowers LDL-C by > 50%]
    atorvastatin 40-80 mg/day; rosuvastatin 20-40 mg/day

I've heard there are some cognitive deficits associated with statin therapy, but that's just hearsay and not from any research I've done.

As for some natural supplements... You could try taking garlic, green tea, and coQ10. Niacin is another supplement which may reduce cholesterol and triglycerides, but it requires high doses that requires slow titration, and can actually increase glucose resistance over time, so probably isn't such a good idea. Soy and whey protein are both good for lowering cholesterol, whey protein probably being better.

Despite these supplements, I've read that a statin medication may still be necessary if your cholesterol is high enough.

I must say though, it's odd that Abilify would do all that to you. If Abilify does that to you, then I can't imagine what your next go-to medicine would be... Maybe Geodon? Rexulti? Vraylar?

Anyway, I wish you good luck! :) 

My recommendation is if you decide to take a prescription omega-3 that you take Vascepa. Lovaza has a combination of DHA and EPA, but most studies show that DHA shouldn't really be given in great doses into adulthood because it doesn't really do much for triglycerides and can actually make your LDL worse. EPA is what you should be taking as an adult and Vascepa is purely EPA unlike Lovaza.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2017 at 9:20 AM, jay89 said:

Your knowledge of different medications surpasses most doctors! Amazing! 

I'm deeply humbled. :)

Also, I keep forgetting there's no links allowed on this website... :X

On 3/23/2017 at 2:00 AM, dude333 said:

Abilify is known to raise blood sugar levels, I just don't remember how common that side effect is.  

I've been on two different statins, atorvastatin sounds familiar and I think the other was lipidor.  I couldn't stay on either because they both made me really physically exhausted and due to my depression issues it was too much for me.  I refuse statins now whenever they get recommended.  Quality over quantify in my opinion as to how much longer I am here.

2

Abilify never raised my blood sugar levels, but YMMV.

There's gotta be a statin that'll be good for you. There's bunches of them. Which one you take and the dosage depends on how much your cholesterol needs to be lowered.

On 5/25/2017 at 0:13 PM, browri said:

My recommendation is if you decide to take a prescription omega-3 that you take Vascepa. Lovaza has a combination of DHA and EPA, but most studies show that DHA shouldn't really be given in great doses into adulthood because it doesn't really do much for triglycerides and can actually make your LDL worse. EPA is what you should be taking as an adult and Vascepa is purely EPA unlike Lovaza.

I have been very curious about Vascepa. I just wonder if my insurance would cover it since they yanked the coverage of Lovaza from under me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

I have been very curious about Vascepa. I just wonder if my insurance would cover it since they yanked the coverage of Lovaza from under me.

For me, Vascepa is a preferred brand because it isn't generic yet. So $30/30-day. But the coupon makes it $9. Also, they extended my coupon beyond the 1-year mark. By the time I reached one year, they sent me an email that they were extending my coupon for another year. I haven't paid more than $9 for 120 capsules at a time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, browri said:

For me, Vascepa is a preferred brand because it isn't generic yet. So $30/30-day. But the coupon makes it $9. Also, they extended my coupon beyond the 1-year mark. By the time I reached one year, they sent me an email that they were extending my coupon for another year. I haven't paid more than $9 for 120 capsules at a time.

Verey nice! I'll probably ask about that next time I see my gdoc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, mikl_pls said:

Verey nice! I'll probably ask about that next time I see my gdoc.

It's worth it. My triglycerides are still a bit high but they're lower than they were and the only real side effect for me is gas, mostly flatulence tbh but my partner also took it for a while and stopped because of the fishy burps. He's using rosuvastatin now to manage hypertriglyceridemia. I find Vascepa to be more tolerable than he did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...